138 replies to this topic

#106 Frodo

Frodo

Your neck looks very... tasty!

• Admin
  • 9533 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 12:14 AM

View Posttaikara, on Jul 10 2007, 01:08 AM, said:

Thanks to Frodo for encouraging our budding author to write more, and thanks of course to Juni for writing and having the courage to post it publically, I enjoyed it.
Well he has talent *psst, don't tell him I said that. :ok:*, and I really enjoy his story.  I like the way he describes things.  

Can't wait for the next chapter.   :shrug:
Please click on my dragons to help them grow -    Posted Image   Posted Image   Posted Image

#107 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4277 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 12:14 AM

Thanks. But I don't find myself very Tolkienesque, at least in that I think my writing storytelling is a little lighter and faster paced. Again there's the "final publication." :shrug: This is final. For now at least. Maybe in some very distant future I might come back to this and refine it, if I had a chance to get it published. Again: This is only sidestory.
...70 years... LOL

#108 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 11:06 AM

Btw Tai, don't think she's loosely based on you, think she just happens to has same "name" as you have.

And shame on me, my main project has been halted. Why? Because of this:
(Immediate edit: I didn't even doublecheck it, sorry for lots of typos.)

STORY OF TAI CARA - PART 5

Young man, or still a boy, tried too carefully and thus hesitatingly to get a grip of his opponent, a boy few years younger. Opponent got firm grip of his arm and wrestled him over. Pained scream echoed in the cliffs.
   "He's no warrior, let him be," middle-aged man snapped to the laughing youth, silencing them immediately. Man was clearly tested in many battles. There were scars all over his body. Standing there with only loincloth on, he was dreadful sight. "Stand up, boy."
   The boy was little skinny. His left elbow and knees were bleeding and he had still tears in his eyes. Man watched him a moment and raised hand to his shoulder, shaking it a little and then sending the boy on his way. Warriors were warriors, this boy wasn't. It would be unnecessary and even foolish to keep torturing him on training fields. He concentrated to others, more hardy boys, which of some were quite promising ones.

Rough training day was turning into evening, when the skinny boy came back carrying a pitcher and backpack full of food. Elder man was at a stream washing his face and other boys used their opportunity and mocked the boy. The boy dropped his load to the ground and turned back, tears in his eyes. One of the boys threw a stone after him, hitting back of the head.
   Elder man saw boys scattering when he came and tried to see what was the reason. Then he saw the food and the pitcher and guessed partly right what had happened. When he saw bleeding boy crawling on the ground, vomiting, he glanced fiercely other boys and hurried to help. Slowly others gathered around them.
   "Who hurt him?" man's voice lashed the air.
   "Sir, I did. I threw a stone, but I didn't mean to..." guilty one replied and tried to explain.
   "Silence! You'll help him back to the camp. Others can start eating, but no wine today. I've tried to make you men, but it seems all I've succeeded so far is to make you bullies. Fine. We'll do it the hard way then."
   Ashamed boy helped skinny boy up and supported his walk downhill. Others began eating and elder man alone drank little wine. Dinner was silent and short. Then they headed back to their camp.

Tai Cara had noticed she had some strange connection with Beludor. Of course they loved each other and big cat was very intelligent, making them very tight pack. In many ways she didn't think they were different at all. They were growing akin. But there was something more, something far more deeper between them. She had noticed reacting simultaneously with Beludor to voices.
   Now they reacted to distant groaning and they headed towards it. It ended soon, but then they were already able to hear footsteps. Two adors, walking unstably. She was so used to it, that she didn't even wonder anymore how she could recognize voices so accurately. Soon she got a glimpse of them. Young boys, which of other one was injured.
   "Hi!" she said after reaching closer. "Do you..."
   Injured boy fell to the ground when the other one abandoned him there, face paled, scared to death. Tai rushed to help the injured and immediately recognized the wound and symptoms. It took only a split second to remember what she could use to help the boy. First she checked the wound and noticed it wasn't bleeding almost at all. She needed a fireplace and...
   Beludor warned her with a low growl. She had been too concentrated to notice there were others coming their direction, but quite far away. Boy on the ground gagged and tried to look up, to see who she was. Suddenly his eyes grew larger and terrified, and he tried desperately to get away. Tai felt really bad deep inside. Was she that disgusting sight? Subconsciously knowing the boy would survive, she stood up and ran into the woods crying.
   She ended up to a small pond, kneeled down and cried. Alesha had told her she of her own youth and how she had been very beautiful, but nothing compared to Tai. Why had she lied? Tai had known their looks were somehow strangely different, though there was clear resemblance with her mother. She watched to pond's still water and saw so familiar face there. Now, after seeing the boys, she compared them to herself. There was something she couldn't specify, that made them different.
   Beludor covered her with his mane and licked her cheek. Well, at least Beludor still liked her. Breaking the image in water with her fist she decided she wouldn't give up. She had to find a husband and she would. But suspicion in her mind asked how could she ever get a noble one?

