31 replies to this topic

#16 Eagle of Fire

Eagle of Fire

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 16 July 2005 - 09:20 PM

Well, this explanation and the other post are very different things.

Did you ask Tom Henrik about it, or look at the OldWarez search engine they just implemented on the main site?
"I am on a hot streak... Literally"

#17 MdaG

MdaG

AR-coholic

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 16 July 2005 - 09:25 PM

Eagle of Fire, on Jul 16 2005, 09:20 PM, said:

Well, this explanation and the other post are very different things.
They are? Ok, sorry then for being vague.

I'll PM Tom and ask. SEIV won't show up on the old warez search, but I guess it's not complete yet.

*edit*

PM sent

#18 DakaSha

DakaSha

Happy Little Tree-hugger

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2013 posts

Posted 17 July 2005 - 03:30 AM

i doubt SEIV is abandonware

Posted Image
For all you artists here... and we have enough. Please draw me something :D Click Here. If possible include your nick. A simple Test. dunno of the PICKLEWAESEL order!!1!2

#19 MdaG

MdaG

AR-coholic

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 17 July 2005 - 06:12 AM

Well I'm the only one even hoping it is so I'm starting to doubt that too.  :)
I thought that when they stop creating more CD's and selling them it could be seen as abandonware, but judging by the comments I guess there are more factors involved than that (apart from ESA).

*edit*

Ok, seems like they're planning to sell it again. Far from Abandoned then  ;)

It also seems like SE5 is reaching completion...  ;)

#20 Eagle of Fire

Eagle of Fire

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 17 July 2005 - 11:46 AM

Played 100 turns of SE4. Altough interesting to play with, it's nothing more than a very advanced Ascendancy game.

At least the AI seems decent enough to give a little challenge. Even tough I made countless mistakes in my first ever game and I was still managing to win even while being the less techlonogical driven player out there...

#21 MdaG

MdaG

AR-coholic

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 17 July 2005 - 03:04 PM

Well it's the best 4X game I've played at least. I'm looking forward to playing the fifth installment.

#22 Eagle of Fire

Eagle of Fire

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 17 July 2005 - 04:35 PM

Well, it is actually good enough to consider wasting money on. Not much tough.

It fills a void that I didn't been able to fill since I lost my copy of Stars!...

#23 DakaSha

DakaSha

Happy Little Tree-hugger

• Banned
  • 2013 posts

Posted 17 July 2005 - 09:10 PM

eagle cant you just admit that its good and stop acting like a prince?  ;)

well i think its good at least  :)

STARS! is cool.... i still have a copy but i would take this over stars any day. and stars! has one major fault... WHERE THE HECK ARE THE STARS!?

no solar systems whatsoever! just planets drifting through endless space... gets on my nerves

Posted Image
For all you artists here... and we have enough. Please draw me something :D Click Here. If possible include your nick. A simple Test. dunno of the PICKLEWAESEL order!!1!2

#24 Eagle of Fire

Eagle of Fire

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 06:16 PM

Act like a prince?  :)

You see Dakasha, any 4x game need a good AI. If it doesn't have one, the game is automatically crap. That's why Ascendancy is really boring to play with.I don't think SE4 have an incredibly good AI, at least that's the impression I got with the demo.

Since the demo is limited to 100 turns, I don't see a reason why the full game would be better...

#25 MdaG

MdaG

AR-coholic

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 06:52 PM

I haven't played any strategy game with a good AI. Only way to increase the difficulty has been to increase the odds and give the AI more resources to begin with. As always strategy games are the most fun when played in multiplayer mode.

#26 Eagle of Fire

Eagle of Fire

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 07:10 PM

MOO got a good AI as far as I know.

Stars! AI is decent enough too. ;)

The main grudge I got for SE4 when it comes for AI is to continually build and send single ships against my own armada(s). Even one on one with an inferior ship I usually win using tactical combat, so...  :)

Problem with AI's is that they are very previsible...

#27 DakaSha

DakaSha

Happy Little Tree-hugger

• Banned
  • 2013 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 07:30 PM

given the AI isnt really good. you do have to play on hard though or some of the ministers dont work for the AI.

there are some custom races that have some great AI... its all in a txt file that you can change.

and yes ascendancy really really sucked because of the AI... even with that patch. another problem with SEIV is if you wanna challenging game you play against a human but the multiplayer mode is stupid.

Posted Image

#28 MdaG

MdaG

AR-coholic

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 08:06 PM

There's a mod for SE4 that makes the AI a lot smarter. Unfortunately you need to full game to be able to use it (I think).

#29 Eagle of Fire

Eagle of Fire

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 08:49 PM

You know, it's only my personnal oppinion... But I always tought that if a game need a user mod to work well, it's not worth bothering with it.

#30 MdaG

MdaG

AR-coholic

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 08:57 PM

Eagle of Fire, on Jul 18 2005, 08:49 PM, said:

You know, it's only my personnal oppinion... But I always tought that if a game need a user mod to work well, it's not worth bothering with it.
Well, if it makes it work, then why not?