#16 Sinke

Sinke

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 11:33 PM

Crucks!
One can always get mocked for being polite.

#17 a1s

a1s

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 11:41 PM

A. J. Raffles, on May 19 2006, 09:15 PM, said:

By the way, sorry if this is a stupid question, but how exactly would anyone pirate TV series? By recording them on videotape?:P
That's a big question isn't it? how can you pirate something that they show on public access (that's the term for 'normal' TV, right?), and anyone can see free whenever they want (or rather when it's shown, but thats what VCRs are for).
Those of you being liberal-art majors � don�t worry, advanced mathematics were largely omitted from this text in concern for your mental health.

QUOTE (Mighty Midget)
if BP has potied on Twilight Zone episode, I will strangle him

secret adept of the PICKALLONWEASEL order

#18 Blood-Pigggy

Blood-Pigggy

No mo' jibba jabba

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1901 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 11:54 PM

a1s, on May 19 2006, 11:41 PM, said:

A. J. Raffles, on May 19 2006, 09:15 PM, said:

By the way, sorry if this is a stupid question, but how exactly would anyone pirate TV series? By recording them on videotape?:P
That's a big question isn't it? how can you pirate something that they show on public access (that's the term for 'normal' TV, right?), and anyone can see free whenever they want (or rather when it's shown, but thats what VCRs are for).
That's actually a stupid question.
Not to offend either of you.

When you watch TV shows on your PC that you illegally downloaded, you aren't directly watching a channel, the more people that watch a channel, the more sponsors will recognize the channel, and the more money the channel will get.
Then, when you buy the DVD for a TV show, it goes directly to the company that made the show, instead of the channel paying for the show to go on the air, where the show creates ratings, which will make more people watch, and more sponsors recognize open advertising space.

It's simple really.

Knight of the PICKLEWAESEL order!!1!21
Best Topics Ever: Aywanez Splenda Women PICKLEWESSEL Signs OMG

#19 Himmler

Himmler

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 12:11 AM

gah..i made an error..i said i have 3000 hr on winamp :P

#20 Moogle

Moogle

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1035 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 12:25 AM

$691.23 total
$353.60 is from music, I've only dld one movie, and only like 3 games...which are freeware / Abandoned.

...oribly more on music, cause I just estimated for thr Kh2 OST, cause theres like 73 tracks..and I dun wana add them all up, and its x4 the original price cause everything is imported.

...oh crap..I forgot like my 100 SNES / NES games....
Well...that made a huge difference.
$6332.2

#21 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6270 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 06:51 AM

I can only imagine my music, so many cd's, correction so many metal cds and only one collection of artists done Rhapsody. :P

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

#22 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6304 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 08:03 AM

Blood-Pigggy, on May 19 2006, 11:54 PM, said:

When you watch TV shows on your PC that you illegally downloaded, you aren't directly watching a channel, the more people that watch a channel, the more sponsors will recognize the channel, and the more money the channel will get.
Then, when you buy the DVD for a TV show, it goes directly to the company that made the show, instead of the channel paying for the show to go on the air, where the show creates ratings, which will make more people watch, and more sponsors recognize open advertising space.

It's simple really.
I can see that illegally downloaded TV series (I never even knew there was such a thing, but then again there's more things in heaven and earth, etc...) would count as pirating. What about TV series you record on videotape, though? Suppose you record today's Futurama episode on tape, because you know you're not going to be in to watch it. When you come back from your granny's birthday party, you watch the tape but don't delete it afterwards, because it turns out to be your favourite episode of all you've ever seen. Would that make the tape you kept a pirated copy? I'm just wondering, because while you'd obviously have to go to illegal sites to download the episode to your computer, video recorders and empty cassettes can be legally bought for just that purpose: to record things that are on TV...:P

@a1s: TV isn't really "public access", though, is it? You need to pay for a TV licence and if you've got cable TV, you need to pay for that on a monthly(?) basis, too. Or decoders you need to rent for some of those fancy channels that broadcast nothing but sports or stuff like that. If you don't pay up, you can't watch.

"Flippin' immigrants, stealin' our bandwidth etc. etc." - PrejudiceSucks

#23 Tulac

Tulac

The Great Red Lemur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1546 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 08:44 AM

Well about TV being public access it depends from country to country, here you have to pay a monthly (tax, fee?) for owning a television, from this money public programmes are financed, I think the same is in the UK with BBC, I'm not sure if your TV is taxed everyhwere in the world though...

About the TV recording I think it's on the murky side of the law, I think you can record for your own needs, but you can't spread the recorded content...

DakaSha:if you go into a kindergarden and give all the kids rubber schlongs they will prob just hit each other over the head with them
DakaSha:and you have a class of little kids hitting eachother with rubber dongs which must be quite funny (also Picklweasel knight I am)

#24 Flop

Flop

Aspiring Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1318 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 09:19 AM

Tulac, on May 20 2006, 10:44 AM, said:

About the TV recording I think it's on the murky side of the law, I think you can record for your own needs, but you can't spread the recorded content...
I believe I read somewhere that some of the really fanatic anti-pirate people, along with some station managers and advertising people, actually consider flipping to another channel or going to the bathroom during the commercial breaks stealing. I'm sure those people would also consider taping anything stealing (since most people would fast forward over the commercials, assuming they tape those at all).

Too bad they can't enforce it, and that they don't have the law on their side. :P
Furthermore, it is my opinion that Carthage must be destroyed.

#25 Tulac

Tulac

The Great Red Lemur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1546 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 09:23 AM

Too bad they can't enforce it
Unfortunately Phillips is testing a device which is hooked to your TV (or will be integrated in players) which will force you to watch the commercials...

DakaSha:if you go into a kindergarden and give all the kids rubber schlongs they will prob just hit each other over the head with them
DakaSha:and you have a class of little kids hitting eachother with rubber dongs which must be quite funny (also Picklweasel knight I am)

#26 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6304 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 12:44 PM

Tulac, on May 20 2006, 09:23 AM, said:

Too bad they can't enforce it
Unfortunately Phillips is testing a device which is hooked to your TV (or will be integrated in players) which will force you to watch the commercials...
Well, you'd still be free to walk away or turn off the volume, right?

"Flippin' immigrants, stealin' our bandwidth etc. etc." - PrejudiceSucks

#27 Tulac

Tulac

The Great Red Lemur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1546 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 12:44 PM

One can only hope...

#28 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4277 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 12:46 PM

Tulac, on May 20 2006, 12:44 PM, said:

One can only hope...
  :P Tulac, paranoid?
...70 years... LOL

#29 Tulac

Tulac

The Great Red Lemur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1546 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 12:57 PM

ALIENS??? WHERE??

#30 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4277 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 12:59 PM

What if we all are..?
...70 years... LOL