Couple ten days later she had been spying the camp and its inhabitants. They were hunters, away from their homes, it seemed. She had heard their speech and it had comforted her, even though she hadn't dared to close them enough to hear much. Because of that she hadn't got very good picture who they were and why they were here? Only building was a storage dug into ground and it was surrounded by tents.
   She decided to take a risk and go closer. There were only two women, both elderly, and all others, thirty or so, were men of all age. If they were refugees of some sort, perhaps they'd need more women. But first she wanted to get a better picture. Led by Beludor and his superior senses they climbed into nearby tree, a huge and old oak. From behind the foliage they could follow camp unnoticed.
   During the next days she realized that camp wasn't normal hunter group's camp. They spent too little time in the woods and more time in preparing for winter, which was coming. Beludor had already began growing winter fur and he had turned from light brown to noticeably lighter. Soon, close to the time snow would come, he'd be bright white.
   Tents were reinforced and Tai estimated they might do one more hunting trip to close woods trying to fill their stocks. Everything seemed improvised, but at the same time to be quite well in order. They would most likely survive over the winter without big problems. Tai had reduced her preparations for winter to only gathering fruits, berries and mushrooms. Snowlions hunted around the year and unlike other animals, had very little difficulties during winter.
   One day Tai decided to unveil her to the camp and she climbed down from the oak in daylight. Until that she had lived days in the tree and came down only when night had fallen. Now guard reacted immediately to her and shouted alarm. Tension grew and warriors lined up, javelins ready and staring them in awe.
   "Halt!" one called when the distance between them was still signifcant.
   "I come in peace, please lower your arms," she relpied smiling gracefully.
   "Send the beast away!"
   "He's no threat..." Tai tried to convince.
   "Send the beast away, if you don't want to cause its death!"
   Tai felt clearly that Beludor wouldn't leave her alone, unprotected. Men had to trust into her and the lion, or she had to move on.
   "We will stay together, but we want to respect you and ask you, could we make a camp near yours, so you'd see that he is of no harm?"
   Men glanced each others, still clearly watching out Beludor. They tried to whisper in secret, but Beludor's sharp hearing revealed everything to her. Unfortunately it was rather difficult to separate so many voices at the same time to make sensible sentences, but she understood they were very afraid of her. She startled, not the lion but her! Why? Fear of beast she did understand quite well, but why her?
   Men spoke of spirits of woods, evil enchantresses and many others, which of she had never even heard. Two men, clearly of high status, spoke silently to each other, glancing her every now and then. Then the badly scarred one approached Tai. His eyes kept staring at Beludor, but there was no fear in them. Man had clearly stared death into eyes before, many times.
   "Your name?" he asked turning his eyes to Tai.
   "Tai Cara, sir. I promise, we don't cause you any trouble. Beludor is an excellent hunter and we can share some of his prey."
   "What are you? You clearly are and are not ador."
   "My mother was ador, my father I never met," she dodged the question. Her mother had advised her to not reveal her father.
   Man thought a moment, before turning eyes into the lion.
   "And this beast? How do you command him?"
   "I don't, he follows me for love. His father protected my mother when she waited me."
   Suspicion grew in man's eyes. Tai tried to be as small and unthreatening as she could. She really wanted to know these people and get their acceptance. Man glanced behind before making his decision.
   "Fine, beastlady. Keep the beast in distance and you two can camp next to us, but not closer than this. And this is the border your beast mustn't cross. If you want to trade, you'll have to come into our camp alone, or wait until someone comes here."
   "Thank you sir. Would you tell me your name and who you are?"
   "Pirador. We are refugees from south. Lemens are advancing and they have already seized Six Stone's Cradle."
   "I'm sorry, Pirador, but what is Six Stone's Cradle?"
   Pirador glanced her suspiciously.
   "It was Dor's home. After the defeat we fell back to there and tried to stand ground there, but in vain. After seventeen days of siege they broke in and we were defeated. Only few of us made out from there, sneaking past the siege in the night. Ever since the lemens have grown power in North and advanced slowly deeper into our lands."
   "Did you ever see Dor?"
   "Hah, I fought on his side, though I was nothing compared to Andor or the other heroes. They were the last ones to fight, but in the end Dor sent them as messengers. It is even rumoured that one of them was sent to his secret wife and their daughter, but most don't believe it. Why would he had hided his wife and daughter?"
   "Perhaps he prepared for defeat? If lemens knew he had a daughter, they'd had tracked her down and killed her."
   "I've heard that before and that's the only reason I don't know what to believe. Maybe he saw into future. But now I have things I must take care of. Perhaps we'll continue this conversation later. Remember the boundaries I've ordered."

