49 replies to this topic

#16 taikara

taikara

Tai-Fu Mastah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2389 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 02:22 PM

Actually, I tend to control my diet very strictly, exercise regularly, and have for a few (5 or so) years now. You see, I have a hormonal imbalance that causes my blood sugar levels to drop and spike precipitously (and all that doctors have been able to tell me is that it's not diabetes or hypoglaucemia, but that it is somehow hormonal, and I don't have money for more tests atm).

If I don't control what I eat very strictly, I get very, very sick. The exercise is just for good measure (though it undoubtably helps, as well).

So, if there's something wrong with me, it's not with my diet, but with my body. And if soymilk helps that much, I hope you don't mind if I consider it somewhat miraculous.
..<[[[Tofu Ninja of the Pickasldawessle Order]]]>..
QUOTE (Tai - in response to DD on how people who fear change are like cats)
you mean the "you moved my litterbox, so I'm going to pee in your clothes hamper" attitude?
Yes, I just quoted myself. ph34r my T4i-F00!!.
doodoodoo!!!

#17 RyGuy

RyGuy

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 02:58 PM

After hearing all this I may just try soy milk. Sounds like it has quite a few benefits, even if it does lack some taste. Good luck with the hormonal imbalance Taikara! :)
IPB Image

#18 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 03:01 PM

That was Tai kind of my point, I don't mind if you think something is miraculous or anything. Of course it may be the same thing as with medicine: if you believe it works, it actually works! Hmm... Wonder if that same goes with alcohol... :)
...70 years... LOL

#19 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6270 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 03:02 PM

Sounds pretty much like a body issue rather than a diet issue indeed, especially with the hormonal imbalance, that can do wonders to the body at times and can cause some of the things ya mentioned.

But probably cutting back on the soda too gradually till ya hardly drink it will definitely help as well, it'll be hard but worth it when ya leave it behind, back in the day when I was working out a lot, used to drink tons of soda and eat chips or as they say unhealthy central, eventually cut those out of my diet, the pop and chips and even for a period of time only drank skim milk, did wonders with my energy and overall look, definitely considering going back to drinking skim as drinking 1% now since started working out more at the gym and would help or check out soy milk and see if it'll help we shall see. :)

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

#20 taikara

taikara

Tai-Fu Mastah

• Members
  • 2389 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 08:34 PM

@Juni: the "psychosomatic" theory wouldn't actually be very true in this case, as I started drinking soymilk with a totally different intent than "curing" the symptoms of my problem - I just wanted something to drink to give me a little energy that was healthier than diet sodas.

And I don't really think it's miraculous (I was exaggerating), but it's amazing how much better you feel when you've been suffering through something that nobody can tell you how to fix, and suddenly discover something that helps you feel a bit better (about yourself, as well as physically).

RyGuy said:

Good luck with the hormonal imbalance Taikara!

That sentence seriously made me laugh. :)

But thanks LOL

And soymilk nowadays doesn't really taste as bad as you'd think. I wouldn't recommend plain soymilk if you're not used to it - but vanilla flavored is pretty tasty (and to me, chocolate soymilk tastes better than chocolate milk).
you mean the "you moved my litterbox, so I'm going to pee in your clothes hamper" attitude?
doodoodoo!!!

#21 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • 6270 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 08:40 PM

Actually went out this morning for some shopping and just decided to check out how much some soy milk would cost. And wow 5 bucks for like 2 liters of it I believe that was the size, and just normal milk is about 2.20 so it's quite a bit of a difference, so maybe another time will take the plunge and give it a try, and yeah it will prob be vanilla although chocolate sounds tempting.

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

#22 BeefontheBone

BeefontheBone

Self-titling Egotist

• Members
  • 2953 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 09:08 PM

View Posttaikara, on Jun 16 2006, 09:34 PM, said:

RyGuy said:

Good luck with the hormonal imbalance Taikara!

That sentence seriously made me laugh. LOL

Phew, I don't have to feel bad about laughing now :)
[center]
QUOTE (gregor)
also consider this - the turkey *male genital*ula is called little asia on some geographical maps maps.

I'm your solar-powered princess/Your technological soulmate.

#23 Blood-Pigggy

Blood-Pigggy

No mo' jibba jabba

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1901 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 11:12 PM

Is soy some kind of bean? How do you turn it into milk?

