What's Your Preferred OS?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

Poll: What's your preferred Operating System?

What's your preferred Operating System?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 MdaG

MdaG

AR-coholic

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 08:22 PM

I'm thinking about writing some guides in the future about getting certain games to run on the Linux kernel, but I need to see how many users we have that actually uses operating systems other than Windows. So vote and let the numbers speak for themselves.

*edit*
If anyone's interested I run both XP and Gentoo. XP for games and Gentoo for work  :)

#2 Kon-Tiki

Kon-Tiki

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 08:27 PM

Win98SE, as it supports both Windows and Dos, and doesn't have resource hogs, like a sniffing dog when doing searches (not to mention searching your HD's still intuitive), bars on the Start-bar that slide to the left when you close something or rounded edges so nobody'd get hurt on them, and it does everything I need a comp to do, plus some crashes (but that's more due to my graph card) and some weird-*** stuff to my Ram when starting up (From my 256Mb Ram, after starting up, I tend to have between 47% and 57% free, after a clean bootup, with only minimal programs loaded, while it should've been 87%)

#3 Flop

Flop

Aspiring Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1318 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 08:30 PM

As much as loathe Microsoft, I voted windows. I use xp, and I have to say that it's the best OS I've tried so far. Well, I liked DOS better, back in the day, and I handled it better than I handle xp, but I don't think anyone would seriously consider running DOS on a computer for anything other than retro gaming.
Furthermore, it is my opinion that Carthage must be destroyed.

#4 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6270 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 08:31 PM

My choice too would be Windows 98 SE as well, just a good overall windows that have been using and still enjoying the odd crash here and there but whatever no biggie imo.

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

#5 DannyMc252

DannyMc252

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 08:49 PM

now Win98SE with some of the better parts of XP.. THAT would be kickass..
with the stability of Linux, too..
user posted image
Meep?

#6 BeefontheBone

BeefontheBone

Self-titling Egotist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2953 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 09:44 PM

Doh! voted Linux then noticed the last one - when I eventually get it sorted I'll be dual booting Debian and XP (mainly XP, although there's a fair chance I'll find myself using Debian more often as I get used to it).
[center]
QUOTE (gregor)
also consider this - the turkey *male genital*ula is called little asia on some geographical maps maps.

I'm your solar-powered princess/Your technological soulmate.

#7 MdaG

MdaG

AR-coholic

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 09:47 PM

BeefontheBone, on Aug 17 2005, 11:44 PM, said:

Doh! voted Linux then noticed the last one - when I eventually get it sorted I'll be dual booting Debian and XP (mainly XP, although there's a fair chance I'll find myself using Debian more often as I get used to it).
That's what happened to me. I started playing with Gentoo to learn the basics for future projects at the university. I've ended up using Gentoo for all tasks except commercial games.

#8 Himmler

Himmler

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 12:17 AM

WinME just because i use it...although i would prefer to use linux...

#9 Tulac

Tulac

The Great Red Lemur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1546 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 07:03 AM

Windows 2000, because it's relatively stable...

DakaSha:if you go into a kindergarden and give all the kids rubber schlongs they will prob just hit each other over the head with them
DakaSha:and you have a class of little kids hitting eachother with rubber dongs which must be quite funny (also Picklweasel knight I am)

#10 Abi79

Abi79

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 07:19 AM

I use Win98SE. It works well on my poor old computer (PII 266, 2 MB S3 Trio and a 8 MB VooDoo 2). It crashes sometimes, but that's a small price to pay because it's got DOS and can run old games without DOSBox. :) ;)
IPB Image

#11 Doubler

Doubler

A regular Llama

• Admin
  • 2740 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 10:11 AM

I've got a dual boot with both Win98 and WinXP.
Mainly because I need XP to get my network (and my internet for that matter) functioning.

Wonderfull sig and avvie by Taikara :D

#12 PrejudiceSucks

PrejudiceSucks

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1865 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 10:34 AM

I picked Windows because XP is fine and to be honest, if I want DOS games then I'll use D-Fend and be done with it.

#13 Doc Adrian

Doc Adrian

Member Munchkin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 12:58 PM

I use Windows..mainly because thats all I have had on my computer since the commodore.  Not really a microsoft fan, but I don't know how to play games on another system Operation
IPB Image
another great Signature and Avatar by Taikara -Thanks Tai

#14 MdaG

MdaG

AR-coholic

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 12:33 PM

I just switched from Gentoo to Ubuntu and I have to say I'm impressed. If anyone is interested in Linux and want to try a distribution out I recommend Ubuntu. It autodetected everything! Maybe it's too similar to Windows in some aspects, but it's customizable so I'm happy. Now let's just see how it functions as a "work system".

Here's a screenie of my current setup. It's not as flashy as my old Gentoo system, but I haven't learned all the ins and outs yet  :)

Attached Files

#15 DannyMc252

DannyMc252

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 09:16 PM

ARGH! IE 7 will hav tabbed browsing. I saw a screenshot of it. I am hella sticking with firefox.
the ugliness! THE UGLINESS!
My dad and my cousin's fiancee were both like 'Ugh..'
user posted image
Meep?