Spore

45 replies to this topic

#16 Doubler

Doubler

A regular Llama

• Admin
  • 2740 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 01:12 PM

Even the Sims was an awesome departure from the norm, back when it was first released. It's just been made into it's own polar opposite :whistle:

Wonderfull sig and avvie by Taikara :D

#17 Eagle of Fire

Eagle of Fire

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 11:17 PM

You know guys, you are pretty fast on your feet. Calling a game a new game not even finished yet a gem only by playing a small demo?

I don't know for you guys, but I was promised a game which would have several stages. A sim game, a strategic 4X and a RTS all in one.

Fiddling with the character generation won't satisfy me one bit. I'm not even planning on downloading it. I'll give my final oppinion when the game ship.
"I am on a hot streak... Literally"

#18 _r.u.s.s.

_r.u.s.s.

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 12:14 AM

so you basically said that you can't rate a game if you haven't seen it, YET you said that character generation doesn't satisfy you even without downloading and trying it
www.abandonia.com < www.reloaded.org
right now :(

#19 Blood-Pigggy

Blood-Pigggy

No mo' jibba jabba

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1901 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 02:39 AM

View PostEagle of Fire, on Jun 21 2008, 07:17 PM, said:

You know guys, you are pretty fast on your feet. Calling a game a new game not even finished yet a gem only by playing a small demo?

I don't know for you guys, but I was promised a game which would have several stages. A sim game, a strategic 4X and a RTS all in one.

Fiddling with the character generation won't satisfy me one bit. I'm not even planning on downloading it. I'll give my final oppinion when the game ship.

We've already gotten a taste of the game, it's coming from a reliable developer with a proven track record, there has been plenty of media releases that showcases every aspect of the game in a detail and clear manner. There have been no PR hacks spreading buzz words and nonsense, it's been the developers and Will Wright himself conveying their ideas.

The game has been in development for awhile with strong progress made during each month, the developers are obviously using their time well. They're vocal and excited about their game, clearly indicating that it is coming along well and they're confident in their progress.

We're not talking about some no name company releasing a game like STALKER or something that just happens to come out after five years of delays and occasional news, this is a game that has been kept up to date concerning the public from its conception to its impending release.

There's more than a tiny bit of evidence that this is shaping up to be a hell of a game.

Look at the difference between this and the hype behind Fallout 3. Fallout 3 is already being called a piece of crap because it's an obvious conclusion you can draw from the company's history and the way they are handling the game's PR.

This kind of stuff has been making it easy to decide whether or not a game will be great for a real damn long time. Look at Daikatana, Lionheart, or Fable - there were clear signs before their release and during their development that they would turn out to be disappointments.

"Don't judge it until you've played it" is not a very valid statement in the gaming industry, it's incredibly easy to look at a game and see how entertaining or how good it is. Even if the game may be relatively boring to watch (any war game) you can immediately tell if it was well done or not, the difference between a John Tiller wargame and some archaically styled piece of junk.

Spore looks like it will achieve what it set out to achieve, and the team behind it are extremely confident. What makes it all come together is that there are no PR personalities slathering up the game, that's a big sign that something good is coming out of it all.
Blizzard is a good example as well, no one but the developers ever go up and talk about the game in public, because the developers are confident. Bethesda on the other hand, has people like Todd Howard and Pete Hines who provide little or no input to the game itself (hey, Todd may be the lead designer of Fallout 3, but he doesn't do squat really) but just approach every publication.

Easy stuff to tell EoF. Wright hasn't disappointed at all during his career when he was at the helm of project. He won't now I'm certain.

Knight of the PICKLEWAESEL order!!1!21
Best Topics Ever: Aywanez Splenda Women PICKLEWESSEL Signs OMG

#20 Eagle of Fire

Eagle of Fire

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 02:58 PM

I certainly hope you are right. This doesn't change my oppinion one bit though. I been disapointed so often in the past few years, I won't join the hype until I play it for myself.

And as I said, the character generation is not something which appeal to me at all. It's simply part of the big plan, a tool at the beginning of the game to shape up the rest of it. It's like the hilt of a dagger without it's blade. It has no chance to impress me until I see the end result.

