141 replies to this topic

#16 Tulac

Tulac

The Great Red Lemur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1546 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 09:19 PM

Instead of messing with all the fancy graphic effects which only 1% of the market can use, they could've made the engine more optimized, I mean I don't it think it would take much time to optimize the game so it can be played on cards that only support Pixel Shaders 1.1, if some guy has made it in 3 days (with bugs though, but with time it'll run ok), thumbs down for Bethesda  :huh:

Also making people pay for pitiful mods (2 pieces of horse armor) 2 thumbs down :P :roflol:

DakaSha:if you go into a kindergarden and give all the kids rubber schlongs they will prob just hit each other over the head with them
DakaSha:and you have a class of little kids hitting eachother with rubber dongs which must be quite funny (also Picklweasel knight I am)

#17 taikara

taikara

Tai-Fu Mastah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2389 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 09:44 PM

Doubler, on Apr 9 2006, 09:15 PM, said:

Yes, that card can do HDR and AA simultaneously. However, the PC Oblivion engine can't, and so it'll make no difference.
Heh, I'm not at all technical, but this has been confirmed. At the moment it's an engine limitation.
Ack, I did not know that... I'm currently running at the lowest possible graphics settings, as my current card doesn't support HDR, and turning on AA results in serious slowdowns.

@Tulac: It would definitely be nice if current game producers focused more on story and gameplay than on producing ridiculously advanced graphics engines that require you to buy the newest $500 card to play to its fullest without experiencing slowdowns.

However, overpriced mods and ridiculously demanding vid card requirements or not, Oblivion is still a great game... I just wish I could play it without worrying about whether I'll get killed due to a graphics slowdown in the wilderness, hehe.
..<[[[Tofu Ninja of the Pickasldawessle Order]]]>..
QUOTE (Tai - in response to DD on how people who fear change are like cats)
you mean the "you moved my litterbox, so I'm going to pee in your clothes hamper" attitude?
Yes, I just quoted myself. ph34r my T4i-F00!!.
doodoodoo!!!

#18 Blood-Pigggy

Blood-Pigggy

No mo' jibba jabba

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1901 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 09:50 PM

I got it for the 360, because I'm poor and I can't afford high-end PCs.
I'm a bit outraged at a move the company made just a few days ago. On the X-Box 360 you can buy armor for your horse, IF you pay a 5$ payment on your X-Box Live account.
So yeah Tulac, I'm a bit POed at that (I bought it against better judgement anyway).

Now if it was one dollar, I wouldn't mind, but five bucks? Nice way to overcharge, I don't mind paying for downloadable content, but I believe that if this trend is going to go anywhere, they need to make it more like Steam, cheap and with good value, otherwise it's trash.

Knight of the PICKLEWAESEL order!!1!21
Best Topics Ever: Aywanez Splenda Women PICKLEWESSEL Signs OMG

#19 Tulac

Tulac

The Great Red Lemur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1546 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 09:53 PM

Not to mention that for PC there will be high quality fan mods made for sure...
I do know Oblivion is a great game, but I can't play it (not even with radeon 9200se which my friend will give me just to play that game, except if the patches work), so let me rant a little :huh:

DakaSha:if you go into a kindergarden and give all the kids rubber schlongs they will prob just hit each other over the head with them
DakaSha:and you have a class of little kids hitting eachother with rubber dongs which must be quite funny (also Picklweasel knight I am)

#20 BeefontheBone

BeefontheBone

Self-titling Egotist

• Members
  • 2953 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 09:57 PM

To be fair to them, the spec requirements explicitly list all the chipsets that should run it - they're quite clear about the fact that you need a hefty GPU to run the game.
[center]
QUOTE (gregor)
also consider this - the turkey *male genital*ula is called little asia on some geographical maps maps.

I'm your solar-powered princess/Your technological soulmate.

#21 Tulac

Tulac

The Great Red Lemur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1546 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 10:05 PM

True but my point is if a guy was able to make modificiations that makes it able to run on older cards (radeon 8500 and further, gf3ti200 and further), withe reasonable framerates(duh PS 2.0 effects are what's making the game works slow), in 3 bloody days, I'm sure it was very little work for Bethesda, and I'm pretty sure they received $$$ from either Nvidia or ATI (or both)...
Also these modifications make the game playable on GFfx5 series, on which without modifications you would get a slideshow...
This just proves that the engine can run without the fancy PS 2.0, it looks like more like Morrowind, true, but I don't think people would mind, so obviously they deliberately didn't put PS 1.1 compatibility so that they would make people buy new graphic cards...

