#16 Moogle

Moogle

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1035 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 03:33 PM

Did you know?

Most of the stuff I watch hasn't even been released in the states or even finished airing in Japan? Theres more to anime than Adult Swim, go play where you actually know what you're dealing with.

Mmmmph....stupid torrent only got 4% into the soundtrack and 50% into each episode >_> grrrrr

#17 Blood-Pigggy

Blood-Pigggy

No mo' jibba jabba

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1901 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 06:35 PM

Oh, I'm sorry, I don't PIRATE every single movie that hasn't been released in the US yet, that's why I've patiently been waiting for the release of Crying Freeman for years now, and you probably haven't even heard of that.

Knight of the PICKLEWAESEL order!!1!21
Best Topics Ever: Aywanez Splenda Women PICKLEWESSEL Signs OMG

#18 taikara

taikara

Tai-Fu Mastah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2389 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 07:13 PM

Must every anime discussion degrade into this?

Seriously, stop, or I'll close this one, too.
..<[[[Tofu Ninja of the Pickasldawessle Order]]]>..
QUOTE (Tai - in response to DD on how people who fear change are like cats)
you mean the "you moved my litterbox, so I'm going to pee in your clothes hamper" attitude?
Yes, I just quoted myself. ph34r my T4i-F00!!.
doodoodoo!!!

#19 Tom Henrik

Tom Henrik

Funktastic Pimptabulous

• Validating
  • 2784 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 07:24 PM

To get back at the original question:

I have seen
Akira
(The most overrated movie I have ever seen, by the way. Pretty - but no story. At leas not that I noticed.)

Ghost in a shell (movie, not series)
Steel Angel Kurumi
Full Metal Alchemist
Princess Mononoke (....I think...)

Can't think of more at the moment, unless Ninjai is considered anime.

Yo!

#20 Moogle

Moogle

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1035 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 02:51 AM

View Posttaikara, on Jul 4 2006, 07:13 PM, said:

Must every anime discussion degrade into this?

Seriously, stop, or I'll close this one, too.

Go ahead.
lawl piggers
In case you haven't noticed Japan has different ideas about whats "right" and "wrong" than the USA, I'd be suprised if some aren't released just because of that, case in point, Battle Royale.

$35,843
And why are you talking about movies, we're talking about series, not movies, lawl.

Pretty much the only person here I'd wish to converse with about this topic would be Tai (no offense Tom / others), and I can just do that in PMs o.0.

Mmmmm, started reading Death Note, that was good. Have to find that -_-

#21 Blood-Pigggy

Blood-Pigggy

No mo' jibba jabba

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1901 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 08:53 AM

Wow Moogle, anybody could search for that on IMDB.
And Battle Royale is in the states, there was an issue a few years ago, the only problem is finding it. You need to check stores that focus on foreign films, otherwise you won't get it, it probably won't matter anyway.

#22 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6304 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 09:35 AM

Would the two members of the Brotherhood of Lawl please stop bickering at each other and get back on topic?:P

"Flippin' immigrants, stealin' our bandwidth etc. etc." - PrejudiceSucks

#23 Blood-Pigggy

Blood-Pigggy

No mo' jibba jabba

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1901 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 09:46 AM

You can't say Lawl, you aren't allowed to.

@Tom: What is Ninjai? I keep hearing it from you, but I've never heard of it.
Give us linkies.

#24 Tom Henrik

Tom Henrik

Funktastic Pimptabulous

• Validating
  • 2784 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 12:04 PM

http://www.ninjai.com :P

Yo!

#25 Blood-Pigggy

Blood-Pigggy

No mo' jibba jabba

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1901 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 01:41 PM

Oh, it's that flash cartoon.

#26 Tom Henrik

Tom Henrik

Funktastic Pimptabulous

• Validating
  • 2784 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 01:51 PM

I'm not sure whether or not the style of the drawings and animations would be considered anime, but if it does then it is one of the best anime series I've ever seen :P

Yo!

#27 Moogle

Moogle

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1035 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 07:16 PM

View PostBlood-Pigggy, on Jul 5 2006, 08:53 AM, said:

Wow Moogle, anybody could search for that on IMDB.
And Battle Royale is in the states, there was an issue a few years ago, the only problem is finding it. You need to check stores that focus on foreign films, otherwise you won't get it, it probably won't matter anyway.
Yeah thats the problem with the internet, anyway I put it you're gonna say I lie.

And no, Battle Royale is available, but it doesn't have an offical distributor.

Status of distribution in North America
Despite rumors to the contrary, the film is not banned within the USA or North America; such a ban would be illegal under the first amendment to the United States Constitution. Rather, there has never been a distribution agreement due to the controversial nature of the film and reportedly unreasonable distribution terms specified by Toei, specifically the price of distribution being somewhere between 1-2 million dollars and that it must be a wide release on the order of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. (This, incidentally is not the first of Toei's controversial moves in regards to its properites and the western market.) These two stipulations put it outside of the range of most smaller movie distributors, and the larger distributors would not handle the film. Therefore, technically the film is not banned, but neither does a local distributor for it exist. It has been exhibited at film festivals in North America. Nonetheless, 'bootleg' copies of the film imported from China and Hong Kong have widespread availability on the continent, and a 'Special Edition DVD' of film was carried to a limited extent by retailers such as HMV in Canada and Tower Records in the United States; the legal status of this edition is not clear. Also, the film's UK distributor, Tartan Films, has released an all-region NTSC DVD version of the film that is available in North America from specialty outlets. One widely available Hong Kong import is a special edition that contains both films, although it lacks English subtitling
And I don't think its ninjai is anime....but not too sure to be honest.
Anybdy seen Eureka 7?

