#1 Teasy

Teasy

N00b-a-R00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 02:39 PM

Hi!

Here's a game I'm working on where I'm trying to focus only on the fun of creating and playing.
It's called Robotix and it's a 2D multi-directional/platform/flight space (robot) shooter including a number of vehicles, each with its own set of weapons.

There's a variety of missions (with storyline!), but mostly all focussed on blasting anything that can be blasted Posted Image
Including enemies, structures, bases.. and ofcourse goodies for your vehicle's pleasure.

Let me know if you have as much fun playing this game as I have!

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Links:
- Robotix website
- Download: Full episode 1
- Download: Index: Grab the latest (Windows) version (highest letter/number).
- Screenshots index

2011-01-14:
- Converted HTML to BBCODE
- Updated link to newest version

Edited by Teasy, 14 January 2011 - 12:18 AM.

#2 greywolf

greywolf

The Wanderer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 06:56 PM

Cool! I'll be sure to check it out when I get home from work. Is it still in development? (Because it looks like it is) If it is, then we'll probably wait until the final version is out before reviewing it (mostly because the score would reflect its incompleteness. :) )

#3 Teasy

Teasy

N00b-a-R00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 07:18 PM

A review!  Wow, man Posted Image
Yes, it's not finished yet.  But it's not very far from finishing either.
It's also very ready to be played and to have a lot fun, though Posted Image
But I'll post here every time there's an update.
I do agree that a review on the finished thingy will be better :)

#4 Teasy

Teasy

N00b-a-R00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 11:41 AM

For those of you who think the game is too slow, I've added Fast and Turbo modes - Press F4 to change it! Posted Image

Lots of other improvements and additions as well, like additional levels, sounds, music, new special graphics tricks to make the game run faster on slower machines as well, explosive rockets, twin cannon, controllable rockets, optional fullscreen/windowed mode, etc Posted Image

Direct download: robotix.1o2.zip

#5 greywolf

greywolf

The Wanderer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 11:42 PM

Well, sorry for not getting back to you sooner, but work+life makes issues if you know what I mean. :P

First of all, you've got an excellent engine. It works exactly like it should, and the level designs have reflected this as well. It's loads of fun to blow up a whole block of engines/turrets and watch the sparks fly (I love those particle effects!). :P I'd say you keep going this way, you'd have a winner on your hands. In fact, if you bundled it with a map maker for players to make their own maps, you could have other people making their own campaigns and stuff as well.

I have only two gripe, one of which deals with how the missions are set up. Right now (I've only gotten to level 4, so correct me if it's different later on), I've only seen one kind of ship (besides the walking form), one kind of gun (albeit with one rapid-fire upgrade), and have the same set of objectives every time: kill everything. This makes for somewhat monotonous play, which could be remedied with new, different objectives, boss battles, more emphasis on the walking form (equipped with a jump capability and perhaps a gun), to name a few ideas. Don't get me wrong, blowing stuff up is fun, but it gets grinding after a while. The second is with knowing where to go sometimes. On the first mission, it took me around 10 minutes to finally find the gun; maybe I'm just being stupid, but an arrow pointing me to my next objective would have been really handy. It would also help to find the last few generators and turrets that have been hiding around the huge ship.

I have to say, this is a great game. Finding the weak spots of ships, blowing them up to create chain reactions, and finally shooting through the holes that the explosions made to get to the reactors is what really makes this fun. Include more puzzle-ish solutions to destroying the generators (which would have great potential when combined with the walking mode, by the way), possibly add an arrow pointing to the next (or closest) objective, and add varied mission objectives and situations for engrossing gameplay, and you've got it made.

Good job so far, and I look forward to the next release! :)

#6 Teasy

Teasy

N00b-a-R00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 12:30 PM

View Postgreywolf, on Apr 8 2007, 01:42 AM, said:

Well, sorry for not getting back to you sooner, but work+life makes issues if you know what I mean. :drunk:
Don't worry.  I'm not in a hurry.  Add some curry, to make it less blurry.

But.. Whoa, man, you're a real mind reader! Posted Image
In fact, the level editor has been inside the game for a while now, albeit not mentioned in the readme since the game is still beta.  It is mentioned, however, when you complete the game at the moment Posted Image

Right now (I've only gotten to level 4, so correct me if it's different later on), I've only seen one kind of ship (besides the walking form), one kind of gun (albeit with one rapid-fire upgrade), and have the same set of objectives every time: kill everything. This makes for somewhat monotonous play, which could be remedied with new, different objectives, boss battles, more emphasis on the walking form (equipped with a jump capability and perhaps a gun), to name a few ideas.
Yes, actually, level 5 has a new ship :P

And for example, level 7 does not have the 'destroy everything' objective, even though you need to destroy most things to clear a path Posted Image  It also has remotely controlled rockets and a twin cannon.  But there are more weapons later on.  Currently there are 4 weapon systems: Turret (low & high velocity), Twin Turret (low & high velocity), Salvo Turret (low & high velocity) and Rocket Launcher (straight & controllable).  I'm not 100% certain about all of the new weapons yet, but these are on the list: Block Buster, Star Blaster, Beam Ray, Minigun and Lazer.

