136 replies to this topic

#31 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4277 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 09:34 AM

EoF, I remember well all the fuzz. However it didn't concern me, because I had bought my game vanilla. On a certain degree I do accept file sharing, as long as it is to really test the final product. Like happened to me for example in case of Civ4. Friend of mine loaned the game to me (yes, purchased) and I tried it out. I returned the game after several days and never bought it.
...70 years... LOL

#32 Potatoe

Potatoe

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1487 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 12:41 PM

There's something called MetaCritic. By your posts here, most of you have no idea what's going on in the gaming world right now... Also, how can you buy anything in this world based on the things you said? Everything is biased these days? Do we care? No... Piracy is wrong, and the civ3 scandal is a one time event, usually the companies will fix these kinds of things fast and refund the game.

#33 _r.u.s.s.

_r.u.s.s.

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 12:47 PM

piracy is not wrong. kids who download games and don't buy them afterwards are wrong

and honestly, buyng a cat in a bag is stupid. (in slovak it means that you buy something and you don't know what)
www.abandonia.com < www.reloaded.org
right now :(

#34 Potatoe

Potatoe

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1487 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 02:21 PM

View Post_r.u.s.s., on Dec 23 2007, 02:47 PM, said:

piracy is not wrong. kids who download games and don't buy them afterwards are wrong

and honestly, buyng a cat in a bag is stupid. (in slovak it means that you buy something and you don't know what)
With the wonders of the internet you don't have to. Check out multiple reviews,  download the demo and check gameplay videos. Aah, the wonders of the internet.  Piracy is wrong. The people who sell them are making money off the people who worked hard on the game and are trying to make an honest living.

#35 _r.u.s.s.

_r.u.s.s.

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 02:54 PM

so i will spend time reading demented through many reviews, download the uncomplete demo and then maybe buy the game..? jesus, i will rather just download the whole game, play it and decide for myself whether i like it or not.
it's not that i didn't pay for the game so the *crapola* about people making for their living is a *bovine droppings*

#36 Doubler

Doubler

A regular Llama

• Admin
  • 2740 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 03:24 PM

I wonder how far people think this goes?

Is piracy equally dispicable when the game is no longer available at all? Or if your location makes it impossible to buy the game legally*? How about when the makers of the game have long since had their share, and the only one who recieves any money from sales is a corporation with no ties whatsoever with the game development?

*A situation I know from the past. Legal games barely existed when I was very young. There was the black market where you'd buy games, but there were no accesible stores selling legal software.

On a side-note, it's a funny thing; in my experience this situation changed after the cd was introduced. From then on I and the generation with me also started having money to spend on games (in my case, that was a bit later). However, this also meant the companies behind the games gained some influence. So in my experience the industry only really began complaining about piracy when we starting buying their stuff :P

Wonderfull sig and avvie by Taikara :D

#37 Frodo

Frodo

Your neck looks very... tasty!

• Admin
  • 9533 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 03:34 PM

I think there is a BIG difference with pirating a game that you can buy in the shops, and downloading one that is no longer available.  

If a company refuses to sell a game, then they can't complain when people download it from abandonware sites.  There are many games I would love to buy from a company (I believe we should support game companies whenever possible), but they don't acknowledge that game anymore.  Some games are hard to get, even from places like eBay.  

But if a game is easily available to buy, then I would much rather buy it.   :P
Please click on my dragons to help them grow -    Posted Image   Posted Image   Posted Image

#38 _r.u.s.s.

_r.u.s.s.

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 03:36 PM

View PostDoubler, on Dec 23 2007, 04:24 PM, said:

I wonder how far people think this goes?

Is piracy equally dispicable when the game is no longer available at all? Or if your location makes it impossible to buy the game legally*? How about when the makers of the game have long since had their share, and the only one who recieves any money from sales is a corporation with no ties whatsoever with the game development?

*A situation I know from the past. Legal games barely existed when I was very young. There was the black market where you'd buy games, but there were no accesible stores selling legal software.

On a side-note, it's a funny thing; in my experience this situation changed after the cd was introduced. From then on I and the generation with me also started having money to spend on games (in my case, that was a bit later). However, this also meant the companies behind the games gained some influence. So in my experience the industry only really began complaining about piracy when we starting buying their stuff LOL
Š¾mg, imagine: people downloading the games, finishing it and then sending money right to the developers (not the distributor) with a note sayng that you have downloaded the pirated copy and send money right to them cause you like the game :P

#39 Potatoe

Potatoe

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1487 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 04:57 PM

View PostFrodo, on Dec 23 2007, 05:34 PM, said:

I think there is a BIG difference with pirating a game that you can buy in the shops, and downloading one that is no longer available.  

If a company refuses to sell a game, then they can't complain when people download it from abandonware sites.  There are many games I would love to buy from a company (I believe we should support game companies whenever possible), but they don't acknowledge that game anymore.  Some games are hard to get, even from places like eBay.  

