30 replies to this topic

#1 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4277 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 03:06 PM

Peter Molyneux has set a target to make players feel love. BBC's article can be read here. I know I can feel loath and hatred, excitement, be thrilled and excited, but could I feel love? I don't know, but so far most touching game or characters was definitely the love of Max Payne and Mona Sax. Clichéd perhaps, but working. Working too damn well. Taking that into consideration, I guess I could have even stronger feelings towards a game character, but really love it? I think not. Anyways, what do you guys think about it?

Also, could it have some major drawbacks? Could it alianate us from real humans or have some other psychological, negative effect?
...70 years... LOL

#2 Blood-Pigggy

Blood-Pigggy

No mo' jibba jabba

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1901 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 03:14 PM

It's the same as a movie or something.

Knight of the PICKLEWAESEL order!!1!21
Best Topics Ever: Aywanez Splenda Women PICKLEWESSEL Signs OMG

#3 Potatoe

Potatoe

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1487 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 03:16 PM

I don't think he can do it. I think people feel alienated because the characters in games are digital, they don't have feelings. I couldn't love a piece of data...

#4 DakaSha

DakaSha

Happy Little Tree-hugger

• Banned
  • 2013 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 03:24 PM

i dont know... alot of people threw there ps out of the window when aeris died in FF7

that was the biggest blow though anyway in a game... level a friggen char up and then lose the *kvetch*

Posted Image
For all you artists here... and we have enough. Please draw me something :D Click Here. If possible include your nick. A simple Test. dunno of the PICKLEWAESEL order!!1!2

#5 Blood-Pigggy

Blood-Pigggy

No mo' jibba jabba

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1901 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 03:46 PM

Final Fantasy 7 sucked and Aeris was a gay tard that was a totally useless character anyway cause she died over and over in battle, I was glad she died, only nerds cried at her death.

#6 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6270 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 03:51 PM

You could relate it exactly the same as novels really, sometimes when we are reading we can relate with some of the characters in the book, so its possible the same sort of emotions can be used when playing a game too.

It'll be interesting to see what they do with the next Fable too, if this is the plan, if you could guess develop an emotional connection like they hope. Can you? I think its possible, but again it depends on the characters, if its going to be a generalized main character and or side character think its much harder, but we'll see what they have planned.

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

#7 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 03:51 PM

I've heard some good about FF-series - however I personally can't stand them - and remember some babble about how somebody's death was so horrible. Dunno, did people really love the character?
...70 years... LOL

#8 Guest_Aramatheus_*

Guest_Aramatheus_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2007 - 03:54 PM

GOD DAMN IT I'VE NEVER PLAYED FFVII and I was meaning to play it AND NOW I KNOW SHE DIES!!!! ARGH.. seriously this constitutes for a damn suicide -_-

grrr.. serves me right for actually reading forums..

Anyway, I've fell in love with game characters, worlds, the games themselves. Chrono Trigger, Terranigma, two of many games that actually made me shed tears because of the story or finishing the corresponding games.. It's a different kind of love but I still think it is. Love.

#9 DakaSha

DakaSha

Happy Little Tree-hugger

• Banned
  • 2013 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 03:55 PM

you dint KNOW that?

Posted Image
For all you artists here... and we have enough. Please draw me something :D Click Here. If possible include your nick. A simple Test. dunno of the PICKLEWAESEL order!!1!2

#10 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 03:57 PM

We Finns are definitely crazy, but I didn't Aramatheus was that crazy! :)
...70 years... LOL

#11 Blood-Pigggy

Blood-Pigggy

No mo' jibba jabba

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1901 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 04:01 PM

View PostJuni Ori, on Mar 10 2007, 10:51 AM, said:

I've heard some good about FF-series - however I personally can't stand them - and remember some babble about how somebody's death was so horrible. Dunno, did people really love the character?

Yeah, but they were nerds. You know how nerds are.

#12 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6270 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 04:03 PM

While it wasnt the most unoriginal concept, think at the time when the game was released in 96 was quite different at the time, wouldn't go so far to actually cry or whatnot for what happened, think in this case a bit much. :) Also annoyed me later on, because I didn't know where she died, so I built her level up quite high, training and battling and was like all that work and it happens now, geez.

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

#13 Blood-Pigggy

Blood-Pigggy

No mo' jibba jabba

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1901 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 04:06 PM

Well she wasn't that great anyway.

#14 Tulac

Tulac

The Great Red Lemur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1546 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 05:52 PM

Love in the character in what sence? Love like a puppy, a woman, or like your close relatives?

DakaSha:if you go into a kindergarden and give all the kids rubber schlongs they will prob just hit each other over the head with them
DakaSha:and you have a class of little kids hitting eachother with rubber dongs which must be quite funny (also Picklweasel knight I am)

#15 Moogle

Moogle

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1035 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 07:28 PM

Emotions? Games? What???

It moved, shoot it.

Emotions, nah.