From her fireplace she saw her neighbors keeping an eye on her. They were on the run, hunted and thus suspicious of everything. No wonder. Beludor had been hunting and brought a deer to her. Some time ago, before encounter, he had hurted his paw and Tai took a closer look of it, but found it quite well healed. Low growl warned her again. Suddenly she thought she had seen Pirador coming towards them. Turning her head she shivered: Pirador was indeed coming round.
   "Evening," he greeted.
   "Good evening," Tai replied smiling.
   "What were you doing?" Pirador asked looking Beludor's paw.
   "Oh, Beludor hurt his paw some time ago and I just checked it."
   Pirador shook his head. He knew well that wounded dogs could be dangerous, what would far more larger and vicious snowlion be?
   "His name is Beludor? Dor's bannerbearer's name was Beludor."
   "I know..." she startled. What should she be knowing?
   "Tell me, how come you know some things, but you've never even heard of Six Stones Cradle?"
   "Me and my mother lived alone with the lions in a small island. She told me a lot, but she was the only one to tell me things."
   "Haven't you met others than your mother before?"
   "Well, one messenger came by... No, sorry, no I haven't."
   She cursed deep inside! She had to be far more careful. This man had today spoken of Dor and his messengers, mentioning a rumour about secret wife and daughter.
   "Have you or have you not?"
   "Well, when I was smaller I kept dreaming of a messenger coming to tell my mother we could go back to her village. It felt so real I sometimes believe it really happened," she lied.
   Man stared at him suspiciously. Then he took a winebag and offered it to Tai. She took a sip from it and offered it back thanking. Man drank before continued.
   "I hope you understand that we're suspicious. We have hard time in trusting each others, let alone some odd stranger coming in, with a snowlion! I don't know have you noticed, but we're closer to group of bandits than a clan. There are only two or three carrying similar clan symbols. As an outcast I think you can understand what it's like?"
   "I'm not an outcast!"
   "But your mother was, wasn't she? At least you said something like that. Doesn't that then make you too an outcast?"
   "But..." she started, but closed her mouth. Maybe man was right. Maybe she was an outcast, but she hadn't done anything, she was innocent.
   "Well, anyways, you know..." Pirador began, lust in his eyes, touching her knee. But he withdrew it immediately, when Beludor began growling loudly, stepping up and revealing his fangs.
   "Beludor, don't!" she shouted and tried to forestall Beludor.
   Beludor halted, but made perfectly clear, in some strange way, that he wasn't forced to, he was pleaded. Pirador backed off holding his axe ready.
   "I told you to make sure that beast doesn't threaten anyone!"
   "No you didn't. You told us he couldn't come closer to camp than this. And he's only protecting me!"
   "You are an enchantress. I should had believed my men. Guards!" he suddenly turned shouting.
   Now everything went wrong. Tai stood up trying to understand what had happened? This man had been friendly and speaking with her, but all of the sudden he had gone crazy! And his look before that had been different. Some primitive instinct kept telling her it was lust she had seen, but she couldn't believe it.
   All because she didn't understand that it was the lion others had shunned, not her.
   Beludor roared loudly, making Pirador back off even more, protecting Tai gathering their belongings. It didn't take long and she ran into night, followed soon by Beludor, who offered to carry her. After a while they were quite far and Beludor halted, wanting Tai to step off from his back. She dismounted and made a camp.