Knight of the PICKLEWAESEL order!!1!21
Best Topics Ever: Aywanez Splenda Women PICKLEWESSEL Signs OMG

#24 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 17 June 2006 - 04:32 AM

Well, ok, Tai. But have you ever thought what poisons you get into your body from light sodas? Overuse of them might easily be at least partial reason for feeling not so good. Also, knowing US habits of eating, though not exactly yours, I don't wonder if there's health problems. No offence meant, but americans happen to be worst (in quality) eating people, at least compared to their technological and economic level.
...70 years... LOL

#25 taikara

taikara

Tai-Fu Mastah

• Members
  • 2389 posts

Posted 17 June 2006 - 04:37 PM

@Juni:

1. Your response is off topic.
2. Please don't presume to know what my problem is, as you have no idea.
3. No offense meant, but please don't be so bullheaded and hypocritical and point fingers at Americans for being unhealthy when there's a topic here in which you claim that Finland is basically the most alcoholic nation. I'm pretty sure it's established that alcohol is a lot more unhealthy than diet sodas, at least, I've never heard of anyone dying from "diet soda poisoning" after drinking too much diet soda. Besides, Americans are more diet and health conscious than you'd think, in general.

To get back on topic:

@Pigggy:

I believe the method used to make soymilk from soybeans is aqueous extraction (grind them together and add water).
doodoodoo!!!

#26 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 17 June 2006 - 05:55 PM

1. I disagree a bit.
2. I'm very well aware that I don't know what your problem is, just keeping the conversation alive.
3. I could dig out statistics if you'd necessarily want, but as stunned as I am of your reaction, I'm not posting here anymore. And I've never claimed that we don't have a serious health problem in our use of alcohol. At least my overall condition and health would be far more better than it is now, if I didn't drink. All I can say is I accept our national (including me) problem.
...70 years... LOL

#27 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6304 posts

Posted 17 June 2006 - 06:08 PM

I don't think Tai meant to tell you off, Juni, but she's right that this was intended as a thread about the advantages or disadvantages of soy, not a thread for wild speculation about the healthiness or unhealthiness of the lifestyle of complete strangers...

On topic: I've had tofu a few times, I think, but it didn't really leave a lasting impression on me - I can't even remember what it tasted like. Soy milk I've never been tempted to try, because I quite like milk and need to drink it for the calcium. Does soy milk even contain calcium?:)

"Flippin' immigrants, stealin' our bandwidth etc. etc." - PrejudiceSucks

#28 taikara

taikara

Tai-Fu Mastah

• Members
  • 2389 posts

Posted 17 June 2006 - 07:23 PM

I drink soymilk that's been enriched with calcium. I just compared the soymilk in my fridge to the skim milk also in my fridge, and the soymilk contains 35% DV (Daily Value - based on a 2000 calorie per day diet) of calcium per serving, while skim milk contains 30% DV.

Edit: About the tofu, it doesn't really actually have a distinctive taste of its own (most soy products don't), it tends to take on the flavor of what it's being cooked in.
doodoodoo!!!

#29 cheesegrater

cheesegrater

Forum Peon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 04:48 AM

I'm pretty sure it's established that alcohol is a lot more unhealthy than diet sodas, at least, I've never heard of anyone dying from "diet soda poisoning" after drinking too much diet soda.

It is called diabetes. 40 grams of glucose per can wears out the pancreas.

I personally do not like tofu. It usually gives me gas.

Both animal and plant products can be unhealthy especially if they are processed.
Parially hydrogenated and hydrogenated fats, pesticides, hormones, food aditives, coloring, artificial sweetners! Yum!!! American food!!!

I think that humans are more herbivores than omnivores. For example carnivores and omnivores can detoxity Vitamin A, they have large stomachs compared to intestines, high jaw pressure, etc. Herbivores are opposite. Humans share much more physical features with herbivores than omnivores.

I do not believe people need to drink milk to be healthy. Humans are the only species that drink milk after childhood and drinks milk of another species. I think the calcium claims and the food pyramid is propaganda. US farmers are subsidized by the government and they would rather protect them than consumer health. This is my altered food pyramid:

Legumes
Grains
Fruits/Vegetables

#30 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 11:28 AM

Damn old US propaganda then... Already in the middle-ages and possibly even earlier it was recommended to drink milk instead of water. Well, that's actually mostly for the same reason monks recommended beer over water in cities. Reason was simple: you can't brew beer without clean water. But in the countryside it was recommended, because it is nutritious and - repeating myself btw here - in the hard times sure source of calcium and energy.

Human is clearly omnivore, check out the teeth, for example. Check out our digestion. Btw, even cows can be part-time omnivores, if they happen to find corpse.

But I totally agree with that milk thing, except for the very rare occasions, when another species mother has feeded motherless child. And these are examples from the nature and thus very hard to actually tell how rare they are. Anyways, humans don't have anything to do with those cases. But they still don't drink milk when they grow up, as some of us do!
...70 years... LOL