141 replies to this topic

#31 taikara

taikara

Tai-Fu Mastah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2389 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 04:47 PM

Hmm... I don't think the Morrowind terrain really guided you, except possibly in the Redoran area near the Ghostfence (aka Big Freaking Glowy Wall) area. You know, all the large maze-like rock valleys and annoying dust storms. At least, I remember wandering wherever the heck I wanted.

To me, the layout of Cyrodiil is much the same as Morrowind only nicer, because thus far, I haven't discovered any Blight-like areas.

Also, I'm a big one for not following paths, so I've found tons and tons of little forts and ruins that are nicely marked for later exploration.

And, btw, I think the dungeons are much bigger in general than in Morrowind.

Also, I just picked up a rather spiffy set of light armor in a tomb... too bad it's insanely heavy for light armor :roflol:

About that... I found pretty much every piece but the gauntlets (I know they're in there!!!). If any of you have been in that tomb (rough location in spoiler tags below), and know the exact location of the gaunts, please PM me or use spoiler tags to let me know where they are... I like complete sets :P

SPOILER: spiffy light armor set, on tomb location, said:

The Brusef Amelion set of armor (plus long sword) that I found was in Amelion's Tomb, slightly northeast of Leyawiin, right on the eastern bank of the river. Follow the eastern bank of the river north, and you can't miss it.

..<[[[Tofu Ninja of the Pickasldawessle Order]]]>..
QUOTE (Tai - in response to DD on how people who fear change are like cats)
you mean the "you moved my litterbox, so I'm going to pee in your clothes hamper" attitude?
Yes, I just quoted myself. ph34r my T4i-F00!!.
doodoodoo!!!

#32 Blood-Pigggy

Blood-Pigggy

No mo' jibba jabba

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1901 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 07:50 PM

I found other pieces of that set (I think a helmet or something) but I never found that, and I can't remember where I got them cause I sold them right after I found them.

I also got really angry when I didn't save for a bit and fell off a very high bridge while fighting some little imp thingy.
Anyone else have fun with the grab button? I took some horses and freaked people out by dragging them around town.

Knight of the PICKLEWAESEL order!!1!21
Best Topics Ever: Aywanez Splenda Women PICKLEWESSEL Signs OMG

#33 Doubler

Doubler

A regular Llama

• Admin
  • 2740 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 08:19 PM

Morrowind was much smaller then it felt. Most of the game terrain featured long, narrow valleys or stretches of land, seperated by steep hills or cliffs. The most notable exceptions are the Grazelands, Ashlands and a large part of the West Gash (Above Caldera), but they're not very large areas in comparison.

And I didn't mean to imply that you couldn't wander freely in Morrowind. However I've always found it fun to find shortcuts over the hills between 'paths' :angel:

Wonderfull sig and avvie by Taikara :D

#34 Skumpaq

Skumpaq

Forum Peon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 08:10 PM

Those of you who own the PC version might want to check out this site: http://www.tweakguid...Oblivion_1.html

I'm a bit surprised noone has mentioned the item- and level scaling; there's a war going on in the official forums :angel:. Is it just that you haven't reached the time where you really get to see it: bandits in full daedric, or haven't you noticed it/don't mind?

I haven't bought the game myself since one of the things i liked most about Morrowind was looking for better equipment and it sounds as that aspect is somewhat gone. Also the fact that thievery isn't really profitable since the loot in most chests seems to be leveled.

But please do give your experience/opinion on this matter as I would really like to know.
-Yes, I do know how to spell scumbag.

#35 Doubler

Doubler

A regular Llama

• Admin
  • 2740 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 08:13 PM

I noticed ,I check into the official forums as well, so yes, I noticed. LOL
But these days I simply cut the levelling after level 5, so the game actually improves for me :angel:

The truth is the scaling system is, imho, the worst part of Oblivion. It's not game breaking, though.

#36 Skumpaq

Skumpaq

Forum Peon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 08:23 PM

Luckily there are mods trying to fix this. I actually have a rather large list of different mods for Oblivion in case I decide to buy the game. :angel:

#37 Doubler

Doubler

A regular Llama

• Admin
  • 2740 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 08:54 PM

So which levelling mod are you going with?
Can we see your list?

#38 Skumpaq

Skumpaq

Forum Peon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 01:34 PM

For starters, you should definetly take a look at Overload's Mod Pack, it contains a lot of good mods.  http://www.fileplane...;s-ModPack-v3.0

I'm also thinking about fx Lyrondors combat behavior, which improves mob behavier; they might block more/less and so on.

