26 replies to this topic

#1 Moogle

Moogle

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1035 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 04:19 AM

Been excited / looking forward to this game since I first heard about it, and it comes out soon!

Anyways PCG UK gave it a 95% which is pretty nifty, nice to know it didn't totally bomb and actually achieved all its hype / expectations.

So come August 21st (release date for it here anyways) I'l be getting it xD, anybody else?

#2 Potatoe

Potatoe

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1487 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 10:23 AM

Maybe, my PC meets the recommended system reqs(I paide like 800e for this so yeah, no surprise). But the age rating is the only thing that is keeping me from buying this. :(

It's released the 24. here.

#3 Dimsey

Dimsey

N00b-a-R00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 10:48 AM

My computer stinks but I will be picking it up for the 360 when it comes out. I know it's got great reviews and the folks that have tried the 360's demo tells me it's good, but I'm not going to spoil it for myself, just gonna wait til it's released. Should be great.
Currently playing
Mercs 2 (360), Spore (PC)

#4 Doubler

Doubler

A regular Llama

• Admin
  • 2740 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 02:07 PM

I've heard a lot about it, but reading up on the game I was wondering what exactly sets it apart from other normal FPS's.

Some of the features remind me very strongly of Deus Ex ("things never before possible in the genre"? :P ), but without the actual possibilities and choices that game offered, I don't see what the hype's all about.

Wonderfull sig and avvie by Taikara :D

#5 Blood-Pigggy

Blood-Pigggy

No mo' jibba jabba

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1901 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 05:22 PM

Screw Bioshock, really, SCREW Bioshock, calling itself "Spiritual Succesor" to System Shock when it has nothing in common, no RPG elements, this game can bite it, it's such a hype bomb, it's nothing more than another Oblivion in my opinion.

Knight of the PICKLEWAESEL order!!1!21
Best Topics Ever: Aywanez Splenda Women PICKLEWESSEL Signs OMG

#6 Moogle

Moogle

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1035 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 08:21 PM

*shrug
I dunno about the "spiritual successor" part, I never played System Shock anyways so I could care less whether it is or not. I'm mainly interested in the setting / storyline (mainly setting) as I find it kinda cool for some odd reason, and the whole plasmids deal sounds cool and all but I'm still mainly in there for the setting.

Yea I just need to upgrade my RAM and then I should be fine, but I'm doing that soon xD

#7 Blood-Pigggy

Blood-Pigggy

No mo' jibba jabba

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1901 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 09:32 PM

The setting is nice, it really is, I agree %100, but from what I've played on the X-Box Live demo everything that was supposedly so "amazing" and "revolutionary" about it was all exaggerated and overblown. The interaction with the environment is little more than a interesting gimmick. It does help, but it's the same as killing Trolls in a D&D game, you can use ordinary weapons and then finish it off with a acid spell, or you could use every damn fire and acid spell in your repertoire it kill it a lot faster.

It makes sense and it works, but it's so simple, it just like "Oh, well at least now you don't have to shoot them all the time, now you just have to watch them do the same exact thing every time you set them on fire, as they run into water, which you electrocute" I enjoy the variety, but it's not really interaction with the environment as it is giving another the game another facet that will easily become tedious later on.

The plasmids are just special abilities really. The somewhat free roaming style aspect is cool, but I just felt a bit estranged. What I'm looking for in a shooter with no deeper elements to make it more advanced or involving (Deus Ex with its RPG elements for example) then I need the game to be a gripping totally invigorating immersive experience like Half-Life 2, and Bioshock didn't cut it in that regard from what I've played, it's more like isolated battles of chaos that end too soon or last much too long (fighting a Big Daddy is like waiting for it just to end after awhile).

Some games can get by with that system, all the Ghost Recon or Rainbow Six games, but they're entirely different, battles can be blazingly fast, or long drawn out tense experiences. That's exactly what they are though, tense.

Bioshock's enemies just seem like simple morons who will only do something really intelligent if a script calls for it, or they're required to do a basic action such as douse a fire that you lighted on them.

That's why I compared it to Oblivion, it's almost like Radiant AI, it's there, but it's way less than what it was advertised to be, the final product is underwhelming, this game caused too much hype for its own good.

Knight of the PICKLEWAESEL order!!1!21
Best Topics Ever: Aywanez Splenda Women PICKLEWESSEL Signs OMG

#8 Moogle

Moogle

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1035 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 01:14 AM

Mmmm yea, well, I don't realyl expect it to be "ground breaking", I didn't really think Oblivion or Half Life 2 were (basically only time I used the gravity gun was on the last level / when I needed to for puzzles, oh and a bit in ravenholme), mainly just hoping it turns out to be a good game.
Also I dunno what else to get so *shrug

#9 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4277 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 04:37 AM

Not to give excuses, but out of curiosity: wasn't Bioshock stalled for years? I think that may be the reason why it doesn't have anything new.
...70 years... LOL

#10 Moogle

Moogle

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1035 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 06:06 AM

View PostJuni Ori, on Aug 15 2007, 04:37 AM, said:

Not to give excuses, but out of curiosity: wasn't Bioshock stalled for years? I think that may be the reason why it doesn't have anything new.
Not that i know of oO, maybe you're thinking of Stalker?

#11 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6270 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 09:37 PM

Never was stalled, although the game has been in development since 2004, looks like an interesting game, think it could have been even bigger had it come out a bit earlier in 2005, but still will be interesting to see how the gaming public receives it.

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

#12 Doubler

Doubler

A regular Llama

• Admin
  • 2740 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 06:47 PM

Demo keeps crashing for me after the descent. Sometimes BSoD, sometimes CTD.

Edit: Fixed it, with some effort.

The game itself is nice. The atmosphere is great, and it offers some very good gameplay. Ï wouldn't count it as 'revolutionary' by any means, and I really doubt its replay value, but it's good fun.
I might get it when it gets cheaper. It's close enough to what I'd enjoy as FPS, I guess.

Wonderfull sig and avvie by Taikara :D

#13 Moogle

Moogle

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1035 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 12:21 AM

Mannn, Fry's was all sold out (on the first day, went there at like...3? mistake)
I'l have to obtain it elswhere apparently

#14 gregor

gregor

Member Munchkin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 06:25 AM

i only checked the screenshots and they seem kind of lame. yet another adventure in some dark places...

didn't really convince me.

i would much rather see a FPS in some area with lights. same as i don't like horror movies which are only dark so that something or someone comes out of it.

i think it can also be scary even if there is no night or dark place. i mean didn't people ever hear about lights?!? that's why i liked Half life cause it only had some places that were dark as a result of some power failure, but most of it, it was quite bright.

also the story is a bit strange (at least what i read from it). as are the characters.

do they alway need to be some mutants zombies?!?! And no one arround to help you?

bah...

#15 Potatoe

Potatoe

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1487 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 01:16 PM

This game is gonna be/is schweeet.

Reply to this topic