AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 07:53 AM

Motivation:

Currently the thread has a huge amount of posts and characters in it,
when having a own forum people can make their own thread about their character
and lists of things to do(when to go to where) can be pinned.

Suggested moderator:
A.J.Raffles

#2 Tulac

Tulac

The Great Red Lemur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1546 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 08:02 AM

Good idea seeing that ADoM has almost half of the game discussion posts...

DakaSha:if you go into a kindergarden and give all the kids rubber schlongs they will prob just hit each other over the head with them
DakaSha:and you have a class of little kids hitting eachother with rubber dongs which must be quite funny (also Picklweasel knight I am)

#3 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6304 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 08:12 AM

Well, I'd be fine with moderating an ADOM forum, but I believe the original idea was to get the makers themselves involved in the forums (as with Joker and the rather inactive Enclosure forum). But that never really seemed to catch on...:ok:

"Flippin' immigrants, stealin' our bandwidth etc. etc." - PrejudiceSucks

#4 Qbix

Qbix

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 08:24 AM

I'm aware of the idea that the makers would moderate it,.but ADOM could be an exception as
it's popularity is much larger when compared to the other games here on reloaded.

#5 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6304 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 08:50 AM

I can't decide this, really, but I've made a post about it in the admin forum.

#6 Frodo

Frodo

Your neck looks very... tasty!

• Admin
  • 9533 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 12:59 PM

Has anyone contacted the maker, to suggest that he moderates a forum for ADOM?  

:ok:
Please click on my dragons to help them grow -    Posted Image   Posted Image   Posted Image

#7 DakaSha

DakaSha

Happy Little Tree-hugger

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2013 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 01:07 PM

i doubt biskup has the time.. or even wants to to tell you the truth :ok:

Posted Image
For all you artists here... and we have enough. Please draw me something :D Click Here. If possible include your nick. A simple Test. dunno of the PICKLEWAESEL order!!1!2

#8 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6304 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 01:35 PM

View PostDakaSha, on Jun 1 2006, 02:07 PM, said:

i doubt biskup has the time.. or even wants to to tell you the truth :ok:
Yes, he seems a bit tired of his ADOM groupies. Can't blame him, really...

#9 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • 6270 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 02:55 PM

Be an interesting idea since it the most popular game thread we have.

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

#10 taikara

taikara

Tai-Fu Mastah

• Members
  • 2389 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 04:04 PM

I wouldn't say that ADOM is so much more hugely "popular" than any other game on our site, just mainly that there tends to be a small group of highly devoted players (4-6 at any given time) that constantly post in the thread.

Also, if a person made a thread for every character they made on ADOM, I personally think it would be even worse to keep track of than occasionally posting a character in one thread. In ADOM, posting character info is the mutable equivalent to asking for help when you're stuck in an adventure game. How well you play your character determines how far you get.

It just happens to be that you can create a hundred or more characters in a day in ADOM (if you have really bad luck, or just aren't that great at playing). And the situation of the game constantly changes, while most of the challenges in regular games don't change. Character life tends to be short, so we'd basically end up with a bunch of one, maybe two page threads on a billion different characters.

I tend to be hesitant to this idea, it doesn't seem incredibly necessary at this point (any more so than creating a subforum for UFO:EU on AB, anyway), and if it didn't work out, it would be a huge pain to clean up (even more than it would be to implement it). We are discussing it, though, and I have some possible compromises in mind.
..<[[[Tofu Ninja of the Pickasldawessle Order]]]>..
QUOTE (Tai - in response to DD on how people who fear change are like cats)
you mean the "you moved my litterbox, so I'm going to pee in your clothes hamper" attitude?
Yes, I just quoted myself. ph34r my T4i-F00!!.
doodoodoo!!!

#11 Qbix

Qbix

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 08:08 PM

View Posttaikara, on Jun 1 2006, 06:04 PM, said:

I wouldn't say that ADOM is so much more hugely "popular" than any other game on our site, just mainly that there tends to be a small group of highly devoted players (4-6 at any given time) that constantly post in the thread.

1572 replies in the adom thread 3838 in total. I don't know what you woud be a better count then the amount of replies.  Even 4-6 players at any given time is more then the other games on the site.
(in active discussions about a game)

Also, if a person made a thread for every character they made on ADOM, I personally think it would be even worse to keep track of than occasionally posting a character in one thread.
It would allow the possiblity to ignore a post. Now I can't distinguish between a character post or a great in depth comment about the game. Everything is just one red dot (new post!)

Discussions get messed up by character posts. Character help is messed up with newbies asking the obvious.

I tend to be hesitant to this idea, it doesn't seem incredibly necessary at this point (any more so than creating a subforum for UFO:EU on AB, anyway),
As far as I know AB and AR aren't related forum wise. So the comparisson with the UFO thread doesn't really have a firm gorund. But for the sake of comparing the 2:
posts of game/Total amount of posts:
ADOM:1572/3838  ( 40 %)
UFO: 2769/40142 ( 7 % )

ADOM is still a different Lague then UFO

and if it didn't work out, it would be a huge pain to clean up (even more than it would be to implement it).

