3 replies to this topic

#1 MaxEd

MaxEd

Forum Peon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 06:54 PM

I'm currently working on a remake of an old ZX Spectrum game Island Of Dr. Destructo (also known as just "DESTRUCTO").

Today, Return of Dr. Destructo reached version 0.8, which contains all levels and enemies from the original game, and even new ending animated sequence (it's not very polished, though).

I'm looking for some feedback and suggestions about game stability, performance, gameplay and additional features.

You can download the game using this link: Return Of Dr. Destructo v0.8 (Windows version, zip file with game, no installer just yet). Versions for Linux and MacOS are planned, but not currently available.

System requirements are to be determined more precisely, but I have succesfully ran the game on Atom 1Ghz CPU and Intel GMA500 video card at 25FPS, which is somewhat playable.

Here is a video from the previous version: YouTube

Here are some screenshots (they are actually from version 0.8, contrary to what the window title says :) ):

Posted Image

Posted Image

My current plans for version 0.9 include bugfixes (especially related to music), more sounds & music and ability to save game progress and restart it later ("casual" mode). Also, there might be Achievements.

Version 1.0, which I expect to release some time around this summer, will include completely new graphics for all game objects (I'm currently using sprites from the original game + some placeholders).

#2 Frodo

Frodo

Your neck looks very... tasty!

• Forum Wizard
  • 9398 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:10 PM

Fun wee game.  Thanks for telling us about it.  :smile:

The controls seems to be different to what it says in the ReadMe, and in the onscreen menu.  I found that 'S' made the ship spin round, and 'D' made the gun fire (instead of Left & Right arrow turning the ship, and Q firing the gun).  :smile:
Please click on my dragons to help them grow -    Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Or click here to view them all.

#3 MaxEd

MaxEd

Forum Peon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:04 AM

Hm. It seems that my own keyboard layouy somehow slipped into the release :( I'll fix it. I just got used to a very specific hands position for Spectrum games, because my dad made me a "gamepad" out of a soapbox and some old calculator buttons when I was young :)

#4 MaxEd

MaxEd

Forum Peon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 07:39 AM

Version 0.9 is ready. It's a feature-complete version, but it still lacks replacement graphics I planned. New features include Casual Mode and Achievements.

Download the game: Return Of Dr. Destructo v0.9 (Windows version, zip file with game, no installer just yet). Versions for Linux and MacOS are still not available.

Download source code: Return Of Dr. Destructo v0.9 Sources (Should compile under Windows and Linux)

Some new screenshots:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Still waiting for feedback :)

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com