How To Sharpen Up The Image Of Freeware?

35 replies to this topic

#31 Iendicis

Iendicis

Member Munchkin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 03:08 AM

I'd write two reviews a day if they were actually put up on the site...
I have been informed that today is, in fact, opposite day, and what you've written there is absolutely true so you should probably just go.
Rabbleous rabblerousers. Christ on a bike. Quite naturally people took you for a lunatic. Your only salvation now is complete rest.

#32 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4277 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 05:02 AM

View PostDeathDude, on Aug 23 2007, 08:38 PM, said:

View PostJuni Ori, on Aug 23 2007, 07:20 AM, said:

Well, DD has made a lot of reviews, admitted, but he has also grabbed every frigging game I was interested to review. So perhaps if some people grab everything in sight, some people might be more interested in participating. Also I sometimes feel that I'm spamming when trying to be active. If there's nothing I can do, it's hard to do anything.

Ya know Juni, thats why there is the list, where ya put your name down or add a game to the list then put your name down to review. :P Does wonders ya know.

If there is a game on the list and someone has their name on it, I don't touch em, I move fast when I review, take screenshots then write and bam its done, ya can always pm me if theres a game your wondering if I've worked on or thinking about doing it, little communication here and there to keep a heads up on what your thinking, since I can't read minds. ;)
Ya know DD, that it's pretty hard when someone grabs them all ASAP?

I know you don't touch reserved games. Point being, think how it may affect others, if already another crew member couldn't be bothered to start asking you. Or am I totally wrong here? Tell me honestly, how many members have came asking you, could he or she please have that one review?
...70 years... LOL

#33 taikara

taikara

Tai-Fu Mastah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2389 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 05:20 AM

@Iendicis: How about you start by writing two reviews. PM me when you're done, and I give you my word they'll go up on the site within a reasonable period of time. Then you can write two more reviews after they go up :P (same goes if you've already written some that haven't gone up yet - just make sure to PM me to let me know which games you're waiting on)

@Juni:

Ya know, I'm going to back up DD on this one. Knowing him pretty well, I realize the reason he does so many reviews is because so few others actually bother to claim any, and he's dedicated enough to make sure we always actually have something to update with. Not to mention, he does a ton of his own scouting for games to review, meaning a portion of what he does review isn't necessarily even added to the games list.

Point of fact, the most I've ever known him to claim at any given time is 5, and his overall average is more like three at any given time. Currently, he's claiming one game on the games list, out of over 160 games (over 150 of which are listed as unclaimed - though I won't attest as to the current accuracy of the games list).

Bottom line is that regardless of how much DD does (which is a whole lot), there's still plenty left for anyone who's willing to roll up their sleeves and help out.
..<[[[Tofu Ninja of the Pickasldawessle Order]]]>..
QUOTE (Tai - in response to DD on how people who fear change are like cats)
you mean the "you moved my litterbox, so I'm going to pee in your clothes hamper" attitude?
Yes, I just quoted myself. ph34r my T4i-F00!!.
doodoodoo!!!

#34 Sean

Sean

Just call me Mr. Magic!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1265 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 04:25 PM

View PostIendicis, on Aug 24 2007, 04:08 AM, said:

I'd write two reviews a day if they were actually put up on the site...

Quoted for truth...

Main reason I don't review regularly is because they never go up within a "reasonable" time period. Every now and again that's my fault ( I think I forgot screenshot's on one review and didn't have the time when contacted to put them up.. directory wouldn't hold em)

Whenever I write a bunch of reviews, it takes months for them to go up. I don't expect them to go up immediately, but if their not up within a month or two I'm not really struck by "oh well they're short on reviews, I should write a couple" It's more "well, they've still got my other stuff to get through before I review anything else"

I think last time I did a batch of reviews I finished three or four. That was months ago, one game is up (a month or more later) one had already been reviewed (oops!) one had the aforementioned screenie problem... and I honestly have no idea of the progress on the fourth one. Trackmania Nations I believe.

I can honestly say that if I was given some feedback on the status of my reviews, I'd be motivated to write more. A lot more.

On the plus, I stumbled across a half finished review and I'll be finishing that off just for the sake of completeness ;)

Edit: Oh, and to try and speed things up with that batch of four.. I did screenshot's,thumbnails, developer info.. etc. Most of them were "complete" updates and only needed to be put up at the time.

I agree wholeheartedly with Tai, that we can't just be pointing the finger at other people (which it looks like I'm doing, I know) but I personally find it hard to engage myself with the site.. if the site isn't engaging me. I review, I post, I do the odd bit of art...  but at the moment it feels like I'm throwing myself on the fire instead of fueling it :P
Me>You

#35 Tulac

Tulac

The Great Red Lemur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1546 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 06:07 PM

How come there are no updates in more than a month, lack of reviews or other problems?

DakaSha:if you go into a kindergarden and give all the kids rubber schlongs they will prob just hit each other over the head with them
DakaSha:and you have a class of little kids hitting eachother with rubber dongs which must be quite funny (also Picklweasel knight I am)

#36 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6270 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 03:59 AM

Its just been a few circumstances with rl creeping in with a lot of the crew, updates will be coming back quite soon, so not to worry. :P

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

Reply to this topic