40 replies to this topic

#1 RyGuy

RyGuy

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 03:10 AM

No I didn't disappear, I'm still floating around. And in this months issue of Games For Windows there was a nice article about the authors of Dwarf Fortress. It's a combination of a roguelike and a sim(not sure how else to describe it). I'm addicted to the sim. It's so well done in my eyes and even though I'm not far at all into this, I love it. I'm usually not a big fan of ascii but Dwarf Fortress pulls it off nicely and with a little bit of time you get used to what's what and it's as if it isn't ascii. Sound is nothing incredible, it comes with a nice little soundtrack or for those of you who want to play your own music or have a slow internet connection there is a package without the soundtrack, I'd recommend you stick it out that extra while though because the soundtrack is a nice addition. I included a nice little picture of my camp so far. The red circle is where I've struck silver :shrug:
Posted Image

Web page for Dwarf Fortress
Screen shots
IPB Image

#2 greywolf

greywolf

The Wanderer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 03:55 AM

While an excellent request, it's still in beta and there's going to be another huge release in (hopefully) a few more weeks, so a review now would be obsolete in a month or two. (In fact, the wesnoth review is now somewhat out of date as well...) I've had my eyes fixed on this game ever since Beef alerted me to its existence last year before it was released publicly, however, so rest assured, this game is going on the site eventually. :shrug:

#3 RyGuy

RyGuy

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 04:05 AM

It's playable in its current state, but I see your point. Just making sure it's known, it wasn't on the list so yeah.
IPB Image

#4 BeefontheBone

BeefontheBone

Self-titling Egotist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2953 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 03:34 PM

*cough*

http://www.reloaded....?showtopic=1267

Not on t'list because it's not in a reviewable state, but has indeed been mentioned, because it's teh awesome.
[center]
QUOTE (gregor)
also consider this - the turkey *male genital*ula is called little asia on some geographical maps maps.

I'm your solar-powered princess/Your technological soulmate.

#5 RyGuy

RyGuy

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 06:18 PM

I didn't search the forum, just the list. :shrug: But it's definitely in a reviewable state. I'm sure they're going to add more to it, but so far it definitely is a game.
IPB Image

#6 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6270 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 06:20 PM

By reviewable state, I think Beef meant, that is has to be out of beta. :shrug: Generally we don't review games that are in beta mode, unless production has stopped or there is enough game material, to be playable, if that is the case.

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

#7 BeefontheBone

BeefontheBone

Self-titling Egotist

• Members
  • 2953 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 06:24 PM

Precisely - we decided some time ago only to put up reviews for games which are out of beta in order to reduce the amount of review out-of-dateness and updating work needed. 'course, we'll happily discuss them and reccomend quality stuff like DF all over the place :shrug:
[center]
QUOTE (gregor)
also consider this - the turkey *male genital*ula is called little asia on some geographical maps maps.

I'm your solar-powered princess/Your technological soulmate.

#8 RyGuy

RyGuy

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 06:56 PM

The out-of-dateness does make sense. However I still recommend this to people as is because I'm having so much fun with it. :shrug:
IPB Image

#9 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 01:08 AM

TBH, I most likely would have got into this one, but ASCII has done some damn pretty good results. In the far past. Today: we got computers, you can do it with graphics. With graphics, I believe I'd be loving this game... (and yes, I've tried this one)
...70 years... LOL

#10 RyGuy

RyGuy

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 01:35 AM

Sure it'd be nice, but I don't think it's a big enough reason to get people to not play.
IPB Image

#11 Potatoe

Potatoe

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1487 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 09:18 AM

View PostJuni Ori, on Jun 23 2007, 04:08 AM, said:

TBH, I most likely would have got into this one, but ASCII has done some damn pretty good results. In the far past. Today: we got computers, you can do it with graphics. With graphics, I believe I'd be loving this game... (and yes, I've tried this one)
But good ASCII is better than bad 2d or bad 3d.

By the way, what are hist figs? I'm playing this now :shrug:

#12 Havell

Havell

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 01:52 PM

I've attached an image of my fort, it's housing around 100 dwarves and I'm just getting into mass-producing steel so I can properly equip my soldiers with steel armour and weapons.

Top Dwarf Fortress tips for beginners include:

- Think of a set plan for how your fortress will be designed, I went for a grid of 12x6 rooms (though remember that a 7x7 area will cave in if it's unsupported).  A good approach for workshops is to have a room with a workshop in the centre, an input stockpile on one side of it, and an output stockpile on the other side.  Another method I've seen, but not tried, is 5x5 rooms with a workshop in the centre and stockpiles all around.  Experiment!

