#1 Philip

Philip

Forum Peon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 02:26 PM

Greetings all of you! :P

First of all I just found your forum, second of all I was way to fast clicking through the registration, so I registered a user named "peeJAY" on my main mail, but I registered as under 13, if you would just delete the user, as I'm here with this one. :D Thank you

But, now for the main question!

I want to create some games, or atleast a game, I'm not going all crazy saying I'm singlehanded going to create the next World Of Warcraft, my "goal" is to create a game like "I Wanna Be That Guy" not a very beautiful game, but a funny one!
IWBTG is a 2D game, with sprite graphics.

My question goes: Where do I start? I have no problem learning a coding language, but is it stupid to use the time, what do you guys think? I could easily learn "to code," as I have no problem learning, or coding.

But if I should learn a language, which one? Java or is C++ better?
And if not, what program do you think I should use?
And where do I begin, some tutorials and guides would be appriciated. :P

Thanks in advance, and I'm probably going to stick around here.  :ok:

#2 a1s

a1s

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 04:27 PM

you should learn python. and whether or not you make a game, learning "to code" is never really a stupid use of time.
Those of you being liberal-art majors � don�t worry, advanced mathematics were largely omitted from this text in concern for your mental health.

QUOTE (Mighty Midget)
if BP has potied on Twilight Zone episode, I will strangle him

secret adept of the PICKALLONWEASEL order

#3 _r.u.s.s.

_r.u.s.s.

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 06:23 PM

:ok:, why python? o_O you want the scare *crapola* out of him as soon as he starts programming?

if you never programmed before, i suggest starting in clear imperative languages..  pascal or delphi are easy for beginners. but then, c++ wouldn't be bad niether i guess.
www.abandonia.com < www.reloaded.org
right now :(

#4 a1s

a1s

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 07:14 PM

yes, sorry, I was confused by the mention of Java and C++. try BASIC or PASCAL.
although Philip says he has no problem coding, which would suggest that he tried before...

P.S. Out of C++, Java, and Python, chose Python. :ok:
Those of you being liberal-art majors � don�t worry, advanced mathematics were largely omitted from this text in concern for your mental health.

QUOTE (Mighty Midget)
if BP has potied on Twilight Zone episode, I will strangle him

secret adept of the PICKALLONWEASEL order

#5 _r.u.s.s.

_r.u.s.s.

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 10:44 PM

he said he has no problem learning coding :ok: (but i bet that if he tried haskel first, he'd never ever want to see a keyboard again)

ps too then, out of c++, java and python i pick multiplatformed java

#6 Philip

Philip

Forum Peon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 03:00 PM

Hehe, I guess I won't start of with python! :ok:
But what languange do you recommend?

and is there somewhere on the web I can start?

#7 _r.u.s.s.

_r.u.s.s.

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 01:06 AM

well since you are going for games, i think you should go with something not very difficult and object oriented, so you can go for example with delphi or c++. but delphi is retarded so just pick the c++

#8 Potatoe

Potatoe

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1487 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 08:17 PM

View PostPhilip, on May 6 2008, 05:26 PM, said:

Greetings all of you! :P

First of all I just found your forum, second of all I was way to fast clicking through the registration, so I registered a user named "peeJAY" on my main mail, but I registered as under 13, if you would just delete the user, as I'm here with this one. :D Thank you

But, now for the main question!

I want to create some games, or atleast a game, I'm not going all crazy saying I'm singlehanded going to create the next World Of Warcraft, my "goal" is to create a game like "I Wanna Be That Guy" not a very beautiful game, but a funny one!
IWBTG is a 2D game, with sprite graphics.

My question goes: Where do I start? I have no problem learning a coding language, but is it stupid to use the time, what do you guys think? I could easily learn "to code," as I have no problem learning, or coding.

But if I should learn a language, which one? Java or is C++ better?
And if not, what program do you think I should use?
And where do I begin, some tutorials and guides would be appriciated. :P

Thanks in advance, and I'm probably going to stick around here.  :ok:
IWBTG is a horrible game... It made me cry. ;-;

Start with either Multimedia Fusion(don't know which version, the latest one, costs like 20 bucks) or Game Maker 7(it's a bit more complicated but fairly simple). Start making games and learn a programming language on the side. When you feel confident enough, move on to your programming language.

Which programming language then?
C++ and C are your best bets, C++ is the industry standard, but it's hard as heck.

Tutorials for C++ are easy find. Just google C++ tutorials.

#9 _r.u.s.s.

_r.u.s.s.

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 10:40 AM

View PostPotatoe, on May 9 2008, 10:17 PM, said:

C++ and C are your best bets, C++ is the industry standard, but it's hard as heck.
whole this sentence is completely wrong =l

and i would rather start in some basic than one of the crappy prepared game makers. the person gets spoiled and then learns the real programming language difficult-ier

#10 Philip

Philip

Forum Peon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 05:24 PM

I guess I'll start off in one of the programs, and then maybe pick up a languange later. :ok: Thanks guys.

#11 Potatoe

Potatoe

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1487 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 10:21 AM

View Post_r.u.s.s., on May 10 2008, 01:40 PM, said:

View PostPotatoe, on May 9 2008, 10:17 PM, said:

whole this sentence is completely wrong =l

and i would rather start in some basic than one of the crappy prepared game makers. the person gets spoiled and then learns the real programming language difficult-ier
C++ is pretty hard. Requires much more work than Python. Also C++ is the industry standard(if we are talking about games), so how is the sentence wrong? Except for the few grammatical errors.

#12 _r.u.s.s.

_r.u.s.s.

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 08:23 PM

C++ is pretty hard. Requires much more work than Python.
no

by 'this sentence is wrong' i mean c++ is not really 'one and godly industry standart' there are plenty of other programming languages used in industry, believe me. for different tasks, different programming languages are appropriate. and seriously no, c++ is not hard at all compared to many other programming languages. it's easy, you just need to learn some rules. and one advantage is that there are plenty of tutorials btw

#13 Blood-Pigggy

Blood-Pigggy

No mo' jibba jabba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1901 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 08:56 PM

http://www.inform-fi...7/Inform 7.html

Ignore the pretentiously retarded text on that page and download this text-based engine.

Even if you don't want to make text-based games it's a good introduction to object based coding since it gives you an incredibly easy programming language that allows you to compare the engine's programming parser directly with the actual code itself.

Very easy to use and shows you the basic mechanics of how most gaming systems work.
Knight of the PICKLEWAESEL order!!1!21
Best Topics Ever: Aywanez Splenda Women PICKLEWESSEL Signs OMG

Reply to this topic