Savage: The Battle Of Newerth

16 replies to this topic

#1 Frodo

Frodo

Your neck looks very... tasty!

• Admin
  • 9533 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 11:38 PM

Feel free to comment and discuss this game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks don't hesitate to share them with the others! Thanks!

Review & Download
Please click on my dragons to help them grow -    Posted Image   Posted Image   Posted Image

#2 V3r3k

V3r3k

N00b-a-R00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 10:42 PM

Who would think an FPS/RTS game could work so well? This is great fun (Despite the fact that the download took a large chunk of my saturday morning away, but it was worth it), the rush of battle, the unit types you can play as. Though it might have been better if you could play some solo matches and get some practice first! But its still great fun.  :D
This signature is very amusing. Please laugh.

#3 BeefontheBone

BeefontheBone

Self-titling Egotist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2953 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 11:36 PM

Ever play Battlezone? Perfect blend of FPS and RTS, plus an alternative cold war on the moon plot. What more could you ask for? :D
[center]
QUOTE (gregor)
also consider this - the turkey *male genital*ula is called little asia on some geographical maps maps.

I'm your solar-powered princess/Your technological soulmate.

#4 greywolf

greywolf

The Wanderer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 11:46 PM

View PostV3r3k, on Jan 2 2007, 03:42 PM, said:

Though it might have been better if you could play some solo matches and get some practice first!

I believe you can play 1v1s - there are servers that are dedicated to player duels, although I'm not sure which ones or what marks them as such. You might have to check the official forums for a FAQ that will tell you about that sorta stuff.

#5 Durak

Durak

Forum Peon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 05:01 AM

Surprised that it's taken so long for it to get up here.  I told Kosta to get it on abandonia two years ago (or it's seemed that long).  Why is this on reloaded and not abandonia, it's abandonware and not freeware/remake.

Excellent game.  Truly is a great game.  Worth purchasing for anyone, and now it's even free!

#6 Tom Henrik

Tom Henrik

Funktastic Pimptabulous

• Validating
  • 2784 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 12:06 PM

Uhm.. it's freeware, and it was released in the middle of 2006. That's why it is on AR. It's not abandonware by any stretch of the imagination - apart that it isn't sold, but that's because it is free. Which you also states in your last sentence.

And updates takes time - especially with big games like these. First we have to find someone who want to review the game, and that person have to be able to actually play the game. We have had a couple of people trying to review this game, including me, and none of them (apart from Potatoe) managed to get the game running.

If you wanted to put the game on the site immediately, you could've volunteered to review it. Community sites are what the community makes them.

Yo!

#7 Durak

Durak

Forum Peon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 06:28 PM

The game was up a couple of years ago for downloading since s2games has "abandoned" it.  Not sure how this works nearly as well as you experts, but sites I know put it up then since they got permission from the developer.  I assumed it was abandonware since it was originally for sale then abandoned whereas freeware was produced and distributed free of charge from the start.

I guess I shouldn't have said that it took "so long" to get it up since I haven't contributed anything since I've been busy myself :D.

Back on topic:

What sort of issues did you have that stopped you from running it?  This is a great game, and remember to get SEP or EX2 two excellent mods that are just gameplay improvements mainly.  Unlike half-life modifications, these aren't completely different games.  From when I used to play EX2 was standard, but it isn't in development anymore and SEP is, so maybe that's changed.  You can get EX2 here.

From what it says on the evolved clan site:
"Installing Savage with EX2 is NOT recommended by the EvO Community because the install process is complicated, there are few servers to play on, it auth server is no long online and is not support by the community. Only install it if you would like to see what the difference between EX2 and SEP3T are."

The SEP3T installer is on the s2games that the download on the review links to.

Edit: Oh, and you can only have one mod installed at a time (SEP3T or EX2) but you can just install one over the other quickly so you can test them both out and decide which you like better.

#8 Tom Henrik

Tom Henrik

Funktastic Pimptabulous

• Validating
  • 2784 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 11:06 PM

View PostDurak, on Jan 3 2007, 07:28 PM, said:

Back on topic:

What sort of issues did you have that stopped you from running it?

Lack of needed graphic card.

Yo!

#9 Potatoe

Potatoe

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1487 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 11:15 PM

Sorry for the lack of quality for the screenshots, I'm bad at taking screenies... And I tought I had a bad computer... Well, can't complain when I can run this game on maximum. :D

#10 Blood-Pigggy

Blood-Pigggy

No mo' jibba jabba

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1901 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 06:33 PM

The game was kinda mediocre when they charged $30 for it, but now that it's free it's a good game, cause you know, you don't have to pay for it xD

Also, it's still a bit annoying that there are still balancing issues, a smart team of humans can beat the Beasts, but only if the Beasts are being played by average gamers.

Knight of the PICKLEWAESEL order!!1!21
Best Topics Ever: Aywanez Splenda Women PICKLEWESSEL Signs OMG

#11 Durak

Durak

Forum Peon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 07:01 PM

View PostBlood-Pigggy, on Jan 5 2007, 12:33 PM, said:

Also, it's still a bit annoying that there are still balancing issues, a smart team of humans can beat the Beasts, but only if the Beasts are being played by average gamers.

I find that the game is actually really well balanced.   Good players can win on either team.  The thing is, you need to learn the strengths of each side and get used to the reach of your attacks.  When you start playing difficult games you also realize the importance of staying in groups.

#12 Sharp

Sharp

N00b-a-R00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 09:01 PM

Meh its a good game but a better team based game would be Allegiance, screw running around slicing beasties with swords when you can fly big spaceships and shoot stuff.

Hmm mabye I ought to write a review for that if no one else is.

#13 Sharp

Sharp

N00b-a-R00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 11:43 PM

I feel like ive killed the thread........  :D

Im not saying Savage is a bad game, its great fun, I simply prefer Allegiance, but Savage is more of a jump in and play game and teamwork is more about numbers and location then anything to specific, fun to play and it rewards you in game like Enemy Territory the more you do.

One major bad point in the game is that as it is close combat mainly a little bit of lag either from you or your opponent can easily change a fight, I remember playing as a beserker and missing one of those beast thingies (Crawler was it???) but it not getting hit at all.....

Also the mines in the game are amazingly annoying!!!!

#14 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 05:40 AM

Allegiance was free, yours now. And I don't believe you killed the thread. :D
...70 years... LOL

#15 Potatoe

Potatoe

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1487 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 01:56 PM

Who here thinks that the guy who reviewed this game is really awsome?

Any way, lag is an issue, but if you manage to find a server with HvH, then it's really good fun, it's just hard telling who is who.

Reply to this topic