Star Wars: The Battle Of Yavin

9 replies to this topic

#1 Doubler

Doubler

A regular Llama

• Admin
  • 2740 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 03:26 PM

Feel free to comment and discuss this game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks don't hesitate to share them with the others! Thanks!

Review + download

Wonderfull sig and avvie by Taikara :D

#2 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4277 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 08:36 PM

Man. I. Love. This. Game. :P Third time through, scoring over 2,7M!
...70 years... LOL

#3 JimmyJ

JimmyJ

Daily Denizen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 05:05 AM

I keep getting some wierd active x error when trying to play game.

#4 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6270 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 05:10 AM

Might want to post a screenshot or the exact error words of what ya getting, active x error though that is odd, that's IE broswer related and the game has nothing to do with it.

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

#5 JimmyJ

JimmyJ

Daily Denizen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 06:15 AM

It says:
Run-time error '429':

ActiveX component can't create object

#6 Potatoe

Potatoe

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1487 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 12:20 AM

This game is hard. I haven't played it much, but I can't control the ship correctly, I always screw up(when I want to go up, I go down, vice versa).
Reminds me of the good ol X-wing vs Tie fighter, I miss that game. Oh what fun I had with it. It was absolutely pwnage. :)

#7 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • 6270 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 12:22 AM

Oh yeah most flight based games are like that with that type of directional setup, just takes a few flights to get used to it. :)

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

#8 Potatoe

Potatoe

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1487 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 12:26 AM

View PostDeathDude, on Jul 25 2006, 12:22 AM, said:

Oh yeah most flight based games are like that with that type of directional setup, just takes a few flights to get used to it. :)
Yeah. But the graphics still remind me of those old X-wing games.

#9 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • 6270 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 12:30 AM

Yeah a bit for sure is similar.

#10 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4277 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 04:05 PM

I recently reinstalled this gem and after three games (all completed, 2,2M, 2,4M, 2,5M), I can't understand why people think this is difficult? Perhaps people haven't realized all or some of the following aspects:

1   Unlike in Endor, shotgun tactics (all four cannons firing simultaneously) doesn't work here. In Yavin every hit counts and gives you score.
2   If you have trouble reaching the thrench, because you lack support in later stages, concentrate in enemy fighters and ignore the Star Destroyers and Turbolaser Turrets. AI Rebels have clearly more difficulties againts fighters.
3   Never collide. It's never worth it. Keep your eye glancing the radar and try to stay in highest or lowest "altitude" when in space, making only sweeps through the crowded middle "altitude". Only thing I I can see reasonable enough for collide is very-low-shield-kamikaze against shield generator or Turbolaser Turret.
4   Remember to destroy the actual Turbolaser Guns before their base. This way you get more points and may get one crucial life more.
5   As in Endor, if you have two enemy fighters to choose from, save your buddy.
6   In the trench learn to get those turrets by one hit and to estimate when they are in range. I usually destroy 50% of them and only 25% ever hit me.
7   NEVER fly straight, always keep jinking, even in runs against stationary targets. One or two hits from enemy TIE's is nothing, but if you have two or three tailing you and you fly straight forward, concentrated to your target, say your prayers. Again: keep your eyes in the radar.
I hope that helps even a little bit.
...70 years... LOL

Reply to this topic