19 replies to this topic

#1 LordHart

LordHart

Member Munchkin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 02:52 PM

I'm currently working on a new freeware adventure game in AGS, and it will be having a voicepack when it is released for an additional download with the game. It won't be needed, but will just add to the overall experience and atmosphere.

What I want to know is would anybody here be willing to provide some voicework within the game. There are only a few characters within the game (3 males, 1 females... this is not including the main character and villian which have already been cast). If anyone has the means to do voicework (ie. microphone, sound recording software), and would like to give it a shot, then just reply here, or send me an email to lordhart@tdrdesign.net with a sample. Being freeware, this also means you would not be getting paid, you'd only recieve a credit.

The sample: "The fish was delish and it made quite a dish." It may be a stupid line, but as evidenced in a Strongbad email, it can be quite effective in guaging a persons voice and style. I'd need a british female voice, a street-tough american voice (NY accent), a war-hardened ex-con type voice and then the rest are rather non-descript and anyone could do these others. All of them must be in a serious fashion though, as the game will be dark in some areas.

If you need a place to upload your work, then just go to http://www.tdrdesign.net/uploads and upload it to my own server. The file size can be a maximum 3.5MB, and would need to be within a .zip or .rar file. The sound file itself should either be .wav, .ogg or .mp3.

#2 Sebatianos

Sebatianos

Member Munchkin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 04:41 PM

Well I'm helping to do something similar already (there's a topic about it on the original abandonia - The Treasure Thieves), but I guess I could do that ex-con voice (just wait a few days - I lost my voice an a field trip, had to shout at kids a lot  :) ).

#3 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6270 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 06:18 PM

Yeah I'll give it a shout and see what I can do, something that I've always been meaning to do, I'll see what I can do into getting some voices recorded and such, ex-con whatever :).

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

#4 Titan

Titan

Gnome

• Forum Wizard
  • 84 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 11:16 AM

Shure, i'll pit in. If it's a serious one, and you have prepared lines and so on.
Never underestimate the power of dumb ppl in large groups

#5 Stroggy

Stroggy

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 11:51 AM

Too bad you don't need a male prissy english voice.

#6 Havell

Havell

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 12:35 PM

Stroggy, on May 15 2005, 12:51 PM, said:

Too bad you don't need a male prissy english voice.
Ditto
IPB Image

#7 LordHart

LordHart

Member Munchkin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 01:23 PM

Titan, on May 15 2005, 11:16 AM, said:

Shure, i'll pit in. If it's a serious one, and you have prepared lines and so on.
Serious, as in will it get done? Or serious as in subject matter?

If you mean will it get done, yes, i'm currently working on backgrounds now, then its onto some character art next and then putting everything together. Once I have that all done, I'll have the scripts for voice actors to record. Perhaps a week or two to get this done. If you mean will it be serious subject manner, then yes. It is going to have some dark moments, and it'll be mostly drama along the lines of a low-budget sci-fi movie or something.

edit: One thing that I should mention is that the game is going to be in 4 small parts adding up to one story, and each part will be released a week after the previous. If I get some good response when it is released, then I shall make another story using the same characters, with the possibilty of more extras and so on.

#8 Stroggy

Stroggy

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 01:35 PM

Don't forget, aside from a script you also need to supply the voice-actors with some info on the character they're voicing.

#9 TheSmyth

TheSmyth

N00b-a-R00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 01:43 PM

I'll help out if you need.

British accent, Nothern type (lancs / scouser / geordie etc..) but I'm told I can do a very posh "James Bond type" english. And I can do camp-welsh. (No matter what I do... It always sounds camp :) )
"All those who believe in telekinesis, raise my hand."

Murphys Law #143: Tell a man there are 300 billion stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

#10 DannyMc252

DannyMc252

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 09:19 PM

only if it actually includes a free mike. I really need one, dammit.
user posted image
Meep?

#11 Titan

Titan

Gnome

• Forum Wizard
  • 84 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 12:30 AM

LordHart, on May 16 2005, 03:23 PM, said:

Titan, on May 15 2005, 11:16 AM, said:

Serious, as in will it get done? Or serious as in subject matter?

If you mean will it get done, yes, i'm currently working on backgrounds now, then its onto some character art next and then putting everything together. Once I have that all done, I'll have the scripts for voice actors to record. Perhaps a week or two to get this done. If you mean will it be serious subject manner, then yes. It is going to have some dark moments, and it'll be mostly drama along the lines of a low-budget sci-fi movie or something.

edit: One thing that I should mention is that the game is going to be in 4 small parts adding up to one story, and each part will be released a week after the previous. If I get some good response when it is released, then I shall make another story using the same characters, with the possibilty of more extras and so on.
I meant, if the lines include what context they are used in, mood and so on.

How will the trasfere to you be preformed?
I expect you want them in raw wav-format, so the files might get somewhat large for a mail.

Feel free to PM more about this.
Never underestimate the power of dumb ppl in large groups

#12 taikara

taikara

Tai-Fu Mastah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2389 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 08:12 AM

Would love to help you out with the female voice, unfortunately, I can barely figure out what sort of American accent I have, much less trying to pin down a British one...  ;)   :)
..<[[[Tofu Ninja of the Pickasldawessle Order]]]>..
QUOTE (Tai - in response to DD on how people who fear change are like cats)
you mean the "you moved my litterbox, so I'm going to pee in your clothes hamper" attitude?
Yes, I just quoted myself. ph34r my T4i-F00!!.
doodoodoo!!!

#13 BeefontheBone

BeefontheBone

Self-titling Egotist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2953 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 08:35 AM

Curses! I have a British accent, but unfortunately it's not a female one, despite my girliness.
[center]
QUOTE (gregor)
also consider this - the turkey *male genital*ula is called little asia on some geographical maps maps.

I'm your solar-powered princess/Your technological soulmate.

#14 The Levitating Nun

The Levitating Nun

Forum Peon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 08:32 PM

If you need any opening credits voices in the style of film trailers I'll be willing to help out but NY is sadly beyond my reach, let me know if you're making another game and I'll be more than willing to help you out with voices.

#15 troop18546

troop18546

Member Munchkin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 04:50 PM

Just give me a shot and I'm in.
Is it my soul?
Is it that glimpse of light? I never forget to expect.
Or is it you? Some kind of angel.
That keeps me in waiting forever?