Best Topics Ever: Aywanez Splenda Women PICKLEWESSEL Signs OMG

#107 ManoFWar

ManoFWar

N00b-a-R00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 07:41 PM

hi guys can somebody tell me if the Nvidia Gefore 7600 is enough to run the game without problem
thx

#108 Docktor_Worm

Docktor_Worm

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 09:03 PM

I have a geforce 5200, and i can run it in oblivion fairly well, so i bet you could easily. By the way, you might want to try posting in the Oblivion troubleshooting thread.
IPB Image
...her rabid glow is like braille to the night

#109 Blood-Pigggy

Blood-Pigggy

No mo' jibba jabba

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1901 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 04:02 AM

Haha, something really weird happened to me today.

You know the first Thieve's Guild fencer right? Ongar the World Weary or something. Okay, so the inn he's always in, in Bruma you know that of course. Well he was in there, sitting on his chair, the inn keeper was standing in the room right across from him, and there were about two people talking to eachother in the corner of the room.

Ongar gets up, goes into sneaking position, sneaks over to the table RIGHT IN FRONT OF EVERYONE, and steals a piece of bread and eats it on the spot, haha. Now everyone of course saw him and scream out things like "STOP THIEF!" or "YOU DIRTY THIEF, PUT THAT BACK!" while they stand around with bizarrely happy faces. Ongar goes back to his table and sits there for awhile.

So I go in the back rooms for ten minutes or so, just stealing things behind everyone's back to go sell to a fencer, when all of a sudden I turn around, and see about three guards in the building.
At this time, I had a bounty on me, so I went "Holy crap!" and tried to sneak into one of the rooms, but instead they start running after Ongar and he screams "HELP!" they push him into a corner as he tries to run away and knock him unconcious (since he's a quest character) after a few seconds, he gets back up and sits down in the chair he always sits in and continues to eat, l0l.

Knight of the PICKLEWAESEL order!!1!21

#110 Sean

Sean

Just call me Mr. Magic!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1265 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 08:00 AM

That'd be Radiant AI :)
Me>You

#111 BeefontheBone

BeefontheBone

Self-titling Egotist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2953 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 07:27 PM

Just thought I'd bump this to say how much I enjoyed "A Brush With Death" (although it was far too short!) and that I had a simliar experience to BP's - Martin was following me along the road to or from wherever it is he hangs out when we encountered a guard on patrol who decided I was a criminal (not sure how he worked that out, but still). I decided to resist arrest since he was out in the middle of nowhere, and we had a bit of a scrap, which Martin watched without getting involved (presumably thinking we were both his allies). When I killed the guardsman, he started attacking me, and I had to knock him out. When he came to, he seemed to forge tthe whole thing (and ignore the nearby corpse) and we went on our merry way.

It's always fun to wander in as a Mythic Dawn agent randomly decides to commit suicide-by-guard too. My only real gripe is that nobody does anything with corpses apart from glance at them as they walk past, and people show no gratitude whatsoever if you save them from hordes of goblins or the like.
[center]
QUOTE (gregor)
also consider this - the turkey *male genital*ula is called little asia on some geographical maps maps.

I'm your solar-powered princess/Your technological soulmate.

#112 Blood-Pigggy

Blood-Pigggy

No mo' jibba jabba

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1901 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 08:13 PM

Martin does things like that all the time (in fact, in one of my play throughs, he started attacking the guards of Kvatch for no apparent reason whatsoever, the Imperial Guard were all knocking him down over and over).

#113 Docktor_Worm

Docktor_Worm

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 03:42 AM

The weirdest thing EVER happened. in the middle of the battle of Bruma, I looked over at the ground, and one of the militia is sprawled across the ground, his limbs stretched  out like 20 times longer than they should be. He was unmovable at that point, but when I got back from the gate, his mass of limbs was hovering the air and flailing around, knocking corpses everywhere. Then, all of a sudden, the corpse flew waaaaaay up into the air and when it came down he had normal preportions. I told you it was weird.
IPB Image
...her rabid glow is like braille to the night

#114 Blood-Pigggy

Blood-Pigggy

No mo' jibba jabba

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1901 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 05:49 PM

I saw that happening in a shrinking mod I had, it added a spell you could buy that would shrink enemies (or anyone else) and make them weaker for a period of time.

