#1 Moogle

Moogle

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1035 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 02:37 AM

...blew, in my opinion at least.

I mean, "No Country for old Men" won four, Directing, Picture, Writing, and Supporting actor.

I agree with supporting actor, but honestly, both Best Picture and Best Director? Wow... Personally I thought that "There Will Be Blood" was a bit better, "No Country" was good, but "There will be Blood" was excellent. Glad Daniel Day Lewis got best actor though.

However, whats even more annoying, to me at least, is that Cate Blanchett didn't win supporting actress for "I'm not there", granted, I didn't see Michael Clayton, but Blanchett's performance in "I'm not there" was pretty darn good.

#2 Docktor_Worm

Docktor_Worm

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 12:20 AM

Cormac McCarthy (the guy who wrote the book No Country for Old Men)  is such an amazing writer. Can't wait to see how "The Road" turns out.
IPB Image
...her rabid glow is like braille to the night

#3 Blood-Pigggy

Blood-Pigggy

No mo' jibba jabba

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1901 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 12:31 AM

View PostMoogle, on Feb 25 2008, 09:37 PM, said:

...blew, in my opinion at least.

I mean, "No Country for old Men" won four, Directing, Picture, Writing, and Supporting actor.

I agree with supporting actor, but honestly, both Best Picture and Best Director? Wow... Personally I thought that "There Will Be Blood" was a bit better, "No Country" was good, but "There will be Blood" was excellent. Glad Daniel Day Lewis got best actor though.

However, whats even more annoying, to me at least, is that Cate Blanchett didn't win supporting actress for "I'm not there", granted, I didn't see Michael Clayton, but Blanchett's performance in "I'm not there" was pretty darn good.

I personally believed it to be that There Will Be Blood had too much of a generic story telling device and it doesn't deliver the point of the film as well (in fact it hardly did it as well as No Country For Old Men) I definitely left There Will Be Blood with a somewhat unsettled feeling, but No Country For Old Men was absolutely profound. One sign of a great film is that it affects you a lot when you leave the theatre or finish watching the DVD.
There are lots of films I will admit are good and well done, but ultimately they're left behind to those movies that will have me thinking about them for awhile and No Country For Old Men is one of those.

I read the novel before I saw the film, I felt the same thing reading the novel, and I was extremely surprised that the impact was just as strong even when I knew what was actually going to happen.
The Road was an amazing book, if not for the excess of the word "gray" and it should make a great film. Although I have a strong feeling that there's going to be a lot cut out of it, unless they get a clever director or they're just crass.

But still, screw the Oscars, I still thought they were stupid for not giving There Will Be Blood more awards, it wasn't even nominated for some things where it totally excelled above all those junk films.
Of all the candidates they had, No Country and Blood are the only ones I'd find worth regarding as classics after this year.

And speaking on award shows, don't get me started about that Independent Film award show, they're such freaking idiots. Every time that thing comes on it's always the SAME god damn movies that win. It's either some stupid generic musical indie film (about some musician going from rags to riches, ie Hustle & Flow) or really dull foreign films.
I find it stupid how they boast that the awards show is for films that most people don't understand but they nominate the most base crap.

These things are all junk, it's left up to you to find the movies that are truly excellent. I'm pretty sure almost no one has heard about El Topo, and if they have it's most likely only because they heard it was John Lennon's favorite film, but it was amazing to stumble upon that movie. The best stuff is the stuff that no one really brings up, because they always surprise you and you don't have high expectations beforehand, and when it turns out they're better than %80 of most "classic" films it just blows your mind.

Knight of the PICKLEWAESEL order!!1!21
Best Topics Ever: Aywanez Splenda Women PICKLEWESSEL Signs OMG