215 replies to this topic

#61 Stroggy

Stroggy

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 06:48 PM

Well that is where the problem lies. I think German developers (like the people who made Panzer Elite) are willing to make such games that break with tradition and give a broader perspective of the war. But, as you know, Germany is quite strict when it comes to portrayal of nazi (or nazi-related) symbols. I am against this sort of approach to history myself, but such is the case - and it's giving German developers quite a few problems.

#62 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4277 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 06:51 PM

Well, that's very true, admitted. But there're bunch of non-German game houses, that don't have such limitations...
...70 years... LOL

#63 Stroggy

Stroggy

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 07:14 PM

Well there are french game houses, though I don't think I want to see the french version of, for example, WW2.
"And zen our beloved Charles crushed ze entire german army. Mounted on hiz horze he rode into ze reichstag and planted ze flag of our beloved France on top of it! And zen we all broke out in zong:
"Allons enfants de la Patrie, Le jour de gloire est arrivé !"

#64 Sinke

Sinke

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 07:36 PM

Don't forget that one of the classics- Panzer general- was a game where you were in charge of German nazis all the time. Nazism was, ofcourse, taken out- leaving the game as historically-based strategy.

As for AA, it is quite different from some other games. This game, on it's site, is promoting army recruiting. At present time, the military of USA is commiting war atrocities and criminalities all over Iraq, both on practical and on diplomatical levels. While we were freeing ourselves from communism in Eastern Europe, USA was a symbol of justice and equality for us. I still can't understand how this happened to the leading country in the world.

In other words, I simply find this game dangerous in sociological terms for children and young adults. It adds to the massive mind control of Western world and as such I find it grouce.

USA can tommorow attack Croatia for the same reasons they attacked Iraq
( supposed "mass destruction tactical weapons" ) as well as all other countries in the world. This game is educating soldiers for that war. Is it hyperbole? Well, the whole Iraq war is hyperbole.
One can always get mocked for being polite.

#65 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6270 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 07:41 PM

Your reading way too far into the game imo there is way worse games out there than AA (Soldier of Fortune, Postal,) than this game. Just treat it as a game really, otherwise then there are other examples of reading too much in to a game as I mentioned GTA or let's go farther back Mortal Kombat and all the controversy over that game.

Massive mind control? That's a little much I think, somehow I don't think this game will do it with young adults or even children, it isn't going into actual combat situations that have happened, just scenarios the army could face.

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

#66 Blood-Pigggy

Blood-Pigggy

No mo' jibba jabba

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1901 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 07:53 PM

Yeah really, all America's Army is saying is "Enjoy this game, and let it show you what you might meet in the Army! If you want, join!" Instead you're ignoring games where you can realisticly blow off people's arms and blow up their testicles. Or maybe you've forgotten God of War, where you see breasts and people torn in half mercilessly from the main character.

Since when is this little message from America's Army a bigger deal than excessive violence? If you're going to ignore things like that just because one game asks you to CONSIDER joining the army, not forcing you, or consistently badgering you about it.

Knight of the PICKLEWAESEL order!!1!21
Best Topics Ever: Aywanez Splenda Women PICKLEWESSEL Signs OMG

#67 Sinke

Sinke

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 07:53 PM

I simply think that using computer games as political tool is bad. Would you play a game where you were a member of  Iraq National Guard fighting against US soldiers? Killing tens of them, bombing them and their American-flag covered uniforms or, as it was present in Delta Force- listen to their screams as they call for doctor?  I guess it would draw some questions in US, but when you make a game like this it is great freeware

#68 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6270 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 08:01 PM

But it's not a political tool, your not fighting Iraqis, Afghans, Palestians or anything close, just random terrorists and other threats, like has been said before possible scenarios that may happen. (Simliar to what police officers use when they do simulations of possible crimes that could happen) That's the extent of it, that's it there is no hidden agenda with the game.

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

#69 Blood-Pigggy

Blood-Pigggy

No mo' jibba jabba

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1901 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 08:01 PM

Uh, have you ever played Battlefield 1942? You can play as a German, you can shoot Americans.
Oh, and in games like San Andreas, you kill thousands of Americans, and the game constantly makes fun of the stupidity of the larger part of the population. All you ever see in America's Army are two different colored uniforms, and a few voices. It's so vague compared to Call of Duty on the consoles, where you get to play as a German anyway.

#70 Tulac

Tulac

The Great Red Lemur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1546 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 08:07 PM

Nah in CoD you don't play as a German, except in multiplayer if that's what you're aiming on...

DakaSha:if you go into a kindergarden and give all the kids rubber schlongs they will prob just hit each other over the head with them
DakaSha:and you have a class of little kids hitting eachother with rubber dongs which must be quite funny (also Picklweasel knight I am)

#71 Blood-Pigggy

Blood-Pigggy

No mo' jibba jabba

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1901 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 08:13 PM

Yes it is.

#72 Tom Henrik

Tom Henrik

Funktastic Pimptabulous

• Validating
  • 2784 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 08:16 PM

View PostSinke, on Jun 23 2006, 07:53 PM, said:

I simply think that using computer games as political tool is bad.

If you read that much into the political aspect of games, then you can claim that Civilization has to be just as bad as AA - as it shows that Communism doesn't work on a grand scale. Thus (as the game is American made) it shows the American way of life be far more superior than the Russian way of life.

Cold War, anyone?

And let's not forget Sierra's EcoQuest series, where you play as the son of a GreenPeace activist, and need to play the game from an environmental point of view. That's a huge political message right there, and that's a series.

Hidden Agenda?
It's basically a game about politics - thus a hugely effective political tool.

And let's not forget the game Buzz Aldrin's Race into Space. That's political propaganda to the extreme. Still a great game.

In fact, if you look closely at most games in the Strategy and Simulation genre, you'll find a lot of games that promote political ideas.

It is you, as a player, that decide how much you want to read into it.

Yo!

#73 Sinke

Sinke

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 08:16 PM

The game encourages people recruiting for army of USA. Dot. No hidden agenda. Is that right? You don't need a hidden agenda! It serves it's use quite well. Download it from their main site, and while you are there you can have a great ammount of brainwashing such as the claim that USA is under attack by terrorists who want to destroy their way of living and because of that etc etc.

Is there a game where you can kill present-day American troops? I doubt it is legal, if it exists.

#74 Blood-Pigggy

Blood-Pigggy

No mo' jibba jabba

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1901 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 08:19 PM

Yes there is, It's called Battlefield 2, and Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfare. You can also go play Rainbow Six: Lockdown, or any of the Rainbow Six games online, there's Black also, you kill alot of Americans in that, and even The Hulk: Ultimate Destruction, where you destroy the US Military! Yay!

And how is it brainwashing? They aren't brainwashing anybody, in fact, I bet most people who play AA just ignore all the America stuff and just shoot things.

#75 Tom Henrik

Tom Henrik

Funktastic Pimptabulous

• Validating
  • 2784 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 08:19 PM

Uhm... Hidden Agenda is a game.

Yo!