After several days she began to understand. They had kept moving and she had gave a deep thought to everything that had happened. Everything became clear when she spied other camp, where were more women, including younger ones. They weren't so much different and she thought she understood why she was different, but still beautiful. She had images of herself, which she realized were really Beludor's, wherein she radiated some deeper strength.
   Images were fascinating, beautiful, but still intimidating. And so was her ability to occasionally see through Beludor's eyes! She sat down, leaning to Beludor, closed her eyes and tried to feel Beludor's presence. It wasn't even difficult. And all of the sudden she saw, heard, smelled and even felt what he did! Not far away were his feelings, his thoughts and he seemed to be happy, though little disturbed of Tai's intrusion.
   Tai Cara realized that she had powers far beyond her imagination. Or did she? Indeed she had the powers, no doubt, but far beyond her imagination? No, not really. She had always thought of them, dreamed of them, but she had never believed she really had them. She felt a presence nearby, a by flying bird, and concentrated deeply. But no, she didn't succeed in getting into bird's mind. She only got a glimpse of fast moving surroundings from height. For a moment she felt sick.
   She kept experimenting for some time, before began to think how she could make contact with others? In the end, she decided to cover herself with cloak and hood. Later on, she began to study could she veil her, so others wouldn't find her as attractive?
Edit2: Corrected quite a few typos and stupidities. :shrug:
...70 years... LOL

#109 Frodo

Frodo

• Admin
  • 9533 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 12:24 PM

Look forward to reading this tonight.   :ok:
Too many distractions at work.   :shrug:
Please click on my dragons to help them grow -    Posted Image   Posted Image   Posted Image

#110 Frodo

Frodo

• Admin
  • 9533 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 07:12 PM

Yay!  This is brilliant work.   :ok:

It was a sudden break at the start, which threw me for a while.  But I get the feeling that Tai has been travelling for several days before coming across this camp.  I like how you describe the camp, and the boys with so much detail.   :shrug:  

Tai is getting more aware of her surroundings, and she is gradually getting the same senses as Beludor - that's how she heard the injured boy moaning in the distance.  Her first thought was to help the injured boy, and that shows a lot about her character.  I'm not quite sure why the boy was so afraid of her though.  

Interesting revelation that these are Dor's men, but they were defeated.  Tai tries to hide her true identity from them.  It was sad when she had to flee - Beludor was only protecting her from Pirador.

I love at the end, when she starts experimenting with her powers.  She can 'project' herself into Beludor.  She sees what he sees, she feels what he feels.  Then she tried with the bird.  

This is brilliant.  Can't wait to read what happens next, when she covers herself and makes contact again.  And what is going to happen to Dor's men.   :D

#111 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 07:26 PM

Admitted, there's a small (read: huge) gap between the parts 4 and 5. Sorry, my bad! :ok:

It wasn't too obvious, until in the end - wherein you understood it right - that Tai isn't actually improving her own senses, but experiencing them via Beludor. Also, to answer:

I'm not quite sure why the boy was so afraid of her though.
read again:

All because she didn't understand that it was the lion others had shunned, not her.
Admitted, I perhaps should had underlined whom others were afraid of. It was perhaps too obvious to me and I thought everybody would think the same way.

I'm not at all happy with Tai's flee and actions that led into it, but I couldn't come up with anything better. Most importantly point became clear. (I hope! :D)

But thanks! :shrug:
...70 years... LOL

#112 Frodo

Frodo

• Admin
  • 9533 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 07:36 PM

Sorry, that was me being stupid.  They were afraid of Beludor, not her.   :shrug:
Wasn't thinking clearly.   :ok:  

This is one addictive story.   :D

#113 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 07:40 PM

Hehe, that's okay! Btw, this has gone a little too much to my writings, so I decided to do something more artsy and show you this (let's pretend it's Beludor :shrug: ):

Attached Files

...70 years... LOL

#114 Frodo

Frodo

• Admin
  • 9533 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 09:29 PM

That's a brilliant Beludor piccy.  I love how you did his mane and his ears.  I can imagine the ears twitching as he listens out for things.  And his mane looks nice and long, and I can just sink into it.   :D  

I wanna give him a big hug.     :shrug:

Nice kitty.   :ok:

#115 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 10:13 PM

Actually the ear is that I'm not happy with. For two reasons: first, it's too small; second, it's of wrong shape. Otherwise I'm quite satisfied, because I haven't done too many ink works and this one I'd find quite good even if somebody else would had drawn it. Well, except the ears.

Edit: why did I speak of "ears" when there's only one visible? :shrug:
...70 years... LOL

