How To Sharpen Up The Image Of Freeware?

35 replies to this topic

#16 Mighty Midget

Mighty Midget

RC Heli Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1387 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 09:17 AM

Ok, let me get this straight: A game creator tries to sell his game, but fails. He should then be encouraged to release the game as freeware. Is that it? If so, I agree of course. I also believe that is what happened to the first Battlecruiser 3000 AD games. Although those games were somewhat buggy, the main reason I think is that the concept was so strange it never caught the eye of the PR agencies and so failed saleswise. Smart then released these games as freeware to raise awareness of his later games.
I met a goldfish who remembered meeting me before, but I had forgotten about that.

#17 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4277 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 09:20 AM

Yep, that too, but even more that the initial approach would be via freeware. Also one thing that I've recently noticed causing trouble to freeware games is the lack of evolution in remakes. Too similar to the original means only trouble.
...70 years... LOL

#18 DakaSha

DakaSha

Happy Little Tree-hugger

• Banned
  • 2013 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 12:14 PM

im for anything that promotes this site and through that freeware.

plus it could be fun ^^ if any help is needed let me know.

Posted Image
For all you artists here... and we have enough. Please draw me something :D Click Here. If possible include your nick. A simple Test. dunno of the PICKLEWAESEL order!!1!2

#19 Eagle of Fire

Eagle of Fire

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 11:06 PM

I suppose you think that there are no commercial games that are released as incomplete?
Yes they are... But they are so few, you can't say that it make a good portion of the whole amount of commercial games.

The only very few times I played a buggy game, it was a low end game which didn't cost me much to buy. Raising the "good games are those you pay for" even higher...
"I am on a hot streak... Literally"

#20 Iendicis

Iendicis

Member Munchkin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 08:29 PM

I still think that this entire idea is kind of boring, but I saw one little thing there...

The "Best of" games list. Abandonia DOS has one, why not us? And what would go on it? I'm thinking maybe ADOM, Wolfenstien, Tribes, Battle for Wesnoth, and a few more because I am lazy to think.

As for the rest, I'm still standing by my point that freeware is there, it just doesn't NEED to grow. The freeware scene will never be a big bustling community. It can't, because it isn't made that way. It will be primarily a bunch of people who know what they are talking about, and then a few lurkers who find good games to snack on in the middle of pirating Quake or something. For those who want it, it is there. For the rest...I think more people play freeware than we think. Look at download.com. Look at Gamespot and 1up's various download features. GFW has Freeplay, PC Gamer has their demo discs.

What am I saying? I am saying it again: Freeware is there, there is proof, there is people downloading the games. It's just not obvious, and it's not on this site. :shrug:
I have been informed that today is, in fact, opposite day, and what you've written there is absolutely true so you should probably just go.
Rabbleous rabblerousers. Christ on a bike. Quite naturally people took you for a lunatic. Your only salvation now is complete rest.

#21 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6270 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 08:56 PM

I think the general idea of this is to not only just bring some more exposure to the freeware community but to the site as well, which is all good, any sort of exposure is good, the idea itself will take a lot of work to pull off but it just may happen, going the list route is a start, albeight one that every site does that covers freeware. If AR can get some exposure and get some attention all around, for whichever route is chosen then thats what will be the best to work towards.

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

#22 Sean

Sean

Just call me Mr. Magic!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1265 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 07:20 PM

Raising the profile of Reloaded.org?

It's an idea, a good one at that. I'm not at my own PC right now so I won't have the time to right a lengthy reply just yet, I'll get around to it soon.

Is it the profile of reloaded that needs to be raised? Or should we focus on making things here more interesting.... and in turn reel more people in.

In truth, we have a large enough community, and pool of active members to keep the site sexy for years to come. Problem is, some of us (myself included) have lost interest over the last few months. This is my first visit in a few weeks, and in the last few months I've made maybe two-three postings. I once visited here daily, and was always eager to check out the new games,articles,interviews and postings. That interest has slowly faded, things are less fun nowadays. I think the addition of a few community features that keep "us" talking on a semi-regular basis is sure to both entertain and entice newcomers. Would you, as a newcomer to the site/forum sign given the current climate?

