20 replies to this topic

#1 nondon

nondon

Forum Peon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 12:41 PM

Well I know you guys come from many different countries, so I would like to know what is ur famous nation holiday in each country, and tourists should not be missed. ;)  
       I am Thai..actually in Thailand there are lots of tradition holiday, but I think the one that is the most famous is "Songkran" which begins on the 13th April and ends on the 15th April. For original version, we will wake up early in the morning to go to the Wat or monastery belonging to our village or district to offer food to the monks there.
        In the afternoon is bathing ceremony of the Buddha images and also of the abbot of the wat after this begins the well-known "water throwing feast". The bathing of images is done as ritualistic ceremony, but it is no other than a New Year's purification. Younger people will also on this day or the succeeding days go to pay their respect to and ask blessings from their elders and respected persons.
        For me this is also my favourite holiday cause I could go back to see my grand mother and other relatives in my home town..and then the best part was water throwing feast..I went out with friends and cousins on an open cart with big tanks and water balloon bombs (the small one  OMG ) and the time to flight as you see in the pics  :P

Attached Files

• Attached File  111.jpg   126.43K   77 downloads

#2 Docktor_Worm

Docktor_Worm

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 02:01 PM

Out here in the boonies of the US (Utah), the 24th of July is bigger than the 4th. It celebrates the pioneers settling in the Salt Lake valley, and naturally we celebrate that by blowing small parts of said valley up.
IPB Image
...her rabid glow is like braille to the night

#3 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6270 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 03:13 PM

Here biggest thing is indeed the nation's birthday, on July 1st, always big thing with lots happening all over the country. :P

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

#4 DannyMc252

DannyMc252

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 03:35 PM

Why do americans love blowing up their own country on certain days and every other country on the rest? We should boycott sale of explosives to america, mesays.

Uhm, Bank Holidays are good.. :P
user posted image
Meep?

#5 Blood-Pigggy

Blood-Pigggy

No mo' jibba jabba

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1901 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 04:41 PM

Because it annoys you, and if it annoys, they do it.

Knight of the PICKLEWAESEL order!!1!21
Best Topics Ever: Aywanez Splenda Women PICKLEWESSEL Signs OMG

#6 DakaSha

DakaSha

Happy Little Tree-hugger

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2013 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 05:15 PM

haha ^^

anyways easter is probably the biggest holiday here... whoopee

edit: wait.. the holiday that is celebrated the most is "fasching".. just a stupid costume thing that lasts for like 6 months.. but its celebrated for a week

Posted Image
For all you artists here... and we have enough. Please draw me something :D Click Here. If possible include your nick. A simple Test. dunno of the PICKLEWAESEL order!!1!2

#7 Tom Henrik

Tom Henrik

Funktastic Pimptabulous

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2784 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 09:17 PM

Well, our national day is May 17th, where the country goes wild (and is the only time you will see hordes of Russ - high schoolgraduates, who are allowed to do crazy and weird things). And on 23th of June, which is St. Hans - where we make huge bonfires and gather people throughout the night.

Usually there is music, singing, and activities around the fire as well.

Typical St. Hans:
Posted Image

Yo!

#8 Sean

Sean

Just call me Mr. Magic!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1265 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 09:40 PM

We just get drunk, whenever.

Both my Irish and English sides.
Me>You

#9 ManoFWar

ManoFWar

N00b-a-R00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 07:25 PM

Damn I wish to have in Italy something so funny like in Thailand I think its a  little dream of everybody do that to a cop   OMG   I guess the biggest festival I have was when Italy win the worldcup lots of beers for everyone :P  and also fireworks ;)

#10 PrejudiceSucks

PrejudiceSucks

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1865 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 09:15 AM

We have Guy Fawkes' night. We basically spend the day burning a doll of Guy Fawkes, who tried to blow up the Houses of Parliament, and drinking beer.

It's a pretty good day.

#11 Sean

Sean

Just call me Mr. Magic!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1265 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 12:00 PM

Told you, drinking beer.

I thought the blowing stuff up was just for the fun of it, hmm. Now I remember!

Guy Fawkes FTW!
Me>You

#12 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6304 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 12:59 PM

Didn't there use to be a puppet representing the pope as well?
At any rate the real Guy came to a far stickier end, as every Horrible Histories reader knows...:P

"Flippin' immigrants, stealin' our bandwidth etc. etc." - PrejudiceSucks

#13 Sean

Sean

Just call me Mr. Magic!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1265 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 04:24 PM

Ooh, I have some of those.

'cept mine are about "Mummies" I think.
Me>You

#14 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6304 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 04:59 PM

I still love them, but they're becoming more and more embarassing to buy, because the people at Blackwell's are giving me strange looks.:P

"Flippin' immigrants, stealin' our bandwidth etc. etc." - PrejudiceSucks

#15 Sean

Sean

Just call me Mr. Magic!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1265 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 08:35 PM

Ebay is your friend :)
Me>You