DakaSha

Happy Little Tree-hugger

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2013 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 05:13 AM

your doing something wrong.... as usual ^^

Posted Image
For all you artists here... and we have enough. Please draw me something :D Click Here. If possible include your nick. A simple Test. dunno of the PICKLEWAESEL order!!1!2

#17 Havell

Havell

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 11:46 AM

If you really want the partying dwarves to do something urgently, then just free the well, statue garden or wherever the party is being held and then redefine it.  That'll bring any current parties to an end.
IPB Image

#18 Eagle of Fire

Eagle of Fire

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 02:22 PM

Or even easier... Just don't define a well or a statue as a meeting place in the first place. You don't really need them anyways, if you absolutly need the hapiness boost from it then you are indeed doing something wrong. :D
"I am on a hot streak... Literally"

#19 DakaSha

DakaSha

Happy Little Tree-hugger

• Banned
  • 2013 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 04:15 PM

as far as i know he hasnt even played that far yet :D

he just complains that his dwarves do nothing because hes an impatient ADD tard ^^

i love u pigggy

Posted Image
For all you artists here... and we have enough. Please draw me something :D Click Here. If possible include your nick. A simple Test. dunno of the PICKLEWAESEL order!!1!2

#20 Havell

Havell

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 04:29 PM

View PostEagle of Fire, on Nov 5 2007, 02:22 PM, said:

Or even easier... Just don't define a well or a statue as a meeting place in the first place. You don't really need them anyways, if you absolutly need the hapiness boost from it then you are indeed doing something wrong. :D

It's handy to be able to control where your dwarves take breaks, they tend to pick stupid places like outside and near rivers.

Of course, wells and statue gardens aren't necessary for this now since you can just designate a meeting place zone...

Yeah, just don't bother with statue gardens and well meeting places, leave an empty room in your fort and set it as a meeting zone.
IPB Image

#21 Eagle of Fire

Eagle of Fire

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 06:04 PM

To my great shame, I been so busy IRL that I didn't try the new version yet... Sounds very, very interesting...

Can someone buy me some time to play it?  :D

#22 Potatoe

Potatoe

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1487 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 01:58 PM

View PostEagle of Fire, on Nov 5 2007, 08:04 PM, said:

To my great shame, I been so busy IRL that I didn't try the new version yet... Sounds very, very interesting...

Can someone buy me some time to play it?  :D
How much is 5 hours worth in euros?

#23 Eagle of Fire

Eagle of Fire

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 06:53 PM

I managed to find some time, and I'm at my second fortress now. :)

So much new things... But somehow I'm really lost in all of it. Is it really necessary to have 200 different kind of stones in the game?  Also, my first game was on a map without a mountain side... I was really lost until I realised how to dig downward. Having a soil layer is great.  :huh:  

What this version will be remembered about, IMHO, is the increased challenge rating. In my second fortress, I didn't bring wood because I thought the place was heavily forested... Maybe I did a mistake with selecting the biome at the place selection screen, but now I'm now trying to build a fortress with only the little wood the caravans will bring me to trade.  :D

Anybody tryied to create a viable metal operation yet? I'm lost in all the options, and without wood and magma... It will take me a long time to get something running. A shame, this place is so great for metal veins!

#24 Blood-Pigggy

Blood-Pigggy

No mo' jibba jabba

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1901 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 08:18 PM

The stone types I don't find confusing, some are economic and some are for building, you trade certain types of stone and build with the other.

It's just finding out which classification a certain type of stone belongs to which confuses me.

Knight of the PICKLEWAESEL order!!1!21
Best Topics Ever: Aywanez Splenda Women PICKLEWESSEL Signs OMG

#25 DakaSha

DakaSha

Happy Little Tree-hugger

• Banned
  • 2013 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 08:21 PM

yep same here

Posted Image

#26 Docktor_Worm

Docktor_Worm

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 12:02 AM

IMO the addition of clay obsoletes irrigation, makes farming very easy, and basically eliminates the threat of starvation, one of the main challenges in the last version
IPB Image
...her rabid glow is like braille to the night

#27 Blood-Pigggy

Blood-Pigggy

No mo' jibba jabba

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1901 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 12:14 AM

Depends on where you start, right now I have a suckass shale hole, and I've dug down a ton of levels with no silt or clay.