Only problem was that it would glitch, and their arms would become all stretchy and their body twitchy. Nothing as extreme as that though, although I think things like that tend to happen when someone is clipping through the ground.

#115 MdaG

MdaG

AR-coholic

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 11:17 AM

Lovely game! (70h into the game). This one was well worth the €50 I paid for it. Even though it certainly has its flaws it's the best action RPG I've played since Divine Divinity. There are some things I'm wondering why they made certain design decision though.
  • What's the thing with glass armour and weapons? Since when is glass a good material for making maces, axes etc. ?
  • The scaled enemy levels removes the sense of achievement.
  • The leveling system forces me to put frequently used skills as minor skills so as not to level too quickly, which feels wrong.
  • I'm currently at level 16 and having every character in the country packing dwarven, mithril etc. gear is just ridiculous. Such items are suppose to be rare.
  • Leveled loot and increasing prices as the character gains levels causes the same sensation as scaled leveled enemies.
  • I'm Guild master in the mages and the fighters guild without actually being a good (enough) mage or fighter which feels unintuitive.
  • The story line doesn't give a lot of options supporting other character types than the "hero". This is one thing KOTOR and Fallout did better.
  • Certain skills and spells feel useless, but that could just be me not realizing how good they really are. (ex. picking locks is superior to the unlock spells since you can just get good at pushing tumblers and not use the skill check)
Being a professional developer myself (not in gaming though) I can recognize the work involved in such a game as Oblivion. WOW! The only other Elder Scroll game I've played is Daggerfall and this is a vast improvement over it.

The scaled enemies, loot, etc. is probably what annoys me the most about Oblivion, I'd rather have seen a solution where loot and enemies are dependant on location (like Fallout and KOTOR) and that playing an evil character is as rewarding as playing a good character (also like KOTOR and Fallout). Still Oblivion is vastly more complex and there are sure to be design issues which made it hard to implement. For those of you that played through Morrowind, how did that compare to Oblivion ?

#116 Doubler

Doubler

A regular Llama

• Admin
  • 2740 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 11:59 AM

What's the thing with glass armour and weapons? Since when is glass a good material for making maces, axes etc. ?
It's not glass :D
And ebony's not wood :)
They're both a vulcanic crystaline substance that can actually be molded by a smith. Which is a bit weird, but not as weird (although certainly not non-sensical, just different) as the rest of Morrowind, where the lore comes from.

As to your other points, yeah, most people agree. I certainly do. They are some of the main reasons what makes Morrowind a much better game then Oblvion :P
The other ones being the fact that Oblivion is very, very shallow, especially considering TES lore, and that it actually defies the lore in extreme points many times. It's a huge loss, really, and one that is difficult to repair in an elegant manner (And actually defies some of the principles of the latter, deeper series, or so you can interpret MK).

The design decission for the level scaling was the complaint that Morrowind became too easy, too quickly. Which is true, if you powerplay. We got something worse in return, though. For the rest, I blame mainstreaming (like the flashy spoken dialogue severely limiting the actual dialogue :D); they wanted to make the series more appealing to a larger audiance.

Oblivion isn't a bad game at all, and I still enjoy it a lot. But at times it makes me sad.

Edit: Ok, this post isn't worth much without listing some of the improvements in Oblivion: The graphics are much, much better. The NPC staticness has largely been fixed (which is really one of the biggest issues in Morrowind), no cookie-cutter NPC's (well, not as many as in Morrowind, that is). More dynamic world in some cases. Much, much better quests (although with horrible storylines).