You can see how Oblivion looks on older shader models here: http://www.oldblivio...screenshots.php
(compare it with whatever the game looks on your system, and note that  18 FPS on  a machine that's not suppose to run it is certainly not bad)...

Link to the actual software:
http://www.oldblivion.com/

#22 Blood-Pigggy

Blood-Pigggy

No mo' jibba jabba

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1901 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 01:24 AM

Jesus, no thank you.

I'm glad I have my 360 now.

EDIT: I bet those screens would run even better if they turned off most of the bump-mapping and normal-mapping on the models and stuff. But then it'll be hideous.

#23 Moogle

Moogle

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1035 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 02:01 AM

Heh, the game is awesome yes :P

But yeah...it is a bit too high ended, even on "medium" graphic settings, it lags a tiny bit when entering towns.

As for the payable conetnt...I don't even use horsies, :huh:.

#24 taikara

taikara

Tai-Fu Mastah

• Members
  • 2389 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 03:38 AM

Moogle, on Apr 10 2006, 02:01 AM, said:

As for the payable conetnt...I don't even use horsies, :huh:.
Anyone who's ever played Morrowind can just shrug off horsies as a luxury :P

Man, I remember walking all over Vvardenfell and beyond for what seemed like days and days...

Speaking of which, while horsies are a neat addition, does anyone else feel like fast travel is sort of cheap? It just feels sort of weird to get from one side of the map to the other without having to tiptoe past a horde of hungry critters in the middle of a sandstorm that reduces your visibility to nothing when you've got 15 health points left over from clearing out that dungeon you just had to peak into, and no health potions left.

It's also weird that dungeons are auto-added to your map when you pass by them. I sort of miss having to follow vague directions from NPCs and not ever really being sure I'm heading in the right direction.
..<[[[Tofu Ninja of the Pickasldawessle Order]]]>..
QUOTE (Tai - in response to DD on how people who fear change are like cats)
you mean the "you moved my litterbox, so I'm going to pee in your clothes hamper" attitude?
Yes, I just quoted myself. ph34r my T4i-F00!!.
doodoodoo!!!

#25 Moogle

Moogle

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1035 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 04:08 AM

Heh, yeah, I didn't really care for that in Morrowind, it felt rather annoying to go wander off for a quest, and naturally explore and then find some really neat place with mosters that your not suposed to find yet that you hit 1/10 of the time...

Personally I find that with my athletics based chars I run just as fast as using horsies.

#26 Tulac

Tulac

The Great Red Lemur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1546 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 12:41 PM

Blood-Pigggy, on Apr 10 2006, 02:24 AM, said:

Jesus, no thank you.

I'm glad I have my 360 now.

EDIT: I bet those screens would run even better if they turned off most of the bump-mapping and normal-mapping on the models and stuff. But then it'll be hideous.
Interesting coming from a person who said that graphics aren't important, I mean for me it's important to play it, I don't care about the level of detail, and tbh I don't really see much difference from the supposedly "eye candy" Oblivion screenshot, but hey maybe I'm not that graphics savvie...

#27 Blood-Pigggy

Blood-Pigggy

No mo' jibba jabba

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1901 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 07:46 PM

I never said "graphics aren't important".
If you actually read most of my posts on the subject I'm the person who usually says good graphics are a tool of immersion.

Oblivion will still be fun without its great looks, but it just won't be as interesting or incredible. I rather like riding around in sun-washed vistas, it actually adds a bit more of an entertainment quality, sometimes I just like to sit back and watch the day go by near a pool of water out in a forest clearing.

#28 Docktor_Worm

Docktor_Worm

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 09:28 PM

Morrowind's probably my favorite game, and this looks even better, but unless there's a PS3 port, ill probably never be able to get Oblivion to workwith my Geforce FX 5200 (i think that's what it is)
How does the world size compare to Morrowind though?
IPB Image
...her rabid glow is like braille to the night

#29 Blood-Pigggy

Blood-Pigggy

No mo' jibba jabba

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1901 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 10:15 PM

Dunno, I'd say it's bigger, but it's also a bit more linear too, which means you can't really swim across an ocean like you could in Morrowind once you had a incredible high Athletics skill rating.

#30 Doubler

Doubler

A regular Llama

• Admin
  • 2740 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 02:10 PM

It is bigger in size, but the terrain is laid out differently. In Morrowind the terrain guided you to make the world seem huge, Oblivion doesn't do that.

Wonderfull sig and avvie by Taikara :D

Reply to this topic