Posted Image

#2 a1s

a1s

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 03:28 PM

that is a great game. but I think we mostly have Windows based target group.
and this is a Linux game. :ok:

edit: maybe not... I better go read all of that information.
editx2: nope, it is still linux based. the claim it to be fully functional in CygWin though.
Those of you being liberal-art majors � don�t worry, advanced mathematics were largely omitted from this text in concern for your mental health.

QUOTE (Mighty Midget)
if BP has potied on Twilight Zone episode, I will strangle him

secret adept of the PICKALLONWEASEL order

#3 DakaSha

DakaSha

Happy Little Tree-hugger

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2013 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 03:34 PM

View Posta1s, on Sep 26 2006, 03:28 PM, said:

that is a great game. but I think we mostly have Windows based target group.
and this is a Linux game. :ok:

edit: maybe not... I better go read all of that information.
editx2: nope, it is still linux based. the claim it to be fully functional in CygWin though.

http://www.radscan.c...t/README.cygwin

edit: beat me to it ^^

Posted Image
For all you artists here... and we have enough. Please draw me something :D Click Here. If possible include your nick. A simple Test. dunno of the PICKLEWAESEL order!!1!2

#4 BeefontheBone

BeefontheBone

Self-titling Egotist

• Members
  • 2953 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 06:54 PM

Some of us do use linux, you know - me (dual booting) and MdaG, for a start. 'sides, Linux users need freeware since so few commercial titles are supported :ok:
[center]
QUOTE (gregor)
also consider this - the turkey *male genital*ula is called little asia on some geographical maps maps.

I'm your solar-powered princess/Your technological soulmate.

#5 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6304 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 07:26 PM

View PostBeefontheBone, on Sep 26 2006, 06:54 PM, said:

Some of us do use linux, you know - me (dual booting) and MdaG, for a start. 'sides, Linux users need freeware since so few commercial titles are supported :max:
Well, but will it still be playable for poor Windows-slaves like me?:ok:

"Flippin' immigrants, stealin' our bandwidth etc. etc." - PrejudiceSucks

#6 a1s

a1s

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 07:56 PM

yes it will. technicaly. :ok:
basicaly you need a Linux emulator. they recomend one. and give instructions. but in my experience  these things are still more pain below the back than a normal windows user wants to have.
Those of you being liberal-art majors � don�t worry, advanced mathematics were largely omitted from this text in concern for your mental health.

QUOTE (Mighty Midget)
if BP has potied on Twilight Zone episode, I will strangle him

secret adept of the PICKALLONWEASEL order

#7 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6304 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 08:47 PM

Well, if you think about it, a Linux emulator is a bit of a weird thing anyway.:ok: I'll just have to do without it then, I suppose, but as long as it's at least possible to run the game on a Windows PC with some amount of tweaking, it should be OK to add it to the site

#8 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 06:24 AM

I don't see any conflict if game's only Linux, but freeware. Or have I missed something that says we're (cursed) Windows-only site?
...70 years... LOL

#9 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6304 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 07:09 AM

View PostJuni Ori, on Sep 27 2006, 06:24 AM, said:

I don't see any conflict if game's only Linux, but freeware. Or have I missed something that says we're (cursed) Windows-only site?
No, but I doubt our non-Linux-savvy visitors are going to like it if we start adding games they won't be able to run unless they switch to a different OS. Obviously it will lower the game's reach considerably if there isn't some way of making it run in Windows as well, because as far as I know only around 5% of PC users use Linux. If that's a high enough percentage to justify adding Linux-only games, we might as well have reviews in French, because something like 5% of the world population speak French.:ok:

#10 MdaG

MdaG

AR-coholic

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 07:39 AM

View PostA. J. Raffles, on Sep 27 2006, 09:09 AM, said:

View PostJuni Ori, on Sep 27 2006, 06:24 AM, said:

No, but I doubt our non-Linux-savvy visitors are going to like it if we start adding games they won't be able to run unless they switch to a different OS. Obviously it will lower the game's reach considerably if there isn't some way of making it run in Windows as well, because as far as I know only around 5% of PC users use Linux. If that's a high enough percentage to justify adding Linux-only games, we might as well have reviews in French, because something like 5% of the world population speak French.:ok:
Why would the site be harmed if there are games for other platforms (Unix, OSX, etc.) that some can't make use of? Why can't there be both? And if you want to stay true to this "absolutely free, no copywright, yada yada" then allowing free OS:es to participate with their platform's fan made work will only enhance that image in my opinion.

*edit*
And since some platforms are free there isn't really much stopping a person from trying that game out anyway. It's just a question of how much he/she wants to play it versus the time it'll take to set the environment up. The other way around (non free platform to commercial) is another question entirely.

*edit*
I made a thread about this before. link

#11 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 09:25 AM

And I don't play adventure games. Still we have something like 3/4 (honestly I don't have a slightiest clue) of all games adventure games. And the language is only a question of agreement. I don't actually know the persons behind the decision of choosing English as the one and only language in AR, but I understand their reasons. 0,1% of world population speak Finnish as their native language and I'm not demanding that every 1000th game should be reviewed in Finnish. However, this site is still about freeware games and I haven't noticed anywhere any sorts of limitations of OS. I actually haven't noticed there's nothing to limit review of a freeware game to consoles! If only somebody did one...

But, it's again only me...
...70 years... LOL

#12 BeefontheBone

BeefontheBone

Self-titling Egotist

• Members
  • 2953 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 10:20 AM

In order to run DOS games you need DOS or DOSBox, to run many adventure games you need something like SCUMMVM, several of our RPGs require ROGMaker - all of these things need some effort to configure (albeit not as much as a Linux distribution, although it's very straightforward to get started with a number of distributions), and are freely available, just like Linux (and unlike Windows). Like MdaG says, surely we shouldn't be in a position where we're telling people who use an OS in the spirit of free software and open development that we only support proprietary operating systems here.

I'm not saying we should specifically make an effort to add Linux-only titles, I'm just saying that we shouldn't NOT add them if and when they come up. At present we've not received any reviews for Linux-only titles so it's something of a non-issue anyway.
[center]
QUOTE (gregor)
also consider this - the turkey *male genital*ula is called little asia on some geographical maps maps.

I'm your solar-powered princess/Your technological soulmate.

#13 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 10:23 AM

Very well said, Beefy.
...70 years... LOL

#14 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6304 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 10:52 AM

Hmm, could we perhaps have this discussion just in one place? I'm getting confused as to who said what in which thread.:ok:

#15 Potatoe

Potatoe

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1487 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 12:24 PM

Simply put: Why not? Come on! what's the harm in a Linux only game? One more reason to get Linux :ok:

Reply to this topic