#1 taikara

taikara

Tai-Fu Mastah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2389 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 12:37 AM

Hey everybody -

This is just a general notice to let you all know that we have unfortunately had to ban a member today for using the shoutbox to impersonate another member in order to flame, troll, and cause general disruption.

After an extensive session of crosschecking IPs, we also discovered that this member had multiple accounts.

Both of these offenses are taken very seriously. We have deleted the additional accounts, and banned the member for an indefinite period of time.

Banned Member: Wolf_Thug
Deleted Account: Tina

We have decided to temporarily open this topic in case there are any questions or concerns regarding this incident. Please be polite and respectful with regards to your comments. There is no need to make jokes at the banned member's expense, as he has already been punished quite fairly. This topic will be closed prematurely if there is the slightest misuse of its intent.

This topic will be closed in two days time.
..<[[[Tofu Ninja of the Pickasldawessle Order]]]>..
QUOTE (Tai - in response to DD on how people who fear change are like cats)
you mean the "you moved my litterbox, so I'm going to pee in your clothes hamper" attitude?
Yes, I just quoted myself. ph34r my T4i-F00!!.
doodoodoo!!!

#2 Moogle

Moogle

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1035 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 02:24 AM

Wasn't he banned at AB too?

#3 JimmyJ

JimmyJ

Daily Denizen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 02:50 AM

What kind of stuff was he saying in the shoutbox?

#4 taikara

taikara

Tai-Fu Mastah

• Members
  • 2389 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 03:10 AM

@moogle: Yes. Since the incident had happened in the same way at AB previously, eventually leading to the shoutbox's removal, the AB admins cooperated with AR in order to determine which member was creating this issue. All accounts (6 found in total) were simultaneously taken care of on AB and AR.

@JimmyJ: The posts were made to impersonate another member, cursing, flaming, trolling,  and spamming several pages, probably made with the intent to get the impersonated member in trouble (I suppose the impersonator didn't realize we have IP checks available for the shoutbox posts, or that we would have cooperation from the AB admins). Content-wise, they didn't really say much of anything.

I should stress that it is not the content alone, but also the method in which he posted the content (impersonation), in addition to the multiple accounts, that led to our decision to ban.
..<[[[Tofu Ninja of the Pickasldawessle Order]]]>..
QUOTE (Tai - in response to DD on how people who fear change are like cats)
you mean the "you moved my litterbox, so I'm going to pee in your clothes hamper" attitude?
Yes, I just quoted myself. ph34r my T4i-F00!!.
doodoodoo!!!

#5 Eagle of Fire

Eagle of Fire

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 03:55 AM

I think it's a good decision. Especially with the multiple accounts. There is a psychological threshold which get passed when one use multiple accounts to try to make his way around a forum, and this threshold is trust. Without trust, it's really hard to make oneself a name on the internet.
"I am on a hot streak... Literally"

#6 Don Andy

Don Andy

N00b-a-R00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 05:14 AM

Well, I just can say "finally".

That guy was really annoying ^_^
I'm on vacation for 3 weeks from now on (26.06.2006)

#7 Aristharus

Aristharus

Daily Denizen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 05:27 AM

Good call. It sucks that you can write any name there. Of course mods know the IP, so it can't cause any big trouble (at least in theory it can't), but some idiots will try it anyway..

Let's hope he learned his lesson... At least he'll stay away for a while.
What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk?

#8 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 06:40 AM

Yeah, good call indeed. And it would be nice if only logged-in persons could write in SB - without ability to write the name yourself. Of course it's funny to write add-ons after your nick, but is that so funny and so necessary? However I don't have even a slighties clue, is it possible to change, or how difficult it would be, but just my opinion. I still believe that with proper moderation these problems will remain minor (my nick was once misused in SB - it's annoying) and therefore any further actions remain not necessary.
...70 years... LOL

#9 Aristharus

Aristharus

Daily Denizen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 07:53 AM

Yeah, I presumed that it's not possible to do so, thinking that otherwise it would be already done. The Shoutbox is pretty customizable though, isn't it..? I also have no idea how it works, but if it's possible to demand a login before writing in it, it would be a good idea to do so..
What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk?

#10 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6304 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 07:58 AM

I don't believe it's possible with this type of shoutbox, though. Otherwise, AB would have done it long ago, I bet.

"Flippin' immigrants, stealin' our bandwidth etc. etc." - PrejudiceSucks

#11 BeefontheBone

BeefontheBone

Self-titling Egotist

• Members
  • 2953 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 08:10 AM

I was hunting around the SB panel last night (for obvious reasons) and I don't think that's possible. Somebody was programming some kind of replacement over at AB though I believe.
[center]
QUOTE (gregor)
also consider this - the turkey *male genital*ula is called little asia on some geographical maps maps.

I'm your solar-powered princess/Your technological soulmate.

#12 Icewolf

Icewolf

N00b-a-R00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 08:40 AM

I think it's good that AB and AR worked together so well  ^_^
And I also think it's good that they erased a strategic spammer and trouble-maker. Another :P

Don't care how you got him as long as you really got him!  :cry:

Good work!
Are you the guys on the beach who hate everything...? Eww....
Anything good in life is either illegal, immoral or fattening.

#13 Tulac

Tulac

The Great Red Lemur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1546 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 11:27 AM

Finnaly! He did not only spam himself, but also caused other members to reply and flame him...

DakaSha:if you go into a kindergarden and give all the kids rubber schlongs they will prob just hit each other over the head with them
DakaSha:and you have a class of little kids hitting eachother with rubber dongs which must be quite funny (also Picklweasel knight I am)

#14 Blood-Pigggy

Blood-Pigggy

No mo' jibba jabba

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1901 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 01:57 PM

He was really bad at impersonating too.
^_^

Knight of the PICKLEWAESEL order!!1!21
Best Topics Ever: Aywanez Splenda Women PICKLEWESSEL Signs OMG

#15 ReamusLQ

ReamusLQ

N00b-a-R00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 02:34 PM

someone answer me this...if he tried doing impersonations and crap in the shout box over at AB and got banned for it, what little thought went through his mind that he would be able to get away with it on AR? ^_^