7 replies to this topic

#1 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6270 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 02:24 PM

Feel free to comment and discuss this game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks don't hesitate to share them with the others! Thanks!

Review + download

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

#2 Darkside

Darkside

N00b-a-R00b

• Producers
  • 22 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 11:48 AM

Wow....nobodys got anything to say about this one?

Took me ages to make this game too....
Spacetime Games - Retro Game Remakes

#3 Qbix

Qbix

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 12:02 PM

Well it looks great and much better then the original.
Is it hard redoing an allready known game ?
Did you have to look at the executable itself to figure certain things out ?

#4 Darkside

Darkside

N00b-a-R00b

• Producers
  • 22 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 01:48 PM

Well, yes and no :-/  Sorry that doesn't make sense.

I've noticed (and other remakers will probably disagree with me here) that there's a fine balance between remaking a game so that it is

a ) Different enough from the original to be called a remake

and

b ) Contains enough features and styles of the original game, to make it at least recognisable!

You can, in this modern age, stray a LONG way from the original format - such as adding 3Dfx graphics etc; in which case the game (in my view) is not a remake at all, but simply a spin-off.  In the case of Equinox, Ric Lumb (the graphics artist that did the graphics for this particular remake, as well as a number of my games over the years) created some 3d-rendered sprites that were still 2D in nature, giving it a nice "Updated" feel, without making it too much like Half Life 2 in the process!

That's just my view of course and I'm sure others will disagree.

As for looking at the original game....I used to own this game on the Spectrum back in 1987, and it really stayed as being one of my favourites for a number of years.  That's what I try to do - remake games that I like.  If you're a really big fan of a game, I think you do a better job remaking it.

**gasps for breath**

Sorry...I know you only wanted a short answer.....but I tend to babble once I get going!  :(

#5 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6304 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 02:41 PM

Darkside, on Mar 14 2006, 01:48 PM, said:

Sorry...I know you only wanted a short answer.....but I tend to babble once I get going!  :(
Let's put it this way: obviously you've got a lot to say. You wouldn't be interested in giving us a proper interview by any chance? :)

"Flippin' immigrants, stealin' our bandwidth etc. etc." - PrejudiceSucks

#6 taikara

taikara

Tai-Fu Mastah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2389 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 06:48 PM

A trip to the Darkside is already in the works :P

...I thought it was about time for me to work on my interrogative skills again :Brain:

Steve is rather modest, but I think I'll be able to uncover the hidden megalomaniac inside, buahahah :( :)
..<[[[Tofu Ninja of the Pickasldawessle Order]]]>..
QUOTE (Tai - in response to DD on how people who fear change are like cats)
you mean the "you moved my litterbox, so I'm going to pee in your clothes hamper" attitude?
Yes, I just quoted myself. ph34r my T4i-F00!!.
doodoodoo!!!

#7 Darkside

Darkside

N00b-a-R00b

• Producers
  • 22 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 07:37 PM

taikara, on Mar 14 2006, 06:48 PM, said:

Steve is rather modest, but I think I'll be able to uncover the hidden megalomaniac inside, buahahah :( :angel:

Hidden?  :)  :P

I'm not modest at all, just honest.  I just like to be the FIRST one to point out all the crap bits of my games before someone beats me to it!  :Brain:

#8 taikara

taikara

Tai-Fu Mastah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2389 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 07:22 PM

For anyone interested, the Equinox (and general remaking) interview with Steve Watson (aka Darkside) is now up. :angel:

Read it here.
..<[[[Tofu Ninja of the Pickasldawessle Order]]]>..
QUOTE (Tai - in response to DD on how people who fear change are like cats)
you mean the "you moved my litterbox, so I'm going to pee in your clothes hamper" attitude?
Yes, I just quoted myself. ph34r my T4i-F00!!.
doodoodoo!!!

Reply to this topic