19 replies to this topic

#1 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6270 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 07:35 PM

Feel free to comment and discuss this game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks don't hesitate to share them with the others! Thanks!

Review + download

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

#2 Dvoe

Dvoe

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 09:08 PM

Considering that Babylon 5 is my favorite television series of all time I feel I have an obligartion to try this game out. :ok:

#3 SupSuper

SupSuper

N00b-a-R00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 09:48 PM

Another one is that game has issues with ATI graphic cards.
Not with me :ok:

Anyways I knew about the game way before getting uploaded here, it is indeed a great game and very true to the series (in terms of media since the game's based on a fanfic based on Babylon 5 :D ). And it is indeed very hard as I can't get past the first mission in which I don't have a squad to back me up :ok:
This was brought to you by SupSuper aka Daniel Albano

#4 hfric

hfric

N00b-a-R00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 07:32 PM

:ok: love this kind of games , thanks for the info and for the great review  :D
user posted image

#5 Blood-Pigggy

Blood-Pigggy

No mo' jibba jabba

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1901 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 09:31 PM

Babylon 5: I've Eaten And Enjoyed Her Brains

It's a pretty cool space sim style thingy, this has been in production for a LOOONG time. (I think it started shortly after the official game got cancelled).

Knight of the PICKLEWAESEL order!!1!21
Best Topics Ever: Aywanez Splenda Women PICKLEWESSEL Signs OMG

#6 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • 6270 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 09:45 PM

Yup since about 1998 or 1999 when the Sierra one was canceled.

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

#7 gregor

gregor

Member Munchkin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 09:27 AM

SupSuper, on Feb 14 2006, 09:48 PM, said:

Another one is that game has issues with ATI graphic cards.
Not with me :ok:
great, yet still i read some posts on their forum and some documentation mentioning that. and my Radeon 9200 also had a slight problem with it.

But it is quite a good game.

tip: since the weapons are overheating make sure you aim well before you start shooting. that should kill them fast.

#8 Blood-Pigggy

Blood-Pigggy

No mo' jibba jabba

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1901 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 11:08 PM

K, just finished the game.
And what's with the negatives?

"Overheating weapons"? That's a ordinary/space sim staple, since Privateer it's been quite common to have weapons that would overheat, it's a regulation so you don't go gung-ho.

The enemies didn't seem to take too long to die either, in fact, they were a bit easier to kill than those in, say, Freespace 2 or Wing Commander Gold, I found it to be a bit too much of shooting them in the back of their ships then going on to the next one.

#9 Fruit Pie Jones

Fruit Pie Jones

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 06:23 PM

Blood-Pigggy, on Mar 1 2006, 05:08 PM, said:

"Overheating weapons"? That's a ordinary/space sim staple, since Privateer it's been quite common to have weapons that would overheat, it's a regulation so you don't go gung-ho.
It's been going on longer than that; overheating weapons were in the first Wing Commander.  It's like you said; they had to put something in to keep players from simply flying around with the trigger pulled the entire time.
Today is a good day for pie.

#10 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4277 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 01:10 PM

The big question remains: why on earth would those ships have infinite batteries and so they need to overheat if overused... But it's just me, I've always favored limited ammunition.
...70 years... LOL

#11 PrejudiceSucks

PrejudiceSucks

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1865 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 06:01 PM

Juni Ori, on Mar 3 2006, 01:10 PM, said:

The big question remains: why on earth would those ships have infinite batteries and so they need to overheat if overused... But it's just me, I've always favored limited ammunition.
So that idiots don't run out of battery power just before the last enemy on the map has to be killed. That kind of thing really, really annoys people.

See Crimson Skies, where my mate uninstalled it for that very reason.

#12 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4277 posts

Posted 04 March 2006 - 11:43 AM

Well, didn't you like Operation Flashpoint? Isn't that then annoying to get low or out of ammo with your M-16/AK-74? Surprisingly many whom I've talked with prefers limited ammo, not overheating or otherwise stupid regulation for firing guns.
...70 years... LOL

#13 PrejudiceSucks

PrejudiceSucks

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1865 posts

Posted 04 March 2006 - 01:52 PM

I actually like it on Operation Flashpoint, I play with the crosshair off too, but when something's set in the future, it's not beyond the realms of possibility that laser guns or whatever wouldn't have ammunition and would instead run from generators, and hence possibly overheat instead of run out of power.

That's just what I think on thet matter, anyway.

#14 Blood-Pigggy

Blood-Pigggy

No mo' jibba jabba

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1901 posts

Posted 04 March 2006 - 05:01 PM

Flight sims and space sims are extremely different from other genres, their gameplay relies on realism (Flight) or trying to create a realistic and believable way that ships will operate in the future (Space) their goal is to "simulate" as in the name, so they're usually way more complex and rather more difficult.

Operation Flashpoint was an exceptional game, but I wouldn't compare the style of gameplay to that of a flight or space sim, even if it is only about limited ammo or such, they rather have much different ramifications in either game.

#15 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • 6270 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 12:59 AM

C'mon everyone, as great as Operation Flashpoint is, it's clearly not Babylon 5, back on topic. :(

Reply to this topic