93 replies to this topic

#61 Tulac

Tulac

The Great Red Lemur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1546 posts

Posted 07 May 2006 - 09:26 AM

So there was this band from Slovenia, playing Pink Floyd, and they played pretty good, excellent actually, they had quite a lot of equipment, I don't want to think how much it costs...
So anyway 3 hours of Pink Floyd is :P

DakaSha:if you go into a kindergarden and give all the kids rubber schlongs they will prob just hit each other over the head with them
DakaSha:and you have a class of little kids hitting eachother with rubber dongs which must be quite funny (also Picklweasel knight I am)

#62 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6270 posts

Posted 07 May 2006 - 04:36 PM

There is actually a sort of tribute band playing here in I think a couple weeks, that will be playing Pink Floyd stuff and also another going to be playing Led Zeppelin, friend from work going to see it.

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

#63 Tulac

Tulac

The Great Red Lemur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1546 posts

Posted 07 May 2006 - 05:20 PM

Heh I was just recently on Led Zeppelin tribute too, seems they're popular these days :P

DakaSha:if you go into a kindergarden and give all the kids rubber schlongs they will prob just hit each other over the head with them
DakaSha:and you have a class of little kids hitting eachother with rubber dongs which must be quite funny (also Picklweasel knight I am)

#64 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • 6270 posts

Posted 07 May 2006 - 05:26 PM

Yeah indeed, the other tribute that comes around here a bunch is the queen one and a beatles one that is really popular, had to do think 4 shows cause they were selling out fast.

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

#65 Dvoe

Dvoe

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 07 May 2006 - 06:56 PM

My biggest beef with tribute bands are none of them are any good :P

The Queen tribute band = :P

There was a Priest/Maiden tribute band in town a couple weeks ago and I heard from some aquaintances that it was one of the most atrocious things they ever witnessed. Run to the Hills with death metal vocals??! :P

#66 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • 6270 posts

Posted 07 May 2006 - 07:10 PM

It depends on the band and the style they are trying to emulate from a particular band, some actually do a pretty good job while yeah others are not so great, the beatles one I mentioned apparently is really good, and heard that this one upcoming is going to be good too, so guess it depends on how a tribute band approaches it.

#67 Tulac

Tulac

The Great Red Lemur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1546 posts

Posted 07 May 2006 - 07:20 PM

These guys that did Pink Floyd were pretty damn good, I didn't notice any mostakes myself, and they had all the effects that Pink Floyd used, and that's not that easy to do, Led Zeppelin tribute band sucked though :P

#68 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4277 posts

Posted 27 May 2006 - 09:02 AM

No regrets I went to Kauppatori at Hellsinki last evening. Though I only managed to conquer myself a spot in something like 70m away the stage and I was already at 18:00 there! Bands started playing at 20:00 and show was over at around 21:30. And I drank couple of pints before going there. Not visiting toilet. But enough of my personal problems. Got to say there was superb atmosphere, excellent sound reproduction, taking into account the acousticly terrible conditions and best of all: excellent weather! After people had packed there that cold breeze from sea was blocked and people actually warmed each others, being so close to each others! Closer to 100'000 people there! 2% of whole population! And yeah, new mass karaoke record, though I don't know what will be official number of participants.

Finally, just before Lordi entered the stage, the noise from crowd rose up to a painful level. And then they did enter the stage. And believe it or not, the noise grew even louder! Mrs. President paid visit there congratulating and awarding the band and she too got storm of applause! And then the real show began. Somehow, even though I bet most of the people didn't even know the words, people just sang along even before Hard Rock Hallelujah! At least around where I was standing. But the real sing along began when their megahit "Would You Love a Monsterman" started! Again, the noise was incredible. But nothing compared to HRH! Sun had already set, though still lightening the sky, so the fireworks lost some of their effect, but were still impressive. Finally, after insane applause, whistling, "we want more" shouts and general racket, the band left the area - by sea! I guess there was too huge mass of people to transport them in any other way.

Still best in the concert is left unsaid! The other half of the absolutely best was that there were kids, youngsters, adults and even seniors! The other half: no unrest, violence, nothing - at least in noticeable way! The authorities reported that things went very nice and smoothly. Concert I'll remember rest of my days!

Btw, the arrow's pointing where I was standing (resource pic by YLE, thanks):

Attached Files

...70 years... LOL

#69 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6304 posts

Posted 27 May 2006 - 10:40 AM

It's really funny: as soon as you start talking about Lordi, your grammar becomes increasingly Finnish.:ok:
Glad to hear you had such a great time, though.

"Flippin' immigrants, stealin' our bandwidth etc. etc." - PrejudiceSucks

#70 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 27 May 2006 - 10:43 AM

View PostA. J. Raffles, on May 27 2006, 10:40 AM, said:

It's really funny: as soon as you start talking about Lordi, your grammar becomes increasingly Finnish.:)
Umm... How so? :ok:

Edit: Here's quite good pic from air:

Attached Files

...70 years... LOL

#71 DannyMc252

DannyMc252

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 27 May 2006 - 11:57 AM

*Stants chanting "Fall in the water... Fall in the water..."*
user posted image
Meep?

#72 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • 6270 posts

Posted 27 May 2006 - 04:06 PM

Whoa looks like a good turn out, awesome stuff. :ok:

#73 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 27 May 2006 - 04:17 PM

Oh, forgot to mention: I heard that roads leading from and to upper left corner, South (left) and North (right) Esplanade, were full of crowd to the end and it continues at least 200m further out of pic. Also, by rumours, Senate Square (in the upper right corner) was full of people later in the evening, especially the stairs of church. I'm just thinking have they estimated people on the Market Square, or did they count in the people in nearby areas, like N. and S. Esplanade, Senate Square and sidestreets? If not, the number is way too down! And thinking of it, I don't quite understand how the number could be so small, if Senate Square was crowded and Esplanade Park was crowded to the end. Well, hard to say.
...70 years... LOL

#74 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • 6270 posts

Posted 27 May 2006 - 04:23 PM

Some more vids and info. :ok:

http://www.roadrunne...ewsitemID=52887

#75 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6304 posts

Posted 27 May 2006 - 05:59 PM

View PostDeathDude, on May 27 2006, 05:23 PM, said:

Hmm, not all forums manage to maintain a friendly tone, apparently.:ok:

"Flippin' immigrants, stealin' our bandwidth etc. etc." - PrejudiceSucks