I've been waiting for the site to "grow-up" and get out of the starting gate. In my opinion we're not quite there yet. The site for me is stuck in some kind of awkward limbo.

Enough of my rambling, I'll write a more concise reply when I can.
Me>You

#23 taikara

taikara

Tai-Fu Mastah

• Members
  • 2389 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 04:40 AM

Aaagh, I am so sad I missed the brunt of this discussion, new workies has been really strenuous :'(

Rather than rehashing a bunch of old stuff, and giving my opinions on the causes of problems for this site, I'll just state my basic opinion. If we want to rev up Reloaded and start growing again, here is my very simple proposal:
  • Less talk, more action - volunteer to do something rather than pointing fingers at someone else for not doing it (case in point, about 90% of the reviews we receive are from DD or Frodo, kudos to them, shame on the rest of us)
  • Participate in the community - if you want it to be active, make it active
I really think these two basic things need to be worked on before we start moving onto bigger ideas such as trailers and whatnot. I'm just as guilty lately of not being as proactive as I should be as the next person - I overextended myself with the site stuff and burned myself out hardcore. I'm willing to work on it.
..<[[[Tofu Ninja of the Pickasldawessle Order]]]>..
QUOTE (Tai - in response to DD on how people who fear change are like cats)
you mean the "you moved my litterbox, so I'm going to pee in your clothes hamper" attitude?
Yes, I just quoted myself. ph34r my T4i-F00!!.
doodoodoo!!!

#24 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 01:20 PM

Well, DD has made a lot of reviews, admitted, but he has also grabbed every frigging game I was interested to review. So perhaps if some people grab everything in sight, some people might be more interested in participating. Also I sometimes feel that I'm spamming when trying to be active. If there's nothing I can do, it's hard to do anything.
...70 years... LOL

#25 Frodo

Frodo

Your neck looks very... tasty!

• Admin
  • 9533 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 02:22 PM

View PostJuni Ori, on Aug 23 2007, 02:20 PM, said:

Well, DD has made a lot of reviews, admitted, but he has also grabbed every frigging game I was interested to review. So perhaps if some people grab everything in sight, some people might be more interested in participating. Also I sometimes feel that I'm spamming when trying to be active. If there's nothing I can do, it's hard to do anything.

Is there no other games you are interested in?  What about reviewing the Win Mbt game?  If it is freeware, I'm sure a lot of people would like to see it on the site.  Or maybe there is a similar game that you enjoy?

And it's good that you are being active.  Keep at it.   :P
Please click on my dragons to help them grow -    Posted Image   Posted Image   Posted Image

#26 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 02:26 PM

Well, I began to think about the Steel Panthers review, but honestly my book gets into way all the time.
...70 years... LOL

#27 Frodo

Frodo

Your neck looks very... tasty!

• Admin
  • 9533 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 02:28 PM

Take a well-earned break from your book, and review Steel Panthers then.   ;)

You can always go back to your book in a few days with a fresh mind.   :P
Please click on my dragons to help them grow -    Posted Image   Posted Image   Posted Image

#28 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 02:35 PM

I can't, it's circling in my head all the time - even while sleeping.
...70 years... LOL

#29 taikara

taikara

Tai-Fu Mastah

• Members
  • 2389 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 04:20 PM

Well, if we only ever did things we were interested in doing, we probably wouldn't get very much accomplished.

Besides, it's good to be open minded and step outside the box once in a while.
..<[[[Tofu Ninja of the Pickasldawessle Order]]]>..
QUOTE (Tai - in response to DD on how people who fear change are like cats)
you mean the "you moved my litterbox, so I'm going to pee in your clothes hamper" attitude?
Yes, I just quoted myself. ph34r my T4i-F00!!.
doodoodoo!!!

#30 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6270 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 05:38 PM

View PostJuni Ori, on Aug 23 2007, 07:20 AM, said:

Ya know Juni, thats why there is the list, where ya put your name down or add a game to the list then put your name down to review. :P Does wonders ya know.

If there is a game on the list and someone has their name on it, I don't touch em, I move fast when I review, take screenshots then write and bam its done, ya can always pm me if theres a game your wondering if I've worked on or thinking about doing it, little communication here and there to keep a heads up on what your thinking, since I can't read minds. ;)

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

Reply to this topic