Knight of the PICKLEWAESEL order!!1!21
Best Topics Ever: Aywanez Splenda Women PICKLEWESSEL Signs OMG

#28 Havell

Havell

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 03:00 AM

I very much doubt you'll hit farmable soil by digging downwards through rock, Pigggy.

And yes, farming has got a little easily, but that's msotly because of how stupidly complex a irrigation system would have to be in the new version, what with water staying where it is unless it's drained.  I tried to build a system, with water coming in from a river and draining into a large reservior but it was just hell getting the damn thing to work.  To be honest, I don't think farming on soil is that much easier than the previous version, the floodable farming area was trivial to build if you knew how, and was near-impossible to figure out on your own without checking the wiki (due to the way in which connecting things up lever mechanisms and the floodgates themselves work), which is the worst combination in terms of the challenge posed by it.  There's still all the same problems with regards to starvation as in the old version in terms of the infrastructure needed for farming.

However, what does make starvation far, far easier to avoid is the new ability to farm during winter, thus eliminating the challenge of stocking up on food for winter and then just about making it through alive.  This, I don't like.

You can check, in the new "stones" section in the "z" fortress summary screen, what stones are economic, and their uses, which is very cool indeed.  Or you could jsut type it into the wiki.  I had a strange problem with a previous fort, which was that I didn't have any stone, it was all soil, right the way down to the aquifer, so I was stuck making everything from wood.  Which was interesting.

And @Eagle, biomes are a little funny.  Sometimes, they work as they should and you have forest in some parts of the map and stoney mountains in others, sometimes, it forgets all about the trees everywhere.  As it's much harder to start a tree farm now (you need to find some tower-caps growing around an underground lake, I have yet to find this).
IPB Image

#29 Eagle of Fire

Eagle of Fire

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 05:19 AM

Yeah, I hear you about the new farming system. Or, should I say, the new irigation system. We had it way too easy in the old version. Water used to drain itself out and disapear like magic, but it would never happen like this IRL. That's why we have such big improvements in the new version. :D

I've thought about it and I've found a way to create an easy irigation system without the complicated use of waterpumps and the like. All you need is a small pond and the means to dig at it's level or one lever under it. The point is to siphon only a little part of the water in the pond and keep it imprisoned between floodgates or doors, whichever you prefer. Once this is done and that you have just the right amount of water imprisoned in your tube, you open the door to your farm room and the water will evenly distribute itself on the floor. Since you'll never flood the whole place, it will be enough to muddy the farm floor and you're ready to build a farm plot. :huh:

Link.

On the picture, you can see my water shaft and the resulting farmplots. It been a full year since I've started though, and I took the opportunity to mine out an hematite vein there. I plan to rewall the shaft later on to be able to siphon the water again should I ever need it. And you can't see it 'cause it's open, but I've linked a door to a lever at the entrance of the shaft to the farmroom, but it's there. :)

As you can see, the pond is back to 7/7 (full capacity). I beleive it got back to that point after winter, right after the water unfreezed.

Edit: Oh yeah, and I should also point out that water slowly evaporate when it's not connected to a water source. Having 1/7 water all over the place will evaporate completely in the matter of a few month, if not a few weeks.

#30 Eagle of Fire

Eagle of Fire

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 07:35 PM

Well, now that the new version is out and it's obvious it's an incredible improvement, shoud we not write a review about the game?

I'd be happy to do it, but with personnal matters and time issues it might be a long while before I complete it. Is anybody already working on it? And if I do it, should I make a review similar to ADOM?

I'd like some imput on the matter please. This game is so great that I feel it deserve some kind of special treatment. Don't you agree? :D

Reply to this topic