#116 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 08:45 PM

STORY OF TAI CARA - PART 6

Time flew by, seasons changing, and year gave place to next one. Nearby areas were scarcely inhabited and Tai and Beludor had no problems remaining hidden. Every now and then they closed some temporary settlement, which of most were turning permanent. From closer range she could hear discussions with Beludor's ears. Mostly they covered casual issues, but every now and then they overheard disturbing rumours.
   "Fifteen days march to east and south lives a beastlady, who seduces lonely men and turns them into willingless beasts! She is so powerful, that even a glance can seduce a man. And not men alone, if she doesn't get men trapped, she'll lure even women," and so on...
   Most ridiculous was that she had moved quite directly south from where the rumours must had started. Further she went, worse things turned. Summer had barely began, when she met first time lemens. It was clearly a patrol, hunting scattered remnants of an enemy they had won earlier. Tai Cara had seen several withdrawing groups, which thought only north, survival.
   The enemy looked weak and short. She couldn't understand how her people had lost to such weaklings? She only glanced Beludor and she knew that magnificient beast was more than eager to attack this patrol. For a passing moment she wondered why? Wasn't Beludor supposed to protect her? Going willingly into battle didn't sound very clever in that way.
   They ran ahead patrol's path to make an ambush into a dense foliage. Tai Cara took a firm grip of her axe and laid down to moist long grass. She felt Beludor very well five or so meters on her left side. Patrol had ten men, all clad in armor and carrying spears, shields and a sword on their belt. Tai felt her heart bouncing hard. She tried her best to veil herself from enemy's eyes. Then the patrol was next to her. She had succeeded, they didn't notice anything before she attacked.
   Her attack was so strong, fast and ruthless, that the first soldier hardly ever knew what happened. Beludor pushed over two other at the same time, leaving them no hope of survival. Rest of the enemy fell back shocked and trying to reform their ranks. Tai walked fierce look in her eyes, but smiling viciously. Beludor ignored two soldiers choking into their blood in his feet and stood staring at the enemy
   "You're in queen Tai Cara's lands without permission. Leave the North while you still can, or let your bodies rot in vast wildernesses, being eaten by the scavengers."
   "Three leftmost, take her! Rest, wait for the beasts attack, hold the line firm!" eldest man leading them, clearly a veteran, shouted.
   "Mistake," Tai laughed. Inside she was afraid, but kept her maniac looks up well.
   The three enemies approached confidently. She had some time to think and she used it all to come up with a tactics that would bring her victory. Slowly enemies' confidense was shaken because her smile didn't fade away. They must had thought her as a maniac or something far worse. Suddenly she realized her and Beludor's thoughts were the same, and she began falling back.
   Beludor clearly focused to remaining four soldiers, who kept waiting. He walked back and forth, staring at his enemies. Then the moment was right. He suddenly changed his direction and attacked one of Tai's opponents. Surprising attack confused the enemy and Tai made her move. Swinging enemy's spear aside with her axe, swung around the shield and struck her axe deep into lemen's back. Beludor had just finished his opponent and last of the three had turned to face the beast. Tai hit him hard to back.
   Three of the last four chose to run. Veteran glanced behind cursing and watched Tai and Beludor for a moment. They approached him calmly. Veteran nodded them and took several steps backwards.
   "You and your companion won this battle, ador witch! Is this going to have a bloody ending, or will you let me go in peace?"
   "You can go in peace, if you tell your people, that adors are the only legal rulers of these lands and their queen will protect the lands. Every patrol, every detachment you send to our lands, is in grave danger. But feel no shame, you stood and fought. It was your men who ashamed your race. Now go, and don't come back."
   "I will, but may I first ask who won me?"
   "I am known with many names, but you can use name Beastlady."
   Veteran watched her for a moment, before bowing.
   "Your majesty, I believe. But fear not, I swear I won't reveal your secret," before walking away.
   Beludor snorted. He clearly disagreed. But such was the lions' mind, she understood. Unlike their southern cousins, they fought to the death.