- Make wide corridors.  Two dwarves cannot walk past each other in a corridor one tile wide, one will lie down while the other walks over him.  This takes quite a lot of time and will slow down movement around your fortress.  The minimum you really want a corridor is 2 tiles wide.  You'll want your main, central artery to be 5-6 tiles wide (7 tiles wide will cave-in, of course).  You don't have to immediately make it this wide, I started with a central corridor 2 tiles wide (as I had two miners) and built long corriodrs leading off it to my early room, so I had space to widen it later.

- Get farming up and running fast.  It's quite simple to make a farm, you need a channel leading off a river, controlled by floodgates linked to a lever, into a sealed chamber (sealing meaning with a locked door as the only entrance).  Flood then unflood the room with water to make the room muddy.  You can now build farm plots in your room, farmers will need to come in and plant seeds in it.  You'll need to flood the room again every spring, as the room will unmuddy during the winter and you won't be able ot grow anything.  Plump helmets are perfectly fine as a crop, they've served me well for the entire game so far.  They're the only crop my dwarves eat, and the only booze they drink is brewed from it.

- Make a really good dining room.  Dwarves are made happy when they use high quality rooms, and they'll extract just as much happiness from eating in a good dining room as they will from sleeping in a good bedroom.  Since they need individual bedrooms but all share one dining room, it's much easier to make thme happy through a good dining room than good bedrooms.  Gold and platinum statues work really well for this, though I was lucky enough to get a legendary engravers, so his artwork all over the room makes it as good as it can be without needing this.

I've attached an image of my fort, it's housing around 100 dwarves and I'm just getting into mass-producing steel so I can properly equip my soldiers with steel armour and weapons.  Oh, and I'm really sorry about breaking the frame on this page into tiny pieces.

Top Dwarf Fortress tips for beginners include:

- Think of a set plan for how your fortress will be designed, I went for a grid of 12x6 rooms (though remember that a 7x7 area will cave in if it's unsupported).  A good approach for workshops is to have a room with a workshop in the centre, an input stockpile on one side of it, and an output stockpile on the other side.  Another method I've seen, but not tried, is 5x5 rooms with a workshop in the centre and stockpiles all around.  Experiment!

- Make wide corridors.  Two dwarves cannot walk past each other in a corridor one tile wide, one will lie down while the other walks over him.  This takes quite a lot of time and will slow down movement around your fortress.  The minimum you really want a corridor is 2 tiles wide.  You'll want your main, central artery to be 5-6 tiles wide (7 tiles wide will cave-in, of course).  You don't have to immediately make it this wide, I started with a central corridor 2 tiles wide (as I had two miners) and built long corriodrs leading off it to my early room, so I had space to widen it later.

- Get farming up and running fast.  It's quite simple to make a farm, you need a channel leading off a river, controlled by floodgates linked to a lever, into a sealed chamber (sealing meaning with a locked door as the only entrance).  Flood then unflood the room with water to make the room muddy.  You can now build farm plots in your room, farmers will need to come in and plant seeds in it.  You'll need to flood the room again every spring, as the room will unmuddy during the winter and you won't be able ot grow anything.  Plump helmets are perfectly fine as a crop, they've served me well for the entire game so far.  They're the only crop my dwarves eat, and the only booze they drink is brewed from it.

- Make a really good dining room.  Dwarves are made happy when they use high quality rooms, and they'll extract just as much happiness from eating in a good dining room as they will from sleeping in a good bedroom.  Since they need individual bedrooms but all share one dining room, it's much easier to make thme happy through a good dining room than good bedrooms.  Gold and platinum statues work really well for this, though I was lucky enough to get a legendary engravers, so his artwork all over the room makes it as good as it can be without needing this.

Attached Files

IPB Image

#13 RyGuy

RyGuy

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 06:25 PM

How long did it take you to get that because I am in no way able to get that.  :shrug:
IPB Image

#14 Potatoe

Potatoe

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1487 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 07:17 PM

Looks awsome. I gave a hand at the adventurer game-type(not as good as ADoM, but fun), I went in to the first town, killed a dog by chocking it to death, took it's corpse and went on to bash a child to death with it after first choking him/her a bit. Naturely people didn't like this so I picked up the child corpse and started bashing everyone with the corpse. I managed to make a guy unconcious but then I was killed. Very fun to wrestle though, more roguelikes should have this feature.

Edit: When starting out, should I wait until the miners are finished and put my first stockpiles there(in a seperate room in the mountain) or create a stockpile first in the open and THEN in to the mountain?

edit: This thread could be merged(if there is one, which I think there is) in the favorite games section or moved there to make a completely new topic.

#15 Eagle of Fire

Eagle of Fire

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 09:21 PM

I only barely scratched the surface of this game... But so far, it's brilliant!  :shrug:
"I am on a hot streak... Literally"

Reply to this topic