At the moment there are 8 levels containing 3 vehicles: Walker, Lander and Glider.  Another vehicle called the Aviator is already implemented, but not available until level 9 (which isn't ready yet).  The walking form you mention I have exploited in the way of a Jumper, which does exactly what it implies Posted Image  I have 2 more vehicles in mind: Blaster and Bloque.

The first of a number of re-occuring large enemies will appear in level 10 in a combat arena.

Don't get me wrong, blowing stuff up is fun, but it gets grinding after a while.
Yep, I hear ya ;)
Have you tried the Fast or Turbo game speeds? (Press F4 in game)

The second is with knowing where to go sometimes. On the first mission, it took me around 10 minutes to finally find the gun; maybe I'm just being stupid, but an arrow pointing me to my next objective would have been really handy. It would also help to find the last few generators and turrets that have been hiding around the huge ship.
Yes, it seems I'm an exploration lover -- "Hey!  What's under this brick?" :party:
I've been thinking about adding a minimap, so it's easier getting around the map, and spotting targets more easily.  Even my space exploration game uses a minimap, but I wasn't sure if the exploration in this game would turn into agitation instead :band:

Include more puzzle-ish solutions to destroying the generators (which would have great potential when combined with the walking mode, by the way), possibly add an arrow pointing to the next (or closest) objective, and add varied mission objectives and situations for engrossing gameplay, and you've got it made.
Again, you are spot on!  Level 7 has such a puzzle construct which requires some intelligence to get around :D
A level with large diversity is planned somewhere after Level 10, where you switch a lot between vehicles to get to each part of the enemy complex.
Which would you favor; a minimap or an objective arrow?  Or perhaps both.

Thanks a lot for your great comments, man! Posted Image

Also, I've uploaded another new version (direct link) which fixes a timing problem when changing a lot between Normal, Fast and Turbo modes.

#7 greywolf

greywolf

The Wanderer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 02:18 PM

My pleasure. ;) It's good to see that you've already forseen practically all the problems I mentioned and fixed them (or have made plans to fix them).

I'd appreciate it if you would post when version 1.0 comes out, so that we can stick it on our list of games to do. :P

#8 Teasy

Teasy

N00b-a-R00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 01:49 PM

View Postgreywolf, on Apr 27 2007, 04:18 PM, said:

I'd appreciate it if you would post when version 1.0 comes out, so that we can stick it on our list of games to do. :shrug:
Roger that! Posted Image

For those of you who like this game, or are unaware of its existence, a new version is available! Posted Image
You can grab it via the Robotix page or download it directly: Linky.

Here are some of the new things included:
- New content/media
- New enemy behavior
- New HUD features:
  - Mini map (F6) to easily identify enemies, friendlies, bases, generators and to find your way around the environments.
  - Nearest target information (F7, Shift) which you can use to find the nearest enemy, base, generator or pickup.
  - Customizable enemy/time statistics (F8, Tab); on demand or automatic.
  - Customizable health information (F9) to maximize your view on the action.
- Command line options for fullscreen/window and direct mouse positioning.
- And much more..!

Here's a fresh snapshot:
Posted Image
More screenshots

#9 Potatoe

Potatoe

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1487 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 10:27 AM

Still looks awsome. I'll take a look at it when I'm done with ADoM.

#10 Teasy

Teasy

N00b-a-R00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 10:04 AM

Thanks, man :ok:
Ahh, the good'ol Ancient Domains of Mystery :shrug:

#11 Potatoe

Potatoe

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1487 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 05:14 PM

Action packed with huge explosions and good playability. Is this the finished game? If not, when will we expect to see the finished product? (This year?)

#12 Teasy

Teasy

N00b-a-R00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 08:51 PM

Hey, thanks for trying it out! Posted Image

Well, this is my first game where I actually haven't set a deadline.
And it seems to work a lot better that way Posted Image

One idea I had was to create multiple episodes, e.g. 10 levels for each episode..
Levels 9, 10 and 11 are already underway, and I have levels 12, 13 and 14 also already planned.
But I could also just stop at 14 if that feels right :shrug:

I can't really say when it will all be ready, although any updates will be posted here :ok:
So at this point this is still a beta version, but very similar and probably almost identical to the final product.
Lacking only additional levels and their interesting new features and components.

I'd be very curious though, if you, or anyone else, manages to reach level 8! Posted Image

#13 Teasy

Teasy

N00b-a-R00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 06:17 PM

The full episode 1 version is complete! Posted Image
You can grab it via the links above or here.
Have fun and tell me what you think!

#14 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4277 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 06:50 AM

Great to see that people keep on their projects. Half year later you suddenly come back remembering us, thx. Progress may be slow, but it's never necessarily bad thing, if it's steady. :rolleyes:
...70 years... LOL

#15 Teasy

Teasy

N00b-a-R00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 12:22 AM

Hi!

I've released a new version with various improvements,
and I've created some demonstration movies for your viewing pleasure :thumbsup:
I've embedded them at the top of the: Robotix website.
I've also updated the download link at the top.

If this game appeals to you,
I'd love to hear about your game experience :)

Juni Ori:
Thanks for your warm comment :)
I enjoyed reading it back in 2008 ^^