Further to the summer she kept her promise to lemens and totally annihilated four patrols before mid-summer. Then she noticed they had increased both patrols and men in them. She had also had to use her powers in battles and she felt exhausted. Just like years ago, when they had protected their island from those creatures. With Beludor's assitance she found a remote hideout and made a camp there.
   It took two months to recover. At worst she had fever and without Beludor she wouldn't had survived. Even though there was a female nearby - she had heard it's roars - Beludor did not leave her except for hunting trips. He didn't even answer to the roars.
   "I love you," Tai whispered to his ear and squeezed him hard. Huge beast purred. He had grown massive, even larger than his father. And even after all these years, he looked like just full-grown. Years hadn't aged him. Tai thought perhaps their symbiosis had shared her special trait to age slower. Maybe the beast had also became far more intelligent than his kin.
   When Tai felt better and was able to defend herself if needed, Beludor disappeared for four days. When he came back, he didn't have any prey. Tai petted him smiling knowingly, and Beludor took her hand in tender hold with teeth. Tai couldn't resist even if she wanted. After she began to follow, beludor released her hand and led the way deeper into the woods.
   When they came to another river, Beludor began to follow it upstream. After long walk they arrived to a uphill and a cliff, where the river came out from several meters above the ground. Tai watched Beludor wondering why they had came here. Place was nice, but...
   Beludor jumped to cliff and further to the small gap, where the river came from. Unlike before he didn't seem to mind for the water. There was something in there Beludor wanted to show to her, so she began climbing. It wasn't too easy, but she had climbed worse before and reached the gap soon. Inside was a long dark tunnel, but somewhere in distance was some light. She waded the river forward, behind Beludor, who led the way.
   All of the sudden a roar echoed in the tunnel. Beludor roared back. Tai felt a little nervous, because she knew well enough how dangerous snowlions could be. In dark tunnel she could see only through Beludor's eyes. She saw a female ahead. Female's teeth were bared and she hissed. Tai believed she was Beludor's mate, but the situation was tense. Beludor went closer the female, who kept staring at Tai Cara.
   "Nice girl..." Tai said softly.
   Beast took few steps forward. Tai's heart was bouncing. Beludor followed the female closely, side by side. Tai kneeled into freezing water and struggled against coldness and fear to not shiver. She reached for the beast's mind. Directly she couldn't reach it, but she felt a link between Beludor and the female. Slowly and gently pushing through the defenses she got in, trying to calm the animal.
   Slowly they closed each others. Beludor was all the time very close and closer they got, more he pushed between them. He clearly didn't want to take any risks. Female sniffed Tai long and backed off when Tai raised her hand to touch the animal. Tai held tight to the thin contact she had with the lion. Without Beludor she'd be shredded dead in seconds.
   Female backed off and waded back deeper into the tunnel. Beludor followed her Tai right behind him. Deeper there was a huge cave, split in two by the river. Female beached to the left bank. Tai watched the place. It was perfect hideout. In the beginning the ceiling was very low and here inside the cavern the ceiling was in three or four meters high. Several holes high above brought some light inside.
   Beludor beached after the female and both laid down. Tai followed carefully, she didn't have contact with the female anymore. She concentrated, but animal refused and warned her with a low growl. So she sat down and began to plan how to furnish the place. Female signed she was clearly disturbed for Tai's presence, so she waded over the river. Suddenly she saw an entrance of a tunnel, leading deeper, behind a stalagmite in a low part of the right bank.
   Following it she soon ended up into another cave. It was huge. She gave a thought to one rare thing she had noticed. In her youth she had never seen Uran to step into river, except when fighting those creatures. Reana had once fell into the river and had been miserable sight for some time. Lions didn't like water. What had made this female to behave so strangely?
   Beludor had followed her and went searching the cave. There appeared to be another tunnel and a cave, much smaller one than the two she had already discovered. But there it ended. This was more than good place for a hideout.
   It didn't take long to move her camp inside.
Thanks to Tai helping me in a difficult spot!

...70 years... LOL

#117 Frodo

Frodo

• Admin
  • 9533 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 09:30 PM

Tai & Beludor make an ace team.   :D

They really dealt with the group of lemens nicely.  She kept that manic smile the whole time.  And then telling the veteran that lemens should get out of her land.  

I found it very touching that Beludor wouldn't leave her when she was exhausted.   :ok:

I loved Tai's introduction to the female snowlion.  How she tried to get inside her mind and calm her down.  

And that cave is well hidden.  An excellent hideout.   :shrug:

#118 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 03:16 AM

STORY OF TAI CARA - PART 7

By the fall the female began to show signs of being pregnant. She had slowly accepted Tai Cara as part of pack, even though snowlions usually were lonely animals. However she didn't show any signs of affection, only acceptance. But Beludor never left Tai alone with the female. They were mates, Tai was only essential bad to the female, that came with Beludor.
   Beludor and Tai had ambushed one more patrol, soon after their size had reduced back to ten men. Immediately again the numbers grew, and they decided to leave them alone. They were superior fighters, but twenty against two was far too risk. Ambushing ten was simple, they almost always got three before enemy had time to react. Enemy had also learned to move wiser in the wilderness. They were more silent and faster, making it a bit harder to spot and a lot harder to get ahead them. But still it was far from impossible.
   Their connection improved day by day. Sometimes Tai didn't even have to concentrate, she just happened to be in his mind. Beludor had slowly got used to it and he wasn't anymore confused at all of her presense. Mostly he helped Tai with his incredibly accurate nose. They found huge amount of otherwise difficult to find herbs, and soon Tai had significant stocks of cures in the caves.
   She had also made herself a insignificant looking cloak with hood, that covered her fully. Her attempts to hide her strong presense were improving and she was thinking of contacting others soon. Hopefully everything would go fine. Perhaps she could even coordinate attacks against the lemens.
   But before all that, they heard a battle from a distance.