Well I don't understand the problem.
If it doesn't work out, this would mean that there were no posts in it, then there is nothing to clean up.
Or is succes measured in a different way then the amount of posts ?

We are discussing it, though, and I have some possible compromises in mind.

Looking forward to them.

#12 taikara

taikara

Tai-Fu Mastah

• Members
  • 2389 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 08:44 PM

View PostQbix, on Jun 6 2006, 08:08 PM, said:

1572 replies in the adom thread 3838 in total. I don't know what you woud be a better count then the amount of replies.  Even 4-6 players at any given time is more then the other games on the site.
(in active discussions about a game)

The popularity of anything, in general, is determined by the number of people who talk about (buy/etc.) the thing, not how much they talk about it. I could talk about the brilliance of Ani DiFranco for a thousand pages, that doesn't mean she's an honestly "popular" musical artist.

It would allow the possiblity to ignore a post. Now I can't distinguish between a character post or a great in depth comment about the game. Everything is just one red dot (new post!)

I apologize for this inconvenience, but I'll get back to it later.

Discussions get messed up by character posts. Character help is messed up with newbies asking the obvious.

Having used the thread myself, I think it's still fine. You can't please everyone, but what is  the difference between this, and between people asking for help in different stages of DRoD? Or asking for help in an adventure game thread about different puzzles at the same time?

As far as I know AB and AR aren't related forum wise. So the comparisson with the UFO thread doesn't really have a firm gorund. But for the sake of comparing the 2:
posts of game/Total amount of posts:
ADOM:1572/3838  ( 40 %)
UFO: 2769/40142 ( 7 % )

ADOM is still a different Lague then UFO

I think my point was that the UFO: EU thread on AB is still larger, with much more posters using it, making it more unwieldy. However, the AR and AB communities are just as related as the AR and AB sites. They are different, but still related - even if only because Kosta is the Grand Lord and Master of both.

Well I don't understand the problem.
If it doesn't work out, this would mean that there were no posts in it, then there is nothing to clean up.
Or is succes measured in a different way then the amount of posts ? (I feel like Louis van Gaal with this remark)

Success is measured in a much different way then the amount of posts. I'm not sure you were here when we first decided to use subforums for game discussion rather than topics. It was pretty much the biggest complaint we had about the forum - because the subforums made discussing games a rather large pain in the buttocks. So, we switched to using AB's topic format, as that was a proven method that pleased the majority, and decided to only offer subforums to game producers that were interested in moderating. Eventually, we stopped offering producers the ability to moderate because A) the majority actually don't have time to pay attention to their own subforums here when they've got their own communities to worry about, and :P We would end up having a ton of producers who said, "Hey cool, sure!" for which we would make a subforum, and then it would rarely be moderated. With enough of scenario B happening, we would be back to our logistic nightmare of subforums that annoyed people. You yourself are pretty much representative of the few, the proud, the only fairly active producer/mod we have ever had.

I can't predict the future, but if we moved one game to the subforum format, then there would be no reason for us not to do so for other games that amassed a large amount of posts. For the same reason we no longer make subforums for producers, I would not wish to re-open the Pandora's Box of subforums simply for a large game discussion topic.

So, as I said, I am sorry for your inconvenience, but I am thinking of the potential greater inconvenience of the future when I say I am hesitant to implement this idea.

We are discussing it, though, and I have some possible compromises in mind.

Looking forward to them.

And thank you for sharing your concerns. I believe we have come to a compromise that will cut down at least a bit on your misery of character vs. discussion posts in that thread, but we will have to wait until Kosta is available (he is currently travelling Europe) to implement it :(
you mean the "you moved my litterbox, so I'm going to pee in your clothes hamper" attitude?
doodoodoo!!!

#13 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 07:30 AM

View Posttaikara, on Jun 6 2006, 08:44 PM, said:

Success is measured in a much different way then the amount of posts.
I just don't get it. If you seriously mean that amount of users instead of posts measures the success, please explain me, where's the logic? Where's the logic to rather split game discussion with 50 players and 100 posts than game discussion with 5 players and 1000 posts? Searching through 100 posts can be a little time consuming, but it's only one tenth of searching through 1000 posts...
:(
...70 years... LOL

#14 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6304 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 08:18 AM

I think the point Tai is making is that neither would make much sense...

#15 taikara

taikara

Tai-Fu Mastah

• Members
  • 2389 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 02:10 PM

Yeah, and I probably didn't clearly state it, but I meant that success is measured in functionality, not members or amount of posts in a topic.

While some people may be dissatisfied by the largeness of the thread, it's still functional, and you can use the search function if you really need to find particular information. Maybe not as conveniently as if we had ADOM with it's own thread, but you can still look up "puppy" and find all the posts that mention the puppy cave in the ADOM thread.

On the other hand, pretty much everyone really hated subforums when we did that - it wasn't nearly as functional.
doodoodoo!!!

Reply to this topic