But if a game is easily available to buy, then I would much rather buy it.   :P
Abandonware is OK in eyes. But I like having the actual CD/DVD of the game. And RUSS, please stop trying to make piracy/downloading comercial games illegaly sound like it's ok to do. It's not. It's stealing. It does not make any more right if you send money to the developers. Did you know: The distributors need money too.

#40 _r.u.s.s.

_r.u.s.s.

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 05:31 PM

you don't get it. once again, it's stealing if you don't pay for it. and kids like you think if you download the game it's yours. no- it's not. if you like it, pay and support, if you don't, *meep* the developers.

btw yes i know the distributors need money too but distributors didn't make the game and i don't appretiate them. companies like these (in music industry too) are the biggest *censore* ever

#41 Blood-Pigggy

Blood-Pigggy

No mo' jibba jabba

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1901 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 05:33 PM

What the hell is the point of Metacritic, it takes the opinions of all the critics I loathe and puts them in one place.

Don't forget fiascoes like Morrowind or Oblivion, games I wouldn't play for two hours straight, much less two hours at all actually.

Knight of the PICKLEWAESEL order!!1!21
Best Topics Ever: Aywanez Splenda Women PICKLEWESSEL Signs OMG

#42 chumloofah

chumloofah

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 05:45 PM

Piracy's a popular one.
I'm not really for it, but i wouldn't go so far as to say I'm against it.
Charge silly amounts for software, expect to be pirated.

And no, it isn't stealing.
Stealing would be to take the property of another.
Having a copy of that property doesn't take from the distributor, it fails to give.
Unfortunately, the unique lingo of the businessman (where we lost 5 mill this year through half hearted sales pitches) has gone global and made it rough to differentiate.

Personally, if I like a game I'd rather buy it to show a spot of support to the folks responsible than not, but I won't be buying the *crapola* they're trying to feed us every day to guilt our money in their direction.

#43 Potatoe

Potatoe

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1487 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 05:54 PM

View PostBlood-Pigggy, on Dec 23 2007, 07:33 PM, said:

What the hell is the point of Metacritic, it takes the opinions of all the critics I loathe and puts them in one place.

Don't forget fiascoes like Morrowind or Oblivion, games I wouldn't play for two hours straight, much less two hours at all actually.
What are you talking about? Morrowind was and still is awesome. There is also something called friends that can recommend games to your if unsure. I don't know if you have heard of these "friends" but they are supposed to be really useful and good.

_russ said:

you don't get it. once again, it's stealing if you don't pay for it. and kids like you think if you download the game it's yours. no- it's not. if you like it, pay and support, if you don't, *meep* the developers.

btw yes i know the distributors need money too but distributors didn't make the game and i don't appretiate them. companies like these (in music industry too) are the biggest *censore* ever
Can I get that in English? The distributors didn't make the game, true. But they still bust their *money-maker* every day to bring these games on our store shelves. You truly are an idiot. There is no other word for you. Just because you can't see someone's influence on the final product, doesn't mean they haven't busted their *money-maker* making the product.

It's twice the effort if you try and download it and send money to the developer rather than just go out and get the game.

steal      /stil/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[steel] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation, verb, stole, sto·len, steal·ing, noun
–verb (used with object)
1. to take (the property of another or others) without permission or right, esp. secretly or by force: A pickpocket stole his watch.
2. to appropriate (ideas, credit, words, etc.) without right or acknowledgment.
3. to take, get, or win insidiously, surreptitiously, subtly, or by chance: He stole my girlfriend.

Yes, of course piracy isn't stealing. It sure as hell fits the description of stealing... Maybe you guys should stop living with your heads up your asses where piracy is justified.

#44 Blood-Pigggy

Blood-Pigggy

No mo' jibba jabba

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1901 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 06:01 PM

Morrowind is a terrible boring piece of junk, the last good canonical entry in The Elder Scrolls was Daggerfall, hell, even Arena sucked compared to Betrayal At Krondor, which came out at around the same time.

The only two good games that series ever created was Redguard and Daggerfall, and even then they have their fair share of problems.

Also my friends play stupid games, I introduced one of them to Civilization 4 and they began playing that, but that's the farthest I've ever gotten to them playing anything other than Halo 3 or whatever other crappy shooter is out there. You can't take the opinions of friends when the only games they grew up on are simple ones, they're casual gamers, it's not a hobby to them as it is to me.

Knight of the PICKLEWAESEL order!!1!21
Best Topics Ever: Aywanez Splenda Women PICKLEWESSEL Signs OMG

#45 chumloofah

chumloofah

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 06:04 PM

Definition number 2 is a relatively new addition, and I don't buy it in that context.
Piracy breaches copyright, it's not theft.
What you've got there is an example of advertising goons using an emotive term they think will do the job as a synonym with oomph, and doing it so thoroughly that it's creeping into the vernacular.

If they want my support on piracy, I'll tell them the same things I tell the drug people.
"No more *crapola*. Just the facts, Jack."