In a steep sloped valley they found nearly hundred lemens pushing about thirty adors back. Tai followed concentrated the battle and it took some time to her to realize that Beludor was following movement in other side of the valley. There were twenty or so adors coming down the slope staying silent. In moments they'd hit the lemens hard from behind.
   All of the sudden quiet order came from their right side. Suddenly adorarchers stood up and began raining arrows down to enemies' neck. They were accurate, but not very effective. Mails and helmets, not to mention shields protected the enemy too well. All they achieved was to alert the enemy of surroundings, just in time so they could form a line against the flanking unit. Things weren't going too well.
   Tai and Beludor watched from their hide how step by step lemens pushed their enemy back and forced them to rout. Casualties were significant on both sides, but lemens had numbers on their side. Intervening wouldn't help much, Tai decided and kept waiting. Battle wouldn't last long.
   "Fall back!" she heard from her right side and the archers, unaware of observers' presense, disappeared into the woods.
   Flanking warriors were in worst position. Main force had began retreating some time ago and now lemens could direct more forces to defeat them. Tai felt bad seeing her kin dying in desperate battle. Only two or three could escape. The terrain was far too difficult to quick retreat. She shed couple of tears and went after the main force.

She had followed them to late evening, until they had camped. Archers and two of the flanking unit had joined them. Their wounded were in bad shape and some of them were doomed, Tai could say from this far away. Even she couldn't help them and she knew a lot of wounds and how to take care of them. Painful moaning hurt her badly. She decided to at least guard the camp, so the dying and wounded could rest peacefully.
   "Guard, don't be alarmed, I'm a friend," she announced from some distance. "Call your chief here."
   "Who's there?"
   "A friend. Though you may not believe it. I've heard too much rumours to actually believe you'd believe me, but I beg you to trust me," Tai spoke walking slowly into guards sight.
   Guard must be wondering how I ever found him, Tai thought smiling. Guard called for his chief, who came with few men from the camp-fire. They looked carefully, little conserned her before chief spoke:
   "Who are you?"
   "A friend. As I told to your guard, you hardly believe me, but I hope so. I saw your battle and followed you in hopes I can help. I can help your wounded and I can guard the camp with my companion. But I must warn you, because I've heard rumours about me, that I am the one you call the Beastlady."
   "You? Beastlady?"
   Only hint of a thought and Beludor walked from the shadows he was hiding in into sight. Men sighed in respect and automatically took better grip of their weapons.
   "So it seems. Why do you reveal yourself to us?"
   "As I said, I want to help."
   Chief gave this a thought, before shaking his head.
   "I'm sorry, and I don't want to offend you, but we've heard far too many rumours of you and your beasts. Most likely my men couldn't rest if you were here. They fear you."
   "And you?"
   Chief hesitated, most likely unwilling to admit his own fear.
   "Let's say I trust you can help us guarding the camp, but I will keep my sentries where they are. If anything at all threatens us, you can gain my respect by shouting a warn, or even defending the camp."
   "I will do so. But I recommend you let me see the wounded..."
   "No, I have made my decision. You are not allowed to enter the camp."
   "Very well... Can I even advice you? I know all the herbs and I can tell you how to keep the wounds from becoming inflamed."
   "Fine. Eredor, listen what she has to say, but don't let her seduce you and turn you into a beast. You already remind too much of a fox," chief said little rascally.
   "Sir, may I ask your name?" Tai asked.
   "I'm Fiador, chief of this band of bandits and murderers. And yours was?"
   "Tai Cara."
   Chief nodded and headed back to the camp-fire. Man called Eredor listened carefully Tai's explanation and apparently even knew something already, because Tai didn't have to describe but one of the herbs.

