29 replies to this topic

#1 Blood-Pigggy

Blood-Pigggy

No mo' jibba jabba

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1901 posts

Posted 18 June 2006 - 08:51 PM

This is a REALLY cool game where you're the head of a movie studio. You get to manage your actors, directors, lots, films, and even the production of the movies! What's so cool is that you can essentially choose the shots, angles, emotions and ferocity of scenes in your films (script-writing is done by the PC in campaign mode, although Sandbox mode does allow you to create your own script entirely) add in the ability to voice over your films, add subtitles, and etc.

I've only played the demo so far, but it's already really fun, I'm going to pick up the full version in about 10 minutes (did a "pick-up" order from Bestbuy) but has anyone else played The Movies?

Knight of the PICKLEWAESEL order!!1!21
Best Topics Ever: Aywanez Splenda Women PICKLEWESSEL Signs OMG

#2 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6270 posts

Posted 18 June 2006 - 09:26 PM

Always wanted to play that game, looks awesome, made by the guy who made Theme Park, Black and White and Fable.

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

#3 BeefontheBone

BeefontheBone

Self-titling Egotist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2953 posts

Posted 18 June 2006 - 09:34 PM

I won a copy in a competition not long ago and haven't gotten round to playing it yet, though I keep meaning to.
[center]
QUOTE (gregor)
also consider this - the turkey *male genital*ula is called little asia on some geographical maps maps.

I'm your solar-powered princess/Your technological soulmate.

#4 Frodo

Frodo

Your neck looks very... tasty!

• Admin
  • 9533 posts

Posted 18 June 2006 - 10:09 PM

Sounds like a good game.  I like the idea of being able to make your own films.  

:)
Please click on my dragons to help them grow -    Posted Image   Posted Image   Posted Image

#5 Dimsey

Dimsey

N00b-a-R00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 06:40 AM

*Shameless Plug*

I love The Movies! Borrowed the expansion off a friend the other day.
Thats also good, if only for the addition of the freecam.
But extra scenes and stuff is also good.
Gotta get my own copy so I can start uploading again.
It's a really good game, it ain't Hollywood in a box.
But you can do quite a lot with it.
Currently playing
Mercs 2 (360), Spore (PC)

#6 Don Andy

Don Andy

N00b-a-R00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 07:49 PM

It's a pretty awesome game that can get you hooked for a while, but I couldn't manage to stay trough from the beginning till the year 2000 or something.

As awesome as it may be, it still gets somewhat boring after some time.
And pregenerated scripts you get are pretty weird XD

And it gets harder and harder to keep all your directors and actors up-to-date and happy. It feels sometimes more like Sims than a manager ^^

If you get The Movies also get the Expansion pack. It doesn't add a lot, but a few nice things.
I'm on vacation for 3 weeks from now on (26.06.2006)

#7 Docktor_Worm

Docktor_Worm

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 12:15 AM

I totally agree with Don Andy, the game plays the same from the 20's to the 00's, and while very addictive, is hard to take in large doses (i never really got past the 70's) I got the expansion pack, but I haven't really gotten time to check it out cuz you have to play through half the game to get the stuff in it. There's a pretty good online community for it too, and the online part is very well managed.
IPB Image
...her rabid glow is like braille to the night

#8 Stroggy

Stroggy

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 06:56 PM

I used to play it (until I grew bored of it).
I rarely made movies past the silent-movie era, as after that the lack of real voices in the movies became quite annoying (the provided voices sound more like some sort of annoying hum than a real voice)

#9 Blood-Pigggy

Blood-Pigggy

No mo' jibba jabba

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1901 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 12:21 AM

View PostDon Andy, on Jun 19 2006, 07:49 PM, said:

It's a pretty awesome game that can get you hooked for a while, but I couldn't manage to stay trough from the beginning till the year 2000 or something.

As awesome as it may be, it still gets somewhat boring after some time.
And pregenerated scripts you get are pretty weird XD

And it gets harder and harder to keep all your directors and actors up-to-date and happy. It feels sometimes more like Sims than a manager ^^

If you get The Movies also get the Expansion pack. It doesn't add a lot, but a few nice things.

Really? I'm in the year 1998, my stars and directors have been happy (70% of the time they're in the really happy zone) for about the whole time, it's really easy, I don't even have to pay any attention to them.
And yeah, the expansion pack is awesome, there's so much more you can do with your movies.

I only use the pregenerated scripts as cash income, I always make movies myself if I really want to make something fancy.
My longest movie so far was a zombie flick that lasted seventeen minutes. Lawl, the loading time was insane.

But really, just like the 3D Movie Maker that lasted me seven years, making my own custom movies is never gonna get old, especially since you can download more scenes and props online.

@Stroggy: You know you can put in your own voices? You can use a microphone, it's lip-synced and everything. I've made a few movies like that before.

And I think that kinda "speech replacement" noise is rather cool, gives you an excuse to put subtitles in my opinion, so it's more like a foreign film than just someone who was too lazy to voice his own movie.

#10 Stroggy

Stroggy

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 10:41 AM

I know I can put in my own voice, but the thing is my microphone does not work well at all.

And I still think the standard voices are quite bad.
Woman: "nnh-nnning-nnn, ngheee"
Man: "brawzl grl brvlz grr"

Oh, the horror!

#11 Blood-Pigggy

Blood-Pigggy

No mo' jibba jabba

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1901 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 10:46 AM

I just hate how in horror pictures you're trying to make it seem dramatic with the spooky music, and it  breaks the tension by having some retard start mumbling "Well, anan nunuana"
Otherwise, in the normal "talk" scenes, it doesn't bother me that much.

Also, you know you can remove the mumbling right? When you take your film to post-production, there's an option that says "Remove mumbling".

#12 DakaSha

DakaSha

Happy Little Tree-hugger

• Banned
  • 2013 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 02:48 PM

View PostDeathDude, on Jun 18 2006, 09:26 PM, said:

Always wanted to play that game, looks awesome, made by the guy who made Theme Park, Black and White and Fable.

dude its peter molyneux  :)
thats one of those names you say and not just name the games hes made ^^

my mom has the game and doesnt get it... i cant play it on my computer sadly

Posted Image
For all you artists here... and we have enough. Please draw me something :D Click Here. If possible include your nick. A simple Test. dunno of the PICKLEWAESEL order!!1!2

#13 Stroggy

Stroggy

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 03:01 PM

View PostDakaSha, on Jun 22 2006, 04:48 PM, said:

View PostDeathDude, on Jun 18 2006, 09:26 PM, said:

dude its peter molyneux  :)
thats one of those names you say and not just name the games hes made ^^

Too bad many mention his name in a negative context these days.

#14 DakaSha

DakaSha

Happy Little Tree-hugger

• Banned
  • 2013 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 03:02 PM

yeah.. well the dude is a sell out and he also screwed up quite a bit

Posted Image
For all you artists here... and we have enough. Please draw me something :D Click Here. If possible include your nick. A simple Test. dunno of the PICKLEWAESEL order!!1!2

#15 Stroggy

Stroggy

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 05:02 PM

So Black & White wasn't that great, so Fable wasn't all it was hyped up to be (games rarely are); you mustn't forget all the other games the guy gave us!

Personally, though Fable did fail to produce what it had promised, I still thought it was a pretty good game. Black & White (1 and 2), on the other hand, is  dreadfully boring (in my opinion).

Reply to this topic