16 replies to this topic

#1 MdaG

MdaG

AR-coholic

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 11:37 AM

I propose we have a section for game engines or at least make a sticky with game engine links. Anything from RPGmaker and AGS to 3D engines etc. Since this is a freeware community we should encourage and provide links to tools to encourage future developers. Any thoughts on that? I could provide some links and such.

*edit*
Here are some links. Some of these have short learning curve while other demands that the user knows C++ etc.
  • AGS - Engine for making 3rd person point and click adventures like Monkey Island.
  • RPG Maker 2000 - Engine for creating simple (Final Fantasy clones?) RPGs.
  • RPG Maker 2003 - Engine for creating more advanced RPGs than RPG Maker 2000.
  • Ianout - Engine for making Fallout clones
  • IrrAdventure - Engine for making Myst clones
  • OGRE - 3D graphics and physics library suitable for RPGs, adventures etc.
  • ErisMUD - A MUD engine
  • J.U.R.P.E - A dungeon crawler engine
  • Worldforge - Engine for 3D games.
  • Panda3D - Another 3D engine (claims to have a short learning curve)
  • OpenGL - A great 3D graphics library
  • SDL - A multimedia library
  • ZClassic - Engine/Editor for making Zelda clones
There are probably a lot more of them out there, but this is a start. I haven't tried any of them out. Some of them are still being developed and will probably be of much more use to most in due time. Judging by the screenshots I'd have to say that OGRE looks real good. And of course SDL and OpenGL are already used among the developers  :)

#2 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6304 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 11:46 AM

I think that's what the "Newbie Questions/Guidelines" forum was originally intended for, but apparently nobody likes to be called a newbie, so nobody ever goes there... :)

"Flippin' immigrants, stealin' our bandwidth etc. etc." - PrejudiceSucks

#3 Tom Henrik

Tom Henrik

Funktastic Pimptabulous

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2784 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 11:48 AM

I think it is a good idea. Both of them.

We could create a pinned topic with engines, and rename the forum to something like "The beginners Guide to Freeware" or something like that.

Yo!

#4 Himmler

Himmler

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 12:59 PM

worldforge looks nice...too bad it doesn't have antialiasing

#5 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6270 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 01:19 PM

Yeah I agree it's a good idea to do and those are some interesting engines to be used and shown to users interested in that sort of thing.

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

#6 MdaG

MdaG

AR-coholic

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 01:33 PM

I think this section should have more space that a mere topic in the forum. I suggest it get its own link on the main page. That and some general information about each library/engine. What it could be used for and such. That will make it a lot easier to find for people that are just browsing and will make it serve its purpose as a source of inspiration and encouragement. I'm sure there are future developers out there just waiting to get a push in the right direction.  :)

#7 Kon-Tiki

Kon-Tiki

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts

Posted 06 August 2005 - 01:20 AM

I've been trying to get NAGI and Sarien on the site next to DosBox for quite a while now, but nobody listened :)

#8 taikara

taikara

Tai-Fu Mastah

• Members
  • 2389 posts

Posted 06 August 2005 - 02:14 AM

We listened, Tiki, but we need a review for utilities we put on the site as we would for a game.... or haven't you actually looked at the DOSBox page?  :)

Since you have the most experience with NAGI and Sarien, perhaps you could take care of that?
..<[[[Tofu Ninja of the Pickasldawessle Order]]]>..
QUOTE (Tai - in response to DD on how people who fear change are like cats)
you mean the "you moved my litterbox, so I'm going to pee in your clothes hamper" attitude?
Yes, I just quoted myself. ph34r my T4i-F00!!.
doodoodoo!!!

#9 Kon-Tiki

Kon-Tiki

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts

Posted 06 August 2005 - 02:17 AM

I haven't actually looked at the DosBox page :) Actually, I've been asking for it on AB too, before AR even was thought of. Never heard 'bout a review up till now. Will get to work on it tomorrow ;) ('t Is a bit late today, and my head's not set for it ;) )

#10 DakaSha

DakaSha

Happy Little Tree-hugger

• Banned
  • 2013 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 04:44 PM

great topic... ive been wanting to design games since im a kid... problem is i cant code so bleh...

i dont like using the programs though beause they force me to design a game the way they intended it.

Posted Image
For all you artists here... and we have enough. Please draw me something :D Click Here. If possible include your nick. A simple Test. dunno of the PICKLEWAESEL order!!1!2

#11 MdaG

MdaG

AR-coholic

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 04:48 PM

DakaSha, on Aug 10 2005, 06:44 PM, said:

great topic... ive been wanting to design games since im a kid... problem is i cant code so bleh...

i dont like using the programs though beause they force me to design a game the way they intended it.
Then learn C++ or even Java. It's not that hard, you only need time.

#12 DakaSha

DakaSha

Happy Little Tree-hugger

• Banned
  • 2013 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 04:53 PM

yeah i started with pascal and visual basic to get the feeling for it and it isnt as hard as one would think but:

1. im to lazy to tell ya the truth
2. i really want to concentrate on just the design... so im hoping that my friend learns to program a little better and will be my slave :) (he will hes just not good enough yet). i really think "my" games would turn out better if i didnt have to mess around with all that dang code.

but to those who dont care about using the programs... do it! itd be cool to see some games made by people that visit reloaded.

Posted Image
For all you artists here... and we have enough. Please draw me something :D Click Here. If possible include your nick. A simple Test. dunno of the PICKLEWAESEL order!!1!2

#13 Kon-Tiki

Kon-Tiki

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 04:57 PM

Just noticed SDL in there... That's not exactly a game engine, but a programming library. If we'd put that there, we'd have to put Irrlicht, Allegro, GTK, OpenGL, DirectX and whatever other such libraries that're out there up too, which's beyond what AR's purposes.

#14 Stroggy

Stroggy

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 05:31 PM

Didn't catch this one in the original list: Adventuremaker
Allows the user to create myst-like games (first person adventuregames) but also allows for regular adventuregames. The latest version also allows 360° panoramic views.

#15 MdaG

MdaG

AR-coholic

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 06:04 PM

Kon-Tiki, on Aug 10 2005, 06:57 PM, said:

Just noticed SDL in there... That's not exactly a game engine, but a programming library. If we'd put that there, we'd have to put Irrlicht, Allegro, GTK, OpenGL, DirectX and whatever other such libraries that're out there up too, which's beyond what AR's purposes.
Yeah I know about SDL being a library, but I thought that it's common enough to be mentioned as an example. What is the purpose of AR if not to promote freeware games? I think it goes hand in hand with helping people get the tools to create the games. The libraries you listed should with all right also be listed, but I think there should be a special place for this, not just this "boring" thread. That said I won't add anymore to the list at the top, but I think we should collect them all and create a section on the site for them including descriptions about what they are and what they can do. Or is this only a site that reviews freeware games? If so we'll be just one freeware site among others. That's not bad, but as this is the "suggestion thread"  :)

This way this site will be of interest for developers of all "skill levels"  ;)

Reply to this topic