17 replies to this topic

#1 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6270 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 03:11 AM

Feel free to comment and discuss this game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks don't hesitate to share them with the others! Thanks!

Review + download

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

#2 Kluf

Kluf

N00b-a-R00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 04:41 PM

The Monkey Island 2 of the series? That's a surprise.
Well, most consider that game as another adventure classic, but actually, I disliked it the first time I came to around to play it, after I beat the first one already 5 times and the third one, which I also didn't exactly love either. So, I expected something from it that it couldn't fulfill. I don't know what. However, some years later I had some fun with it. It just has a completely different feel than the first one. Most people would have agreed if you had said that about the fourth installment, though, I think it was a nice game, at least at the time playing it. I presume I had no problem with the ridiculuos story.

In the case of Ben Jordan, I actually only came to this second part of the series so far. Didn't play it for long, but I want to play them all the way through. I don't consider it very strong either. :)

#3 Triton

Triton

Daily Denizen

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 05:19 PM

Great.  Another adventure game.  That makes what, 34 now?

#4 Fawfulhasfury

Fawfulhasfury

Daily Denizen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 06:31 PM

the third in the series which will be up on the site soon is probably the best one in the series due to its strength in plot.
Pi stinks, tastes horribles, and I hate it! But cake is good...

#5 Triton

Triton

Daily Denizen

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 07:37 PM

Meh...  I have an ever growing waiting list of really good, mediocre, and pretty bad games.  I think Abandonia Reloaded has enough adventures for the next two years...

#6 MdaG

MdaG

AR-coholic

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 08:17 PM

Triton, on Aug 27 2005, 09:37 PM, said:

Meh...  I have an ever growing waiting list of really good, mediocre, and pretty bad games.  I think Abandonia Reloaded has enough adventures for the next two years...
Here's a list of non-adventure games up for review.
  • Abuse
  • Advanced strategic command
  • Allegience
  • America's army
  • Battle cruiser millenium
  • Blobwars
  • BZFlag
  • Crown and Cutlass
  • Dark Oberon
  • Dungeon Master Java
  • Egoboo
  • Falcon's Eye
  • Gallipoli
  • Globulation 2
  • Heroine Iysayana
  • Jump n Bump
  • Nexuis
  • OnEscapee
  • Paradroidz
  • Secret Maryo Chronicles
  • Torcs
  • Wormux
  • XU 4
Most of our reviewers prefer adventure games (and thus choose to review only those) so it's natural that only adventure games gets on the site. However if we were to find good reviewers that prefer other kinds of games...  :)

#7 CoolBlue-Gord10

CoolBlue-Gord10

N00b-a-R00b

• Producers
  • 43 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 08:26 PM

I didn't like the 2nd game of Ben Jordan series :)
Some puzzles were bad, we were sometimes doing random, unconscious things to solve some puzzles. For example we were putting some dynamites, which we found somewhere, into a safe in a random house; so we would find the formula of the beer which I we wanted to prepare. But we didn't know what was there inside the safe, so we didn't know why we would explode the safe.
Also I didn't like the story and the ambience. Maybe it is just me, but I think that desert town ambience was boring and not interesting.

I think Ben Jordan 3 is the best of the series. Both story and puzzles were really impressive.

#8 Triton

Triton

Daily Denizen

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 10:04 PM

You're missing Enigma and Puzz Power from that list.  Megamek is forthcoming.

#9 MrBackAlleySka

MrBackAlleySka

Daily Denizen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 10:25 PM

Can't wait to see Megamek review. Screenshots alone are a turnoff, but reviews usually sweet me over. Heh, but i'm with ya. Enough adventure games. Though I can see they are fairly easy to make, so I can see why there'd be a lot of freeware ones.

#10 Triton

Triton

Daily Denizen

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 12:19 AM

I can see why they're fairly popular, too: they don't require a lot of thinking, just a good eye to pick out odd pixels and a mind like a thesaurus.

#11 Fawfulhasfury

Fawfulhasfury

Daily Denizen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 01:49 AM

The third one is a lot better as is the fourth. Eagerly awaiting the fifth one. ^^
Pi stinks, tastes horribles, and I hate it! But cake is good...

#12 Triton

Triton

Daily Denizen

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 04:13 AM

This site should be renamed Abandonia Adventures because of all the adventure games.  What does Abandonia Reloaded mean, anyway?  Why "Reloaded?"

#13 PrejudiceSucks

PrejudiceSucks

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1865 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 09:06 AM

Because it's the new one, you simple-minded fool.

#14 BeefontheBone

BeefontheBone

Self-titling Egotist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2953 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 10:25 AM

This thread is for discussing this particualr game, not the fact that you don't like adventure games. If you want to see more non-adventures on the site, then get on with finding, reviewing and screenshotting them instead of moaning.
[center]
QUOTE (gregor)
also consider this - the turkey *male genital*ula is called little asia on some geographical maps maps.

I'm your solar-powered princess/Your technological soulmate.

#15 Triton

Triton

Daily Denizen

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 03:25 PM

I've lost count of all the games I've reviewed that are still awaiting update.  And who are you to boss me around?  Just the resident Abandonia suck-up and grammar god.  I lost VIP status (which itself is just a load of crap, so I don't miss it anyway) because I, a simple peasent, dared challenge your divine corrections of one of my reviews.

Reply to this topic