44 replies to this topic

#16 Peter Smith

Peter Smith

Forum Peon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 04:59 PM

let me get this straight. the troubleshooting was still going on, there was still this big problem causing the updating script to not work, yet half an hour after that statement it suddenly worked :shrug:

#17 taikara

taikara

Tai-Fu Mastah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2389 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 05:00 PM

There are still some minor errors, but I've managed to push through an update with Kosta's assistance, and we'll continue with our updating schedule.

Please report any issues you come across, it will help us track down any errant bugs.

@Peter Smith: I apologize for the inconvenience you have experienced, but Kosta's skill is not in question - he is only one person, with only so much time on his hands, and many projects to divide it between. I understand your frustration, though, and I thank you for being so dedicated to the site that you have taken the time to comment on the matter.
..<[[[Tofu Ninja of the Pickasldawessle Order]]]>..
QUOTE (Tai - in response to DD on how people who fear change are like cats)
you mean the "you moved my litterbox, so I'm going to pee in your clothes hamper" attitude?
Yes, I just quoted myself. ph34r my T4i-F00!!.
doodoodoo!!!

#18 Peter Smith

Peter Smith

Forum Peon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 05:08 PM

why not have kosta answer in the first place then, as all answers i got so far showed an absolute lack of knowledge of what was going on :shrug:

#19 Kosta

Kosta

The Great Creater

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 05:16 PM

View PostPeter Smith, on Jul 11 2007, 05:08 PM, said:

why not have kosta answer in the first place then, as all answers i got so far showed an absolute lack of knowledge of what was going on :shrug:
okok, here I am :ok: Here's the short version. Frodo was the one making the initial updates after the server move, and they were all broken. I thought something was wrong with the server/scripts after the move, but in the end it turned out that Frodo's computer is the one causing problems, for reasons yet undetermined. All the files she attempts to upload turn out with filesize 0 for some reason. So basically everything was working all along, we were just trying to find problems where they didn't exist :D The only thing that remains to be ironed out is the synchronization between the fileserver and webserver. I'll fix that once I get back home to Croatia. Currently I'm halfway there, in Germany to be more precise.

#20 taikara

taikara

Tai-Fu Mastah

• Members
  • 2389 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 05:20 PM

It's fun getting 16 lines of error reports when you update along with the message "Game has been SUCCESSFULLY added to the database" though (sync issues, I guess) :shrug:
..<[[[Tofu Ninja of the Pickasldawessle Order]]]>..
QUOTE (Tai - in response to DD on how people who fear change are like cats)
you mean the "you moved my litterbox, so I'm going to pee in your clothes hamper" attitude?
Yes, I just quoted myself. ph34r my T4i-F00!!.
doodoodoo!!!

#21 Lachie Dazdarian

Lachie Dazdarian

N00b-a-R00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 06:41 PM

Hey, I'm from Croatia too. Pozdrav!

We should meet...that is, if I was into meeting new people. :shrug:

Anyway, don't forget your fellow countryman and a game developer struggling for the needed attention.

I made a post about my games in the Requests forum.

wink-wink

Boy, that winking was sure unnecessary. :ok:
Lachie Dazdarian - The Maker Of Stuff

#22 PrejudiceSucks

PrejudiceSucks

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1865 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 03:24 PM

View PostPeter Smith, on Jul 11 2007, 05:29 PM, said:

can you not take any criticism? i come here almost daily to get new games and am getting impatient as there havent been any new games for a month now. i do have a right to ask what the reasons behind it are, unless you are in it for yourselves and not for the people looking for free games.
OK, here's an even simpler response - we are mere humans. Sorry to disappoint. As fantastic a figure as Kosta is, there's only so much he can do, as well as everything else in his life.

The same goes for the rest of the people here. Since we're, in the main, some variation of students, the last few months have been extremely hectic with exams etc., as well as the rest of life in general.

Hope that helps.

#23 thebes

thebes

Forum Peon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 02:34 AM

I for one think Kosta and you guys are doing great!  :P  You have two sites to keep up with and a millon things going on,..plus most of you are busy students. Kudos from this humble user.  :P

P.S. Hope this topic is not too old to comment on.  LOL

#24 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 06:57 PM

Hehe, I believe that such compliments would forgive if somebody thinks it's a crime to revive thread.
...70 years... LOL

#25 Docktor_Worm

Docktor_Worm

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 01:55 AM

i just wish somebody would actually pay attention to the requests section, and put less low quality stuff on the site. There have been so many great games suggested, but we get a lot of reviews for sub par arcade games. No offense to anyone though, the admins are doing a great job.
IPB Image
...her rabid glow is like braille to the night

#26 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6304 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 05:09 PM

View PostDocktor_Worm, on Dec 20 2007, 02:55 AM, said:

i just wish somebody would actually pay attention to the requests section, and put less low quality stuff on the site. There have been so many great games suggested, but we get a lot of reviews for sub par arcade games. No offense to anyone though, the admins are doing a great job.
Hmm, fair enough, but that's mainly up to review writers (i.e. all forum users, as opposed to just the people who add the reviews to the site), though, isn't it?:P As far as I know it's perfectly OK for anyone to review those great games from the requests forum even if they haven't made it onto The List yet, as long as they PM a crew member to let them know they're reviewing it. So if people want to review those games and there aren't any obvious reasons why they shouldn't be reviewed yet, there's nothing to stop them.

"Flippin' immigrants, stealin' our bandwidth etc. etc." - PrejudiceSucks

#27 Frodo

Frodo

Your neck looks very... tasty!

• Admin
  • 9533 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 05:25 PM

View PostDocktor_Worm, on Dec 20 2007, 01:55 AM, said:

Well I'm VERY interested in reviewing System Shock remake requested here  -  http://www.reloaded....h...opid=57569

:P
Please click on my dragons to help them grow -    Posted Image   Posted Image   Posted Image

#28 Blood-Pigggy

Blood-Pigggy

No mo' jibba jabba

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1901 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 01:50 AM

Yeah, until you play like fifteen minutes in and realize the interface is like Ultima Underworld's except you're in hell and everything has to be ten times more difficult for no reason at all.

Knight of the PICKLEWAESEL order!!1!21
Best Topics Ever: Aywanez Splenda Women PICKLEWESSEL Signs OMG

#29 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 05:42 AM

AJ, agreed into certain degree. Cold fact seems to be that people have problems getting dibs on reviews. Certain members apparently see anything they think they might like. Does that sound like encouraging members' activity? As far as in my case, I think I may have reviewed Steel Panthers (WaW/Win-versions in one), but as it is second one I "got" which I was interested in, I apparently really don't care. This may be open accusation, but thinking where it comes, it has to have some weight: I don't like the certain degree of elitism in the activity here.
...70 years... LOL

#30 Doubler

Doubler

A regular Llama

• Admin
  • 2740 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 04:00 PM

You're forgetting that apparently those games that such people call dibs on all the time are also those that some people seem to have had enough of. LOL
As I see it then, there's not much keeping other people from reviewing those games they want to see. There's no 'elite' that would keep them from it.

And otherwise, I think most people can speak for themselves in such a matter. I've seen or heard little to indicate the problem you pose. :P

Now if you think a small group is doing most of the work at the moment, then I think you should at least pose the question whether that's because they are overzealous, or that there's some other reason. For example: that there's not much counterweight, which can make it seem or make it necessary that those that are active take on more.

Wonderfull sig and avvie by Taikara :D

Reply to this topic