PrejudiceSucks

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1865 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 11:59 AM

View PostBlood-Pigggy, on Jul 4 2006, 08:29 AM, said:

I don't think that's true.

People who don't wish to lead are people who aren't going to have any initiative when they do lead.
It's like saying someone who doesn't want to go to school is going to do the best at school.
I completely disagree with you there.

Most people who actually want to lead are going to do so for their own benefit, they might be greedy, or want to further their own cause - of course, not all leaders are like that, but most are.

A lot of people who don't want to lead will be quite good because they'll defer command to whoever wants to take it, whilst giving their own opinion on such decisions - they are usually less proud and prone to paranoia about the security of their position.

And referring to your school comment -

A lot of students with a lot of talent get extremely bored with school. Either they're underchallenged, or they get a lot of pressure put on them to succeed.

A lot of good students don't actually want to go to school at all, and only do so to keep themselves out of trouble - I know a lot of people in such circumstances, and I myself have had a lot of pressure put upon me.

By the end of the school year, I was asking for days off for the most needless of reasons, such as a migraine or a stomach bug, when earlier in my school career I would have "soldiered on" and gone to school regardless.

#18 Blood-Pigggy

Blood-Pigggy

No mo' jibba jabba

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1901 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 12:49 PM

If they don't want to lead then they're just going to sit there and say "I don't wanna do this."
If they start to lead, the only way they're ever going to be worth anything is if they decide that they actually feel like leading.

Knight of the PICKLEWAESEL order!!1!21
Best Topics Ever: Aywanez Splenda Women PICKLEWESSEL Signs OMG

#19 PrejudiceSucks

PrejudiceSucks

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1865 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 01:19 PM

View PostBlood-Pigggy, on Jul 6 2006, 01:49 PM, said:

If they don't want to lead then they're just going to sit there and say "I don't wanna do this."
If they start to lead, the only way they're ever going to be worth anything is if they decide that they actually feel like leading.
Unless you're incredibly selfish, though, you can see that if you are a good candidate for leading, but do not really want to lead, that it might be in everyone else's best interests to lead - which means that you'll become a good leader, as you're actually interested in the cause you're working to.

#20 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4277 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 01:30 PM

And some don't want to lead, but as they see no one else is capable of taking control, they take it because they are responsible and want to do good for the people they have to lead.
...70 years... LOL

#21 PrejudiceSucks

PrejudiceSucks

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1865 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 02:24 PM

View PostJuni Ori, on Jul 6 2006, 02:30 PM, said:

And some don't want to lead, but as they see no one else is capable of taking control, they take it because they are responsible and want to do good for the people they have to lead.
Yeah, exactly my point.

#22 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 02:43 PM

Umm... yes. I must have been reading your reply wrong. Sorry, my bad. But we agree.
...70 years... LOL

#23 Japofran

Japofran

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 03:25 PM

I don't think nowadays constitutional monarchs can be compared to ancient ones, because they aren't rulers but mere representatives of the state. During the Middle Ages monarchs could either work for the well-being of their kingdom, or let the noblemen divide and steal the country, making life miserable for most people. Even when they were more "powerful" in the first case, they could enjoy the same luxuries and had to face less concerns in the second one. So it was about fulfilling their duty or not, and the monarchs who didn't want to rule let the noblemen do their will, plunging the country into misery.
..oO Mustached Crusader of the PEEKOCKSWOOZZLE Order Oo..
"STFU and show me your screenies!!"

#24 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 03:31 PM

Insteresting. So you say that if the Monarch didn't take care of his subjects, nobody did? I suggest you read a little history, there's huge number of nobility who did take care of their subjects - as well as huge number who didn't care anything else except their own wellfaring.
...70 years... LOL

#25 Japofran

Japofran

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 03:39 PM

In any struggle for power between the monarch and the noblemen in any country, the people usually took sides with the former, because the latter meant harsher conditions of serfdom, noble banditry and civil war. It was very like those Western films, the rancher against legitimate authority.
..oO Mustached Crusader of the PEEKOCKSWOOZZLE Order Oo..
"STFU and show me your screenies!!"

#26 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 04:05 PM

Rrrrrrright... No comments.
...70 years... LOL

#27 Blood-Pigggy

Blood-Pigggy

No mo' jibba jabba

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1901 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 04:46 PM

But if you're going to take responsibility then you're going to want to lead because you think you need to do so.

#28 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 04:49 PM

To want and to see what is must to do are two totally different things, imo.
...70 years... LOL

#29 Blood-Pigggy

Blood-Pigggy

No mo' jibba jabba

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1901 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 09:10 PM

But that makes no sense. You have to WANT to do things in order to do things, you've got to want to take responsibility, and you've got to want to lead in that chain, you can't not want to do things and do them, you may not wish to do thinks, but you can want to, there's a difference between wishing to do things and wanting.

#30 Sinke

Sinke

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 10:27 PM

I believe quite simply- that with great positions come great responsibilites. Whether you are a monarch, or a president in democracy, as long as you are true to your ideals and position- and "streetwise" prudent in your job- it will work.
One can always get mocked for being polite.