#21 Blood-Pigggy

Blood-Pigggy

No mo' jibba jabba

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1901 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 05:48 PM

It is the blade of the dagger EoF, the functionality of your entire creature is based upon its design. If you have some small little round thing with tiny arms and a flat mouth, it's most likely going to be a social race that grows up by being conservative and careful in the solo creature stage.

#22 Eagle of Fire

Eagle of Fire

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 07:14 PM

I know that BP. But even if that part of the game is incredibly well done, if those data packets are not used right then the rest of the game won't even be worth playing.

The character generator is only a tiny fraction of the whole game, that's all. :whistle:

#23 Doubler

Doubler

A regular Llama

• Admin
  • 2740 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 08:19 PM

The way I see it, the creature creator is something perfectly capable of standing on it's own :max:
That there's going to be a game around it is a plus :whistle:

Wonderfull sig and avvie by Taikara :D

#24 Blood-Pigggy

Blood-Pigggy

No mo' jibba jabba

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1901 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 09:38 PM

View PostEagle of Fire, on Jun 22 2008, 03:14 PM, said:

I know that BP. But even if that part of the game is incredibly well done, if those data packets are not used right then the rest of the game won't even be worth playing.

The character generator is only a tiny fraction of the whole game, that's all. :whistle:

No, that's not the point. The point you were trying to make is that you won't buy the creature editor before the game comes out if you don't know whether or not it's going to be great.
My point is that Spore will most likely be great, and the Creature Creator is worth buying because it will show one of the most important aspects of it.

You're reasoning is flawed, the Creature Creator is standalone, therefore you buy it on its merits and not on the final game's alone, the fact that it also acts as a preorder fund for the final product is merely a bonus.

The thing I'm trying to say is that the Creature Creator DOES show off a very important aspect of the game, creating a creature, which is behind everything in the final game and not only that, it is a game in itself.

If you won't buy a cheap package that is already far more entertaining to use than the majority of products out there then that's weird.
You're contradicting yourself here EoF. You're saying that you won't judge the final product until it comes out, yet you won't play a standalone product that has already come out, and as _r.u.s.s. said, you're not even trying it because you don't know what the final product will be like even though this is a standalone piece of software.

It makes no sense. Try out the creature creation because it's the creature creation and it's fun and it has a free demo (that is almost just as fun), not because it's the creature creation in Spore.

#25 Eagle of Fire

Eagle of Fire

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 12:28 AM

I am not contradicting myself. I didn't even know the demo was a "stand alone" program. That doesn't make sense.

Anyways, I am certainly not going to waste money on a single demo. I have far more important (RL) work to do in the summer than to waste my time on something like this.

I look forward to the final release. I never cared much for demos.

#26 Blood-Pigggy

Blood-Pigggy

No mo' jibba jabba

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1901 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 01:12 AM

You're dense.

The Creature Creator is STANDALONE. There is a separate TRIAL of it. The Creature Creator is NOT A DEMO. You PAY FOR IT because it is a STANDALONE PRODUCT. It is a product SEPARATE from Spore.

Jesus EoF.

#27 Eagle of Fire

Eagle of Fire

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 01:29 AM

And you are repeating this because?

#28 Blood-Pigggy

Blood-Pigggy

No mo' jibba jabba

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1901 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 10:32 AM

Cause I'm crazy like dat.

#29 Eagle of Fire

Eagle of Fire

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 03:49 PM

:whistle:

It's not that I don't understand what you're saying BP. I just don't adhere to your train of thought.

I am certainly looking forward to the "real" game. 80 days still to wait or something? That will be perfect, the hot season will be on it's last leg then. :max:

#30 Docktor_Worm

Docktor_Worm

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 12:28 AM

how is it not worth $10 for a game that is more ingenious and FUN than almost anything else out there, even if it really is a demo in many ways? either way, who cares what the final game will be like right now, the creator is entertaining enough as it is.
IPB Image
...her rabid glow is like braille to the night

Reply to this topic