Wonderfull sig and avvie by Taikara :D

#117 BeefontheBone

BeefontheBone

Self-titling Egotist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2953 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 12:47 PM

Regarding lockpicking, one of the Dremora statues' quests will give you the unbreakable lockpick artifact, making it even more redundant, although I favoured the unlocking spells when I played, just because I couldn't be bothered with the minigame thingy.
[center]
QUOTE (gregor)
also consider this - the turkey *male genital*ula is called little asia on some geographical maps maps.

I'm your solar-powered princess/Your technological soulmate.

#118 Doubler

Doubler

A regular Llama

• Admin
  • 2740 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 12:56 PM

That's a Daedric Statue :)
Dremora are Mehrunes Dagon's highest tier servants :D

But yeah, lockpicking is completely redundant. The way the skeleton key was implemented made it even worse (especially considering how easy the quest was. Maybe if you actually needed high lockpicking skill to get through it, it might have been reasonable, but this way?).
Speechcraft is another example.

#119 MdaG

MdaG

AR-coholic

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 01:16 PM

View PostDoubler, on Jan 14 2007, 12:59 PM, said:

It's not glass :D
And ebony's not wood :)
They're both a vulcanic crystaline substance that can actually be molded by a smith. Which is a bit weird, but not as weird (although certainly not non-sensical, just different) as the rest of Morrowind, where the lore comes from.
Ahh, ok.

As to your other points, yeah, most people agree. I certainly do. They are some of the main reasons what makes Morrowind a much better game then Oblvion :P
The other ones being the fact that Oblivion is very, very shallow, especially considering TES lore, and that it actually defies the lore in extreme points many times. It's a huge loss, really, and one that is difficult to repair in an elegant manner (And actually defies some of the principles of the latter, deeper series, or so you can interpret MK).
The thing that makes it the most shallow to me is that most quests revolve around killing something which wasn't what I'd expected from the game. I thought it would encourage other ways to solve quests depending on which kind of character one plays.

The design decission for the level scaling was the complaint that Morrowind became too easy, too quickly. Which is true, if you powerplay. We got something worse in return, though. For the rest, I blame mainstreaming (like the flashy spoken dialogue severely limiting the actual dialogue :D); they wanted to make the series more appealing to a larger audiance.
I know that Oblivion is far bigger than Fallout, but I recall Fallout as HUGE, but still pulling off the difficulty by using locations with varying difficulty.

Oblivion isn't a bad game at all, and I still enjoy it a lot. But at times it makes me sad.
Me too, it's disappointing compared to all the promises made when it was marketed, but all in all I'm enjoying myself when I play it and that's what's important.

#120 Doubler

Doubler

A regular Llama

• Admin
  • 2740 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 01:44 PM

I know that Oblivion is far bigger than Fallout, but I recall Fallout as HUGE, but still pulling off the difficulty by using locations with varying difficulty.
That's how Morrowind did it :D
It's just that Morrowind seemed to expect people to cap in the twenties. Which nobody did - The expansions are for much higher level characters, though, and fix many of the level balancing issues.

Well, I'll say this, I get a feeling that you'd like Morrowind. However, there are some if's:

If you can get past the outdated graphics.
If you can get past the rpg system (with to-hit dice rolls).
If you don't mind a slightly less living (but much more interesting) world then Oblivion.
If you don't mind a difficult start.
If you don't mind getting lost at times (or long searching) and not being able to fast travel from anywhere to anywhere (I can't imagine it being a problem in MW, though).
If you don't mind reading a lot (Morrowind is as much a book as it is a game if you want to play it to it's fullest extent - and many of those texts aren't easy. Look up The Thirty-Six Lessons of Vivec on TIL if you want some nice samples :) ).
If you don't mind the quests to have a more FedEx character. That said, in many ways the quest variety is a lot better then it is in Oblivion, killing isn't as prevalent, and more often simply an option.
If you don't mind a world that's nothing like the clichéd fantasy world as it is in Oblivion.

Reply to this topic