• This topic is locked This topic is locked
69 replies to this topic

#1 Nick

Nick

Tech-Support Guru

• Admin
  • 6055 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:32 AM

Welcome to the development thread for the next generation of my open world RPG series, Infinity. This new game is being announced within the development cycle. So far, about a quarter of the game is complete. This means most of the technical aspects have been sorted out, plenty of maps complete, and now just the gameplay functions are being worked on mainly. The reason this game's title is a working title, is because I am not sure if the game will sport the name Infinity 3. This next generation RPG will be much different, and improved from the past two games. It may seem a better fit to completely rename the game, or use a different title in the Infinity series.

Infinity 1 & 2 were built using the same engine, RPG Maker 2003. In fact, Infinity 2 was pretty much built on-top of the original game. Someone who opened the games in an editor, would see matching scripts, matching events, and matching maps.

Infinity 3 will be built using one of the latest versions of RPG Maker. VX Ace. This new engine allows for all-new graphics, new functions, and better gameplay. When compared side-by-side, Infinity 3 will look like a commercial game, next to the original Infinity games.

This game will feature NONE of the resources from the original game. It's a complete rebuild, with all new scripts, new sprites, and new features. Essentially I'm taking the best from both past games, tweaking it, and rebuilding it into Infinity 3.

Features:

-Multiple towns and cities to explore. Each with their own pubs, inns, etc. Say goodbye to the one world in the past games, with only one pub. Welcome to a large region, with multiple stores, and places to explore.

-Massive maps, with islands. Become a pirate, and an explorer. When you are tired of wandering through towns, head to port, and go out on the high seas. Explore islands, find treasure, and battle other captains/pirates. You never know who you'll meet on secret islands.. (Some of the largest maps ever in an Infinity game. About the size of all the exterior maps from Infinity 1 and 2 combined)
-Party system. From the start, you will be followed by your trusted thief pet companion, Desmond The Cat. He'll follow you, and even aid you in battle. As you progress through the game, more people will join your crew, and follow you around.. also joining you in battle.

-Character collecting. Character collection returns, but this time, instead of turning into these special characters.. they will be added to your crew. Does this mean Santa will not only follow you, but help you battle creatures? Yep.

-Day/Night System and Weather System

-Economy. For the first time, Infinity has an economy, with multiple shops. Most stores throughout the game run sales on items. So instead of paying full price for that potion, it serves wiser to go back to port, and walk back to the starting town.

-On-screen graphics. New in Infinity, a fancy gold counter. The counter is always on the main map screen, allowing you to see how much gold you've collected.

-Marriage returns. Appeared in Infinity 1, was not in Infinity 2.

-Pick-pocketing returns. Appeared in Infinity 1, was not in Infinity 2.

-More in-depth NPC conversations.

-Buy and upgrade your house. You can now buy upgrades to your house, changing it around from it's default style.

-Monster battles.

-Choice-based gameplay. Now choices you make affect the game. You could agree to complete a quest, and maybe unlock benefits in the future. Or you could kill the quest giver, and see how the town reacts to the change in their town.

-Good missions, help NPCs.

-Villain missions, kill NPCs.

-Facial images of NPCs in text boxes.

All this plus many more improvements.

Infinity 3 is going to be the next generation game in the series. It will bring new gameplay, returning gameplay, and a more commercial quality feel. An ability for expansion packs may also be added, but right now the focus is on the core game.

Explore an open world. Take on missions. Battle monsters. Get married. Explore massive open water maps, and become a pirate. Buy and upgrade a house. Grow your collection of characters, and use them not only when walking around, but in battle.

This is the next generation of the Infinity series. Infinity 3.

Release Date: Fall/Winter 2012

Beta Testers: Frodo

Screenshots from Infinity 3 - BETA Version 0.2

Attached File  Capture1.PNG   236.92K   7 downloads

Attached File  Capture2.PNG   241.02K   7 downloads

Attached File  Capture3.PNG   289.01K   6 downloads

Attached File  Capture4.PNG   219.41K   6 downloads

Attached File  Capture5.PNG   176.69K   4 downloads

#2 Frodo

Frodo

Your neck looks very... tasty!

• Admin
  • 9533 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:16 PM

Wow,  So many new features!  I especially love the emotion clouds above characters heads, and the portrait pop-up when they talk.

And Desmond the cat  :P

And these screens look excellent  :smile:
Please click on my dragons to help them grow -    Posted Image   Posted Image   Posted Image

#3 Nick

Nick

Tech-Support Guru

• Admin
  • 6055 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 08:46 PM

Been working on the storyline for the pirate character, who eventually joins your party. It brings in new cinematics, with automated walking NPCs. Very cutscene like.

I also still have to map some new worlds. :)

Aiming for a fall release date.

#4 Nick

Nick

Tech-Support Guru

• Admin
  • 6055 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:18 AM

Main Areas so far:

Town of Leonardo
Leonardo Forest
Liberta City
Amadar Islands (Large exploration map)
Region of Epans (Large exploration map)
Liberta Falls
Town of Soterios
Limbo
City Ruins

Most of the interior maps have been created as well, and some other extra maps. So far, map count is up to 42.

New screenshots, with a glimpse at some of the new features:

Attached File  Capture01.PNG   316.89K   3 downloads

Attached File  Capture02.PNG   293.51K   3 downloads

Attached File  Capture03.PNG   294.99K   3 downloads

Attached File  Capture04.PNG   240.96K   3 downloads

Attached File  Capture05.PNG   191.72K   3 downloads

#5 Frodo

Frodo

• Admin
  • 9533 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 01:11 PM

Love the names of the areas!  :happy:

And love the screenshots  :Brain:
Please click on my dragons to help them grow -    Posted Image   Posted Image   Posted Image

#6 Nick

Nick

Tech-Support Guru

• Admin
  • 6055 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 04:49 AM

Infinity 3 is now on RMN.

#7 Nick

Nick

Tech-Support Guru

• Admin
  • 6055 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 06:41 PM

Development Blog #1 - New Menus, Areas, and Beta Testing

#8 Nick

Nick

Tech-Support Guru

• Admin
  • 6055 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 07:49 AM

Main Character Revealed

Posted Image

#9 Frodo

Frodo

• Admin
  • 9533 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 08:18 AM

Love the look of Solo  :smile:

#10 Nick

Nick

Tech-Support Guru

• Admin
  • 6055 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 10:32 PM

Development Blog #2
http://rpgmaker.net/...4218/blog/7780/

#11 Frodo

Frodo

• Admin
  • 9533 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 12:51 AM

Can I rob the bank?  :P

#12 Nick

Nick

Tech-Support Guru

• Admin
  • 6055 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 01:46 AM

Probably not. I'm not sure if that will return or not. :) At least this time, it's a working bank. :P

New screenshot:

Posted Image

#13 Frodo

Frodo

• Admin
  • 9533 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 02:09 AM

LOL at santa

#14 Nick

Nick

Tech-Support Guru

• Admin
  • 6055 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 08:28 AM

The first gameplay video has been released. This video shows off one of the large exploration maps.

#15 Nick

Nick

Tech-Support Guru

• Admin
  • 6055 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 05:43 AM

Gameplay Video #2: Soterios, Santa Claus, and Menus