7 replies to this topic

#1 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6270 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 02:18 PM

Feel free to comment and discuss this game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks don't hesitate to share them with the others! Thanks!

Review + download

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

#2 Fawfulhasfury

Fawfulhasfury

Daily Denizen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 03:32 PM

So far this game is quite good, and much better than the review says, but I am wondering, how do you save?
Pi stinks, tastes horribles, and I hate it! But cake is good...

#3 MdaG

MdaG

AR-coholic

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 04:16 PM

Fawfulhasfury, on Aug 15 2005, 05:32 PM, said:

So far this game is quite good, and much better than the review says, but I am wondering, how do you save?
Glad you like the game, I almost felt bad giving my honest opinion about the game. There is a star in the upper left corner, that's the options menu...

#4 Fawfulhasfury

Fawfulhasfury

Daily Denizen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 07:25 PM

Yeh, I really really like this game. For one thing I am a big fan of slent movies, and this game seems almost to be a color silent movie, so you can guess I like it a lot. Also, so far I have been able to get all of the jokes, so I have not found out how any of them could be hard to understand. But then agagin it is your opinion. :) Another thing, I have noticed a couple of bad animations. Mainly the one where the poet is throwing up over the side of the boat. As far as the story, it is quite good, and i like it a lot. Also, the story makes it perfectly clear why you need to get the eye. It mentions that the cult who took the eye want to use the kraken to rule the seas. Didn't know if youy had noticed that. I give the game a 4.5 as far as my opinion. It would be a 5 but I agree on the unprofessional animations. ;) anyway, thanks. I would have nvr found the save cause on my screen, which is flat screen, most games tend to go a bit off the screen, so I couldn't see the icon. ;)

#5 MdaG

MdaG

AR-coholic

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 07:56 PM

Yeah, I did get the cult thing. But I meant that the story didn't convince  me (not that it was hard to understand) or make me care about "saving the world". Not like other freeware adventures have. 5 days a strangers is an excellent example of a freebie adventure that made me WANT to solve the puzzles. But as I said, it's not everyone's cup of tea  ;)

Hmm about the flat screen. I've got a flat LCD (wide)screen and I have no problem seeing the star in the corner...  :)

Funny thing you mentioned silent movies. I also drew a parallel to old "chaplin" movies, but I considered it a bad thing, hehe.  ;)

#6 Fawfulhasfury

Fawfulhasfury

Daily Denizen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 08:14 PM

What are you tlaking bout. I loved the chapliun movies. :) I consider silent movies a good thing and unique, so I can't agree that was a good idea of yours there. ;)

#7 Lulujane

Lulujane

Forum Peon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 05:43 PM

I loved this game -
Especially the 'old' noir-esque, silent-movie-type style and the characters from various points in history and literature.
However, I thought that they could have gone further with what they started, for example, the idea of Ophelia (from Hamlet) as a character, there's so much scope for a really memorable n.p.character there! And Rasputin! God, don't get me started! You see, I sort of got the feeling like they were going to go 'all the way' with the characters (and then by default, the story,) but that for some reason it got scaled back somehow - Perhaps for the sake of conforming to a traditional/business orientated idea of a saleable adventure game - after all, this was a commercial release for a brief period prior to settling down and re-loading on Abandonia.  Or maybe they lost their nerve a few months before release? (Who knows?  :) )
In a way, this game, although not as polished, kind of reminded me of those old 'greats' (be they sierra or lucas arts - depending on which camp you hail from) back in the day, when there seemed to be much more creative freedom for developing an adventure (perhaps because those games/ideas/stroies had not yet become archtypes of the genre - after all, trying to convince a corporate accountant that a Ramond Chandler-esque dog and rabbit team, or a balding loser in a white-man-made-fiber suit trying to get laid, are sure fire bets for the christmas consumer dollar was probably hard enough 10-15 years ago, it must be near-impossible now!)....
So I guess what I'm trying to say is this -
I very much liked this game, but what I really liked about it was that it showed me that the spirit of original and oddly offbeat characters and storlines in point and click adventures has not disappeared. I got the impression that this was a game of "almost-but-not-quite" potential - But thank God that that kind of creative spirit is still around! And actually, if I'm really honest with myself, the best thing that I got out of  playing the "Eye Of The Kraken," was the opportunity to look at the next game that Absurdus will be releasing, "Carte Blanche." (check out their website ;) ) - a black'n'white 1920's Montreal mob-type-bob-haired-toe-tapping-flapper-something-or-rather-romp. Anyhow, in Absurdus's own words -

Since reality is often stranger than fiction, we give Carte Blanche to the player to reinterpret the Roaring Twenties in his own way, stomping on old cigarette butts as well as his childhood?s lost innocence in the process.

If my gut is telling me the right thing (and I do so hope that it is ;) ) -  these guys aren't content to rest on prior efforts, so their  bits and pieces can only get better and better  ;)

#8 catchaserguns

catchaserguns

Member Munchkin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 01:31 AM

I love this game. i found it very hard without a walkthrough. I hope the Authers make more games.

Reply to this topic