18 replies to this topic

#1 Nace

Nace

Daily Denizen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 12:31 AM

....the are the cure for nostalgic gamers. Nintendo, Sega-Mega (Sega Genesis), Gameboy, etc.

You can put emulators here, on the site, or maybe create a new one called Abandonia Emuilators or something....

It will be fun. I would love to help too :D allthough I`m not exactly a programming freak, but I can do stuff :huh: :bleh:

#2 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6270 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 12:33 AM

Well those particular emulators are pretty merky in terms of legality I believe, plus it does lead to an illegal activity, so don't think AR will be having those sorts of emulators anytime soon.

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

#3 Japofran

Japofran

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 01:57 AM

I don't know about the emulators, I think they are perfectly legal, but the roms aren't --although I don't know how different their status is from games abandonware included--, and Abandonia Emulonia without roms would pretty much be losing the whole point, wouldn't it.
..oO Mustached Crusader of the PEEKOCKSWOOZZLE Order Oo..
"STFU and show me your screenies!!"

#4 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4277 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 11:02 AM

I think Japo has excellent point and I was immediately thinking the same way.
...70 years... LOL

#5 DakaSha

DakaSha

Happy Little Tree-hugger

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2013 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 02:24 PM

im still waiting for emulonia to be created (with me as an admin of course :bleh: )

Posted Image
For all you artists here... and we have enough. Please draw me something :D Click Here. If possible include your nick. A simple Test. dunno of the PICKLEWAESEL order!!1!2

#6 RyGuy

RyGuy

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 04:17 PM

If you guys find out about the ROMS I could scavenge for the ones that are legal because I'm rather familiar with them, if AE ever happened that is. :bleh:
IPB Image

#7 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • 6270 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 04:29 PM

I don't think there is many legal roms anyway, the whole rom idea is pretty illegal and that's one area that the ESA definitely cracks down on, with rogue sites that use games from ESA members like Mario and Nintendo for example. Plus now with the whole virtual console idea on the wii, they might end up cracking down even more, since now there is a way to get the old games, and can't use the excuse well can't find them.

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

#8 Potatoe

Potatoe

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1487 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 01:27 AM

I think it'll just be safer to not have an emulonia, as DD already said in a different fashion that it's pretty quirky business. Let's just patiently wait for the Wii to come out and then you can buy some old NES, SNES and N64 games.

#9 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • 6270 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 04:31 AM

Also Sega Genesis and Turbografix 16 games as well. :bleh: Plus that could just be the beginning, we could end up seeing more systems and more roms appearing as well, depending on the reaction wouldn't be surprised if this is just the beginning.

#10 RyGuy

RyGuy

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 04:54 PM

Well I know they can put just about anything on a console. My cousin had his Xbox modified with an OS so he can run games from just about anything, and save them right onto his Xbox. I'm not saying it was legal, I'm just saying it could be done.
IPB Image

#11 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • 6270 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 05:57 PM

Course there will always be something like that, someone will always do something of that nature, it's just the way life goes, but the thing is now that with the wii that there is this avenue that you can use to get games legally, I imagine the ESA will start cracking down on emulator/rom sites more and more, especially the ones that don't comply or the very least depending on company pressure as well.

#12 Nace

Nace

Daily Denizen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 06:00 PM

What is a "Wii"  :bleh:

#13 Tulac

Tulac

The Great Red Lemur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1546 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 06:18 PM

It's the latest hype from Nintendu, now just wait to be incenerated from Nintendu fanboys.

DakaSha:if you go into a kindergarden and give all the kids rubber schlongs they will prob just hit each other over the head with them
DakaSha:and you have a class of little kids hitting eachother with rubber dongs which must be quite funny (also Picklweasel knight I am)

#14 Japofran

Japofran

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 07:07 PM

The point is that Kosta/Abandonia is "the most ligal illigal" --or something like that in Titan's words-- games download stuff on the Net. So this is most likely not going to be done by Kosta, and so hopefully nobody will do it stealing the name Abandonia. It could be done with legal roms alone, but it wouldn't be worth it, there's a ridiculous amount of them.

Does anybody know the difference between abandonware and console roms? My guess is that ALL console firms (Nintendo and Sega and) stand today, while many PC gaming firms such as Microprose don't exist any longer and so their copyrights are "abandonware" albeit legally in place. If that's the case, what about the Basic computers like Commodore, etc.?
..oO Mustached Crusader of the PEEKOCKSWOOZZLE Order Oo..
"STFU and show me your screenies!!"

#15 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • 6270 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 07:47 PM

I believe that console roms/abandonware sort of fall into the same categories at least in terms of their properties and what the ESA protects, I'm not sure of a particular rule that says so and so rom has to be not sold for say 10 years. Some people in the industry say that for console roms, that the copyright lasts 75 years before they would be considered legal.

Reply to this topic