15 replies to this topic

#1 Sinke

Sinke

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 11:43 AM

I'm thinking about buying a new graphic card.

Here is what I came to, what do you think is the best buy?

VGA AGP SAPPHIRE ATI Radeon X1600 Pro FR , 256 MB, tv-out, DVI

VGA PCI-E CLUB 3D ATI Radeon X1600 XT, 256 MB, VIVO, Dual DVI

VGA PCI-E SAPPHIRE ATI Radeon X1600 XT FR, 256 MB, tv-out, DVI

VGA PCI-E SAPPHIRE ATI Radeon X1600 XT LR, 256 MB, tv-out, DVI

VGA AGP GAINWARD, Ultra/1960 "GS" XP, GeForce 6600 GT , 128 MB, VIVO, Dual DVI

VGA PCI-E GAINWARD, Ultra/1960 PCX "GS" XP, GeForce 6600 GT , 128 MB, VIVO, Dual DVI

VGA PCI-E GAINWARD, Ultra/1980 PCX TV/DVI, GeForce 6600 GT , 256 MB, tv-out, DVI

VGA PCI-E LEADTEK, WinFast PX7600 GT TDH, Geforce 7600 GT, 256 MB, tv-out, Dual DVI

VGA PCI-E, GeForce 6600 GT, 128 MB, tv-out, DVI
One can always get mocked for being polite.

#2 Blood-Pigggy

Blood-Pigggy

No mo' jibba jabba

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1901 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 02:18 PM

First thing you should do is cut out all of the Geforce NVIDIA cards, they have less functionality and features than the Radeons, they also can't handle as many special graphical features (Geforce isn't as good as anti-aliasing as Radeon for example)

Then ask yourself if you really need TV out, as that usually costs extra cash. The rest is really only personal preference and how much you're willing to spend.

Knight of the PICKLEWAESEL order!!1!21
Best Topics Ever: Aywanez Splenda Women PICKLEWESSEL Signs OMG

#3 Sinke

Sinke

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 02:21 PM

All of these cards are more-or-less same in pricing. Approx. 150 Euros. I owned two Gforce cards in the past and was more pleased than with my current Radeon HIS 9550. However, I took your comments serious.  :D

#4 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6270 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 03:55 PM

Personally I prefer Radeon Cards, especially the 256 models, which are pretty good all around from what I've read around, the tv out like was mentioned is really unnecessary unless you plan to hook up one of your tv's with the tv out and just is extra cash thrown away.

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

#5 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4277 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 04:28 PM

Well, can't say that I'm big fan of Radeon, but recently I've been began to prefer it over GeForce... Anyways, it's always hard to say, as I don't know what you need. And usually I don't recommend anything specific, even though I know what one needs.
...70 years... LOL

#6 Sinke

Sinke

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 10:29 PM

I just want to play games till I puke.

#7 Tom Henrik

Tom Henrik

Funktastic Pimptabulous

• Validating
  • 2784 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 10:32 PM

Then you don't need a new video card, you simply need to get a hentai game. The content of those games are, literally, sickening! :D

You'll be puking in no time. LOL

Yo!

#8 taikara

taikara

Tai-Fu Mastah

• Members
  • 2389 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 10:45 PM

I think I personally would have gone for an old-school FPS or a realistic space sim if I wanted to puke.

Motion-sickness, and there's no reason to even mention hentai if it can be helped...

Honestly, I'd go for a Radeon (GeForce used to be leaps ahead, but that's not the case anymore - as quite a few of Radeon's recent chipsets have been shown to outperform their equivalent GeForce cards, and tend to cost less, as well), but make sure to check up on the different manufacturer to make sure you're getting something you can use (even for the same cards, they have serious differences - most importantly, in the cooling systems and physical space requirements).

For example, Sapphire (which you have listed) manufactures the most cheap cards available, but you have a higher chance of melting out a card because their cooling system is crap (and I do mean crap). HIS has one of the best cooling systems for the same chipset, but requires a lot of case real-estate, which you may not have available.
..<[[[Tofu Ninja of the Pickasldawessle Order]]]>..
QUOTE (Tai - in response to DD on how people who fear change are like cats)
you mean the "you moved my litterbox, so I'm going to pee in your clothes hamper" attitude?
Yes, I just quoted myself. ph34r my T4i-F00!!.
doodoodoo!!!

#9 Sinke

Sinke

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 10:54 PM

Do I need a separate cooling system for a hentai game?  :D
Thank you all.

The other day my friend said local flea market is a goldmine for computer stuff. Gipsies are yelling "Radeon! Radeon!" I guess.

#10 DeathMan001

DeathMan001

N00b-a-R00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 02:05 AM

Radeon are cheaper me thinks

#11 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 02:48 AM

I believe they are better in cost/quality comparison. GeForce used to be far better, as Tai said, but now it's Radeon's turn. Who knows what next tide will bring us? GeForce again?
...70 years... LOL

#12 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6270 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 02:53 AM

Ya Nvidia used to do well but it seems ATI has caught up and taken the lead, we shall see what happens though it can change pretty quickly the competition.

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

#13 BeefontheBone

BeefontheBone

Self-titling Egotist

• Members
  • 2953 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 10:18 AM

Tai's entirely right about Sapphire, the cooling is awful - my Sapphire X800XT burnt out not so long ago. I got a new NVIDIA for my new PC, mainly because I'll want to use 2 cards eventually and SLI is apparently much better than Crossfire.
[center]
QUOTE (gregor)
also consider this - the turkey *male genital*ula is called little asia on some geographical maps maps.

I'm your solar-powered princess/Your technological soulmate.

#14 E-Magination

E-Magination

Forum Peon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 01:15 PM

Meh. Nvidia for me. I like their marketing and more advanced drivers.

#15 MdaG

MdaG

AR-coholic

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 10:29 PM

View PostE-Magination, on Jul 30 2006, 03:15 PM, said:

Meh. Nvidia for me. I like their marketing and more advanced drivers.
Me too