After peaceful night she approached the same sentry post. The sentry was informed of her existense in the nearby woods and why, but startled anyway. He was also about to drop his spear.
   "Is your chief up yet?"
   "Milady, I believe he is, shall I call for him?"
   "Please do so."
   It didn't take long before Fiador arrived.
   "Where's your beast?"
   "His name is Beludor and he's very close. He is my guardian and no one is in any danger as long as my life or health is not endangered."
   "Apparently you either took enemies by yourself or there weren't any. I'm satisfied. Do you want to share breakfast with us?"
   "I'm pleased for your invitation, but I don't know how your men might react to Beludor. He can't leave me alone around strangers."
   "Please summon him. I want to see this magnificent beast tamed."
   Beludor walked peacefully to Tai's side.
   "He's huge. I've never seen snowlion that large."
   "He is. If you want to, I can persuade him to let you touch him."
   "Touch him?" chief asked shocked.
   "He won't do you any harm if you only act peacefully.
   Not too long there were around twenty warriors around Tai and the beast, watching their chief petting this huge beast they respected so much. Hunting one was really big thing, this was huge. But the crowd around Beludor made him nervous and Tai had to ask them to get back a little. Everyone, including Fiador took immediately several steps back.
   "Well, I think he's welcome to enter the camp, if you two are comfortable with that. Of course there will be lots of action around you two, but I can order my men to stay at distance."
   Tai scanned Beludor's mind and decided they could enter the camp. Hopefully things would go well this time. She reminded herself to keep her hood shadowing her face. Chief ordered his men to stay at distance and sat next to Tai. Beludor kept an careful eye turning his head all the time.
   "We have very limited dishes, mostly dryed meat and bread. Unfortunately we don't have any wine, only some mead and ale."
   "That will do just fine, don't worry," Tai said taking offered bread and wooden cup.
   "And your beast? What he needs?"
   "It hunted at night, I don't believe he needs food right now."
   Breakfast was little stilted, and Tai didn't believe her hood helped the situation at all. It was a small wonder nobody had asked her to reveal her face. Eventually someone would. Fiador seemed to be intelligent and fair man, honest and discreet. Could he possibly be the one Tai was searching for? Tai decided to hope nothing and wait and see. Soon after the breakfast the camp was ready to move on.
   "So, what happens next?" Fiador asked.
   "You tell me. What are your plans?"
   "To move north. It would be foolish to stay here, those lemens will come back reinforced and hunt us down, if we stay here."
   "Not necessarily," Tai said, but closed her mouth thinking again her possibilities.
   "What do you mean?"
   "Let me guess you don't have home?" Chief nodded. "Here you can't stay. Unless..." she thought carefully before continuing. "Unless you have a perfect hideout."
   "What are you talking about? Do you know such place?"
   "Yes I do, but I'm not sure how good this idea is. Hence my hesitation."
   "Let me know why you are not sure of it and I can help you to decide. Of course it's yours and we will honor your decision."
   "Well, the biggest problem I see, is the hideouts inhabitant. It accepts me only because of Beludor."
   "And what is this inhabitant?"
   "Female snowlion."
   Expressions revealed immediately that the men weren't too eager to disturb snowlion. On the other hand they'd win without a doubt, but no one was too willing to risk his own skin. It was also very unlikely she'd accept any more people there.
   "What if we, you and me, go see this place and her? Perhaps she'll accept slowly more intruders?" Tai proposed.
   "Watch it," man behind Fiador whispered. Tai only barely heard it with Beludor's ears.
   "...or I'll change Fiador to beast?" she added. Fiador and man behind him startled.
   Fiador stared at her, trying to see through the shadows.
   "I will go with you, if you show me your face."
   "I'd rather not."
   "Then our paths part here."
   Tai needed allies. She needed to get to know with people, if she ever wanted to get a husband. She took off her hood. Men around sighed. Fiador's eyes burned with passion. Tai grimaced disappointed. But suddenly passion stood aside. He controlled himself.
   "I see. You can keep your hood on, I'm sorry I forced you to remove it."
   "So, shall we go see the hideout?"
   "At your service, milady," Fiador kneeled, others following his lead. "I'm afraid I couldn't refuse your company even if I knew it would lead to my certain death."
   "I offer you no death but by chance in war against the lemens. I hope this leads into a long-lasting alliance."

When they reached the hideout, Tai left main force behind with Fiador and led the way to the small waterfall and climbed up. Snort warned them after few steps, but Beludor's soft roar calmed the female. Fiador had little difficulties in darkness. Tai hadn't thought this, he couldn't use Beludor's eyes. They reached the main cave and the female greeted Beludor, but kept Fiador suspiciously on eye.
   "I think she's pregnant, so she may be little aggressive, but I don't believe it will do anything if we don't go near. I've brought here wood for fire and I have small storages of food here, out from her reach. But we need to gather a lot more, if we are to support your men. How many do you have, I didn't count."
   "Twenty seven now. Two or three may still die, but I hope not. You saw the worst wounded on our way to here, what do you think?"
   "Of one I'm not sure. Others should survive. Now see, here's a tunnel to next cave. Follow me."
   "I've had time to think, and I'm sorry if I offend you. Who was your mother?"
   "Alesha."
   "Of what clan?"
