Jump to content


Dwarf Fortress


12 replies to this topic

#1 Frodo

Frodo

    Your neck looks very... tasty!

  • Forum Wizard
  • 9533 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 01:17 AM

Feel free to comment and discuss this game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks don't hesitate to share them with the others! Thanks!


Review & Download
Please click on my dragons to help them grow -    Posted Image   Posted Image   Posted Image

#2 giga1

giga1

    AR-coholic

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 01:08 PM

What is the game about, is it like a story? because it sounds pretty cool.
Please click on my hatchlings and eggs

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#3 Frodo

Frodo

    Your neck looks very... tasty!

  • Forum Wizard
  • 9533 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 01:24 PM

Play it, and you'll find out.  :P
Please click on my dragons to help them grow -    Posted Image   Posted Image   Posted Image

#4 Doubler

Doubler

    A regular Llama

  • Admin
  • 2740 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 04:45 PM

No story. You build a Dwarf Fortress, or explore them as an adventurer.

Wonderfull sig and avvie by Taikara :D

#5 TheChosen

TheChosen

    Member Munchkin

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 09:30 PM

The game actually got an update today. Lots of cool new additions, but nothing that would drastically change the game.
IPB Image

#6 Potatoe

Potatoe

    Freeware Fanatic

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1487 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 01:13 PM

View PostTheChosen, on 2 Apr 2010, 12:30 AM, said:

The game actually got an update today. Lots of cool new additions, but nothing that would drastically change the game.
I would like to disagree. The whole game has become more accessible, cooler(caverns and shit yo) and overall a more polished product. Too bad you can't go much higher than 5 as far as ratings go. About time this got added to the site though. This game is so awesome it makes me jizz in my pants really hard.

#7 TheChosen

TheChosen

    Member Munchkin

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 07:27 PM

Im not sure about polishing though. Im reading through Bay12's forums and there seems to be quite a lot of bugs in the new one. Not to mention that it now seems to require even more powerful computer.

But yeah, its definitely cooler. There's lot more detail in the dwarfs and the world. Havent found any caves yet, but I've heard some cool stories about players fighting against demi-gods that are half-human half boar-mouth.

Edited by TheChosen, 04 April 2010 - 10:58 PM.

IPB Image

#8 Potatoe

Potatoe

    Freeware Fanatic

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1487 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 04:20 PM

View PostTheChosen, on 4 Apr 2010, 10:27 PM, said:

Im not sure about polishing though. Im reading through Bay12's forums and there seems to be quite a lot of bugs in the new one. Not to mention that it now seems to require even more powerful computer.

But yeah, its definitely cooler. There's lot more detail in the dwarfs and the world. Havent found any caves yet, but I've heard some cool stories about players fighting against demi-gods that are half-human half boar-mouth.
Also dwarf lungmen.

#9 PrejudiceSucks

PrejudiceSucks

    Freeware Fanatic

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1865 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 12:33 AM

Not a great fan myself.

#10 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2010 - 07:20 AM

View PostPrejudiceSucks, on 8 Apr 2010, 12:33 AM, said:

Not a great fan myself.


#11 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2010 - 07:42 AM

Erm, the above post was me. Sorry - somehow managed to open two windows, then post the one that didn't actually have a post in it. I in fact AM a big fan of the game. I would edit it, but since I'm posting as a guest it didn't give me the option.

The game is pretty unique. It's the ultimate sandbox - you can design whatever crazy thing you want then have the dwarves build it, as long as you provide them food, alcohol (or water in a pinch, but they work slower), and a reasonably nice place to live. The 0.28.181.40d version doesn't have a whole lot in the way of challenges, but it lets you get to know the game and get the basic principles down. The newer version adds all sorts of underground fun. For newcomers I'd suggest playing the older version though. The 0.28.181.40d one is the stable version, the newer one is very much a test version and is quite full of bugs. It has a ton of awesome features, but it probably won't in real good shape for at least a month or two.

The newer version has had a serious rewrite of how the creature, bodies, materials, and tissues systems work. This led to all sorts of bugs and other things that are still being sorted - like some materials don't have proper values, and some creatures are effectively invincible while other seemingly dangerous creatures literally die to kittens. The military system was rewritten too, and it has a few minor bugs in it - like dwarves sometimes deciding it's a good idea to rush into battle carrying two axes - a steel one and a wooden training one, then using the wooden one for combat. Hell, half the game was overhauled, the latest version was over a year and a half of steady development. It's no surprise that the game has quite a few bugs. It's still playable if you know enough to work around the problems, but the bugs can really ruin it for a newcomer.

#12 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 June 2010 - 07:54 PM

View PostGuest, on 26 Apr 2010, 07:42 AM, said:

Erm, the above post was me. Sorry - somehow managed to open two windows, then post the one that didn't actually have a post in it. I in fact AM a big fan of the game. I would edit it, but since I'm posting as a guest it didn't give me the option.

The game is pretty unique. It's the ultimate sandbox - you can design whatever crazy thing you want then have the dwarves build it, as long as you provide them food, alcohol (or water in a pinch, but they work slower), and a reasonably nice place to live. The 0.28.181.40d version doesn't have a whole lot in the way of challenges, but it lets you get to know the game and get the basic principles down. The newer version adds all sorts of underground fun. For newcomers I'd suggest playing the older version though. The 0.28.181.40d one is the stable version, the newer one is very much a test version and is quite full of bugs. It has a ton of awesome features, but it probably won't in real good shape for at least a month or two.

The newer version has had a serious rewrite of how the creature, bodies, materials, and tissues systems work. This led to all sorts of bugs and other things that are still being sorted - like some materials don't have proper values, and some creatures are effectively invincible while other seemingly dangerous creatures literally die to kittens. The military system was rewritten too, and it has a few minor bugs in it - like dwarves sometimes deciding it's a good idea to rush into battle carrying two axes - a steel one and a wooden training one, then using the wooden one for combat. Hell, half the game was overhauled, the latest version was over a year and a half of steady development. It's no surprise that the game has quite a few bugs. It's still playable if you know enough to work around the problems, but the bugs can really ruin it for a newcomer.

While I think the game looks really good, I never bring myself to get it. I'm going to try it.

#13 Guest_Urist McLavaSwimmer_*

Guest_Urist McLavaSwimmer_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2010 - 05:58 PM

IMPORTANT:

to all those who can't get into the game, or want some improvements.

Dwarf Therapist, and Dwarf Manager (separate programs, you only need one) allow you to painlessly manage what jobs your dwarfs have which get to be really important when you have 50+ and your trying to stop that one person from picking muddy shrubs when he should be meeting with important diplomats, or arrange who works on what efficiently.

if you can't handle the intense ASCII graphics, then there's a great tileset if you search Dwarf Fortress Graphical (by May Green).




Reply to this topic



  


Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com