Then there are a couple of "hunter" mods: Axebanes Improved hunting, Lvled list edit by WinterborneTE and Natural Wildlife. However these mods are said to conflict (don't know how though).

As for item-scaling mods there are several and I dont know which one to choose, these include PlasticFoamMan's Unofficial Equipment Rarity Patch, Tom Servo's mod and G's loot mod.

I don't think I wan't to use a level-scaling mod afterall but here is a list of mods that deals with; both item- and level-scaling:
http://www.elderscro...howtopic=307791

Theres also this list containing lots of mods:
http://www.elderscro...howtopic=324335
and this one:
http://www.tescreens...evel Adjustment
And also a good place to download mods would be:
http://tessource.net/

Thats about it and I must say it's a rather large list for someone like me who doesn't even own the game.  :angel:

#39 taikara

taikara

Tai-Fu Mastah

• Members
  • 2389 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 02:33 PM

TBH, I don't really pay attention to news on games, I just play them. :angel:

And I haven't really noticed a problem so far (of course, I don't get much time to play)... I've actually had a much easier time levelling and fighting in general than I did with Morrowind. I think that mobs are MUCH easier, personally... I remember having to restore my game like a thousand times when attempting dungeons that involved mobs, but I've only had to a couple times in Oblivion. It could just be the way I've created my character, though - which is to say, ignoring all guide suggestions for race/birthsign/class/skill specializations and making a jack-of-most-trades with a really weird set up.

The leveled loot doesn't really bother me, either. I don't have much money, but it's not like you don't have time for that in Oblivion.
you mean the "you moved my litterbox, so I'm going to pee in your clothes hamper" attitude?
doodoodoo!!!

#40 Doubler

Doubler

A regular Llama

• Admin
  • 2740 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 04:25 PM

Well, the scaling system is controversial in that. Personally I think it takes away achievement, not to mention that the game becomes... Bizarre at high levels. And it makes RAI implode at very high levels :angel:

Anyway, Skumpaq, I would advise you to thoroughly play the game vanilla before using any mods. Seriously, these game mechanics are recieved differently by a lot of people and everything you hear is highly biased. I know most of those mods in that mod list, and I decided not to use many of them for various reasons. LOL

#41 Skumpaq

Skumpaq

Forum Peon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 04:42 PM

Yeah, that sounds like a good idea. Perhaps only installing some of the more visual mods like Vagabond's Better Gold and those mods that fixes the "soup"(The very blurry textures in the distance), and I don't think a UI mod would cause any harm either... :angel:

#42 Aristharus

Aristharus

Daily Denizen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 08:46 AM

taikara, on Apr 9 2006, 05:13 PM, said:

The optional lockpicking minigame is cool, too (especially since it's optional), but again, same basic concept.
It's much too easy after you get it. I can pick a very hard lock with one pick if I concentrate enough.

I've recently started to hate the many possibilities in Oblivion. I want to try everything and see everything, which results in a pretty strange character. I had to drop the roleplay after I noticed that I was part of The Blades, The Dark Brotherhood and some other very opposite groups at the same time.

One could roleplay a character with divided personality or something, but after it seems to be divided into five or six parts... Let's just say finding good reason to all I make my character do gets a little hard. He can go from Lawful Good to Chaotic Evil in three and a half seconds.
What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk?

#43 Doubler

Doubler

A regular Llama

• Admin
  • 2740 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 09:53 AM

Heh, that's why I only join one (full) group with every character :ok:
The Blades and the DB aren't that hard to combine though... The Blades have gone from an arena team, to the emperor's elite troops, to the emperor's spies, to a knightly order devoted to the emperor's protection.
Choose which one suits you :kosta:

By the way, I'm starting to appreciate the scaling somewhat. Yesterday I found a shield of Justified Retribution, a Base Ring of Speed and a Base Amulet of Absorption in one cave at level 4 :(
Now, especially the shield and amulet are powerfull items with a gold value higher then most Daedric artifacts :)

The next time I visit that cave I can be sure of some high quality loot, however I'm in now way sure as to what it is, how high quality it is and how much of it I find.

#44 taikara

taikara

Tai-Fu Mastah

• Members
  • 2389 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 03:39 PM

I haven't had a chance to play Oblivion in forever :ok:

It makes me sad.

@Aristharus: When he was here, Tom managed to unlock a Very Hard lock with the mini-game. I pretty much suck at it, I can only get 3 tumblers without breaking at best thus far.
doodoodoo!!!

#45 Doubler

Doubler

A regular Llama

• Admin
  • 2740 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 03:43 PM

Hmm, try not to even try to lock a tumbler in position untill you get one going up slowly. Every tumbler becomes easy like that.

Reply to this topic