36 replies to this topic

#1 MrBackAlleySka

MrBackAlleySka

Daily Denizen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 10:09 PM

Hey guys, I'm at a gamer's block. I want an RPG to play, but I cannot seem to find one I haven't played. Im TOO picky about RPGs!!  :(

There are many things that I look for in an RPG. I love self-made custom characters. Baldur's Gate and fallout type creation. That's a must. I also enjoy open ended exploration of huge worlds and non-linear gameplay, such as Morrowind and Gothic. I like games that don't force me to follow the storyline, and I can run off and "explore those neat looking caves" if I so feel inclined.

Basicly I enjoy games that...pretty much..play like a singleplayer MMORPG.

Now those things are pretty easy to select games for, but What i'm looking for is a game I HAVEN'T yet played!!  :kosta:  The games I have played are: ES: Arena, ES: Daggerfall, Baldur's Gate 1 and 2, Icewind Dale, Fallout 1, Fallout 2, Arcanum, Gothic, Dungeon Siege, Diablo, Diablo 2, Might and Magic 6-9, Wizardry 7 & 8, All non-ESA protected games on Abandonia, and all the roguelikes on here.

Heh, even STILL, there are loads of games that someone can think up that fits the pickyness of my anal retentive self, right? Well, I also have a sucky computer.

Pentium 4 (:))
60 gig harddrive (:P)
Radeon 9000 graphics card (:apple:)
Mad Dog II audio card (:pimp:)
128 MB RAM....( :ok: )

So it has to fit that too heh. I'm asking you guys for assistance, not demanding answers. :band: So if you don't wanna help, or think I'm just too dang picky, I don't mind.

#2 Blood-Pigggy

Blood-Pigggy

No mo' jibba jabba

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1901 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 10:15 PM

Whoa.
That's a pretty hard request.
Most freeware games are either some crappy anime thing, or a lame MMORPG.

Try some stuff on Reloaded. Have you tried FreeDroid RPG? It's alot like Diablo, but with a penguin. Dink Smallwood is pretty fun, and it has lots of free exploration, but it's a bit lax on the character development side. Heroquest is probably my favorite on this site, but that's definitely for a certain kind of taste.

If you're not picky about buying something, how about Arx Fatalis? Might not work on your PC, but mine is pretty crappy too, and it runs fine. Deus Ex is a must try, while it isn't as free-form exploration, it has very fine tuned character development. Freedom Force is kind of like an RPG with multiple characters, and Neverwinter Nights is worth a try.

Knight of the PICKLEWAESEL order!!1!21
Best Topics Ever: Aywanez Splenda Women PICKLEWESSEL Signs OMG

#3 Sinke

Sinke

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 10:46 PM

How about MMORPG called "Maplestory"? It is a big download, but it was really nice experience for me.
One can always get mocked for being polite.

#4 Tarael

Tarael

N00b-a-R00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 11:08 PM

Wow I have a simular taste for games like you. But not quite the same, I liked games like "morrowind" where the character could be customised. My taste is just little bit diffrent from yours in the matter that I don't care if it follows a storyline or not (But it is a must to have a character creation or at least pleanty of characters to chose from). I have been looking around and one of better games I found was Mount & Blade (homesite: http://www.taleworlds.com It is on beta stage (or was last time I checked it was on beta stage) and you can download it and play to level 6 (Until your character levels up to six not the game is set to levels). Don't know if you can play it but I thinks so. My computer that I used to play it had:

Intel Celeron 1.5 or 1.6 (Don't know)
60 gb harddrive
64 MB Intel something card
Some cheap sound card
512 MB ram

But the game was sometimes little laggi if something much was happening.

If you by the game now you will be helping the gamecreators out and when the full games come out you won't need to pay extra :ok: And can play beyonde level six.

(Like this you pay now 9.99 and play the game and when the full game comes out you just update and don't need to pay the full price of 21.99)

*These prices are just a guess.

#5 Blood-Pigggy

Blood-Pigggy

No mo' jibba jabba

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1901 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 11:53 PM

I think he was asking for something LIKE a MMORPG that plays like that but it is singeplayer.

Tarael, I wanted to see that Mount & Blade thing but the link doesn't work. :ok:

#6 MrBackAlleySka

MrBackAlleySka

Daily Denizen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 12:20 AM

I don't mind stuff to buy at all. Actually i'd prefer bought stuff, or shareware stuff, cause it's hard to expect that much from a freeware thing heh. Arx Fatalis is exceptional, but my computer can barely run it. It's not laggy, but area loading screens take forever and a day XD

As for Mount & Blade, it looks excellent, but it definately won't run on my low low RAM.

Deus Ex I had for the PS2 and loved it :ok:, but Neverwinter Nights never would work for me. I have Windows2k, and NWN said it required Service Pack 2, but upon installing it, my computer couldn't recognise my harddrive!

Also, it dosen't HAVE to be just like an offline MMORPG, just similiar to, with huge world to explore, lots of sidequests, and character development.

Maplestory was...ok, was sick of it really. SLOW as heck leveling, and rather boring and repetitive.

#7 Blood-Pigggy

Blood-Pigggy

No mo' jibba jabba

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1901 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 12:29 AM

Here's a few.

Planescape: Torment in my opinion is the best RPG of all time.
Divine Divinity, Darkstone,  and Nox are all great Diablo knock-offs.
Fate is REALLY damn good if you can find it.
Temple of Elemental Evil is another D&D game, but it's really buggy.
And if you can find it, the Ultima Collection will last for a year.
Anachronox is also great, but like Temple of Elemental Evil, really buggy.
Sacred is really fun (I love it) but I don't think it will run well on your PC.

#8 MrBackAlleySka

MrBackAlleySka

Daily Denizen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 12:37 AM

Heh, yet another list to shoot down ;_;

Planescape: Got it, beat it. LOVED IT TO DEATH.
Diablo, Nox, played em.
Fate gives me a memory leak. lags after 40 minutes.
Ultima I got from my dad, loved em :ok: (except for 9 and 8.)
Anachronox isn't compatable with Windows 2000 from what I seen. Never worked for me.
Sacred I have, but it won't run ;_;

Now, Divine Divinity, and Temple of Elemental Evil seem pretty good :( Bet they are both "hard to find gems" though eh?

#9 Blood-Pigggy

Blood-Pigggy

No mo' jibba jabba

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1901 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 12:39 AM

Divine Divinity is usually easy to find in Jewel case for ten bucks, but TOEE is really tough to find, I was just really lucky.

#10 Flop

Flop

Aspiring Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1318 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 06:39 AM

You didn't mention Gothic 2, but I guess you've played that as well. I believe they recently released the add-on, Night of the Raven in English, though, which supposedly adds a LOT to the game. I haven't tried it yet, though.
Furthermore, it is my opinion that Carthage must be destroyed.

#11 taikara

taikara

Tai-Fu Mastah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2389 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 06:40 AM

Oh man... except for the RAM, you should try Oblivion (and then you could join in our Oblivion thread).

But, upgrading RAM is easy, you know :ok:
..<[[[Tofu Ninja of the Pickasldawessle Order]]]>..
QUOTE (Tai - in response to DD on how people who fear change are like cats)
you mean the "you moved my litterbox, so I'm going to pee in your clothes hamper" attitude?
Yes, I just quoted myself. ph34r my T4i-F00!!.
doodoodoo!!!

#12 Flop

Flop

Aspiring Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1318 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 06:53 AM

I'm not sure the graphics card is supported either. Mine wasn't. :ok:
Furthermore, it is my opinion that Carthage must be destroyed.

#13 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6304 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 07:16 AM

ADOM would actually fit your description as well - except for the graphics bit.:ok:

"Flippin' immigrants, stealin' our bandwidth etc. etc." - PrejudiceSucks

#14 Tarael

Tarael

N00b-a-R00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 08:08 AM

I have fixed the link to mount and blade.

#15 MrBackAlleySka

MrBackAlleySka

Daily Denizen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 11:18 AM

A. J. Raffles, on Apr 27 2006, 02:16 AM, said:

ADOM would actually fit your description as well - except for the graphics bit.^_^
Alright you hehe, I said I played every rougelike on this site, that includes ADoM :P

Also, Gothic 2 I don't think would run on my computer. it's requirements are Pentium III 700 MHz, 256 MB RAM, Windows 98/2000/XP, DirectX 8.1b, 32 MB DirectX-compatible video card MINIMUM, and I fall below its ram requirements.

Guess Tai's right hehe, guess I just need to get more ram eh? Well, until then it seems Divine Divinity and Temple of Elemental Evil sofar, anyone got anymore? ^^

Reply to this topic