Edi:t forget that, *torrents it*

Ahhhh! Yayness, manga dl site, death note time ^^

#28 Itchytude

Itchytude

N00b-a-R00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 08:40 PM

Anybody played Disgaea on PS2? They made an anime based on that... quite funny if you ask me xD. You can watch some over on youtube if you want to try.

#29 Guest_Aramatheus_*

Guest_Aramatheus_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 October 2006 - 09:24 AM

Hellsing, Gungrave, Grave of the Fireflies, Vampire Hunter D,
Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust, Blood The Last Vampire, Wonderful Days,
Ghost In The Shell 1&2(movies), Berserk, Arion, Akira, Pet Shop Of Horrors, Elfen Lied, Sin, Barefoot Gen...and others which I do not remember, sorry for that since they're all..magnificent.

Especially Elfen Lied touched me, very deep from the inside. Akira was a masterpiece, depicting human madness at its best. The last episode of Berserk was a massive, heartbreaking climax to what have been a heartbreaking series. Arion was unbelievable, although already old, the mixture of anime, japanese storytelling and greek mythology is just unbelievable.

Ghost In The Shell..Ahh, cold shivers run down my spine. Ghost In The Shell is the reason I took an active interest into anime. Ghost In The Shell changed me, and opened the road for other great titles to change me too. Grave of the Fireflies was a nice adventure into the depths of a quite lovely fantasy world in a sort of abstract way.

Gungrave, another touching anime series which made me want to "just look at the next episode to see what happens", resulting in 4-5episode watching sprees (unfortunately I never had the time to watch all in a row, and it's not about watching stuff a lot..it's the quality and force of impact which matters to me). In its own way Gungrave is a very sad series. Hellsing, when the series ended I could not believe it. I was astonished. I've heard of Hellsing+ or whatever you call it but I've not had a chance to view that one yet..

The Vampire D movies were quite good too, and D had a sort of interesting aura around him. D has personality in a way which is hard to describe. Blood: The Last Vampire - I guess Ghost In The Shell was visually more artistic but B:TLV came so close my jaw dropped while watching it. The wild movie-like "camera" style was unbelievable. Pet Shop Of Horrors. A nice little series which really makes you think about human habits and the mental world of us all. How stupid humans are, how much dreams are worth. Sin wasn't that excellent, apparently drawn by German people in attempt to create German anime.

Barefoot Gen. I only saw the first one and not the second movie but Gen made me cry. It seriously did, showing some of the most gruesome flaws of humanity itself; the pain and sorrow we cause to eachother every day. The horrid face of war, the reality of suffering and death. One of the saddest things about Barefoot Gen is that it's all based on a true story. We all know what happened in Hiroshima... we all know what happens in various places of the world every day.

All in all, all the great titles I've seen have changed me as a person. They have given me new views to various things and they have made me think, and that's what makes them so good in my humble opinion. They are more than series or movies. They are sagas with immortal souls. Even the hentai movies and series I have seen have (most of the time) had great plots, telling heartfelt stories, using sex as a method of cruelty and love. Sometimes it is cruel to love.

#30 wood

wood

N00b-a-R00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 02:22 AM

I blame Macross for starting it all.  In truth, I saw it as it was named in the US, Robotech.  The single best hour of TV ever was Robotech followed by Voltron (not the lame-*money-maker* one with the cars).  My god, it was full of stars.....

Then there was Akira.  Tom's totally spot on.  Utterly overrated.  It gave me a headache.  It's giving me one right now.  Local sushi bar in my village shows it and Macross (un-Americanified) in more or less a constant loop.

Ninja Scroll.  Wow.  A Whole Lot Of Blood.  Oh.  And Asians That Jump Too Damn High.  Personally, I'd like to be the demon that could stitch himself back together b/c that'd be so much fun at parties....or anywhere really.

Record of Lodoss War.  The first anime series I saw from bow to stern.  Probably the only one I've ever enjoyed all the way through as well.

Ranma 1/2.  Friends in school introduced me to this one (independently of each other I might add).  I hate, hate, HATED it at the time but over the years have come to accept and, dare I say, enjoy it--in moments of weakness.  I sympathize with Gendo; it's a physical similarity thing--to the panda.  Me and pandas.  We're right there.  Where?  Right there.  Moving on....

Dragonball (and all the various letters trailing it).  Same story as Ranma 1/2.  But no water activated pandas.  Which is really a disadvantage.

Vampire Hunter D.  I want a sentient demon hand that keeps me alive/in line.  As long as it's not the same hand that I'm cutting off at parties.  That'd be like ditching your designated driver.

Neon Genesis Evangelion.  Started out so great.  Pissed me off so much by the end.  Dovetailed into a strange place in my life which just made the whole episode all the weirder.  Normally, I'm into Giant Robot Fighting all the weird character subplots just freaked me out.

Macross/Macross Plus/etc etc.  Giant Robot Fighting just works for me.  And unlike NG:E, no creepy lolita vibe.  Hurray for consenting adults!

Cowboy. Bebop.  FULL STOP.  I love Cowboy Bebop.  I have the music.  I don't own music from anime.  The last episode they showed on Cartoon Network was bitter sweet for me like the last episode of Firefly on DVD.  It was like my best friend moved away or my dog died.  So many good memories but never anything else.

I've gone into a bit of a dry spell.  I should find something else.  Any recommendations given my giant fighting robot issue/obssession?  I'm going to have to get the Voltron Collector DVD thing.  

I just noticed I put this all down more or less in chronological order.  Yay recall!
Kein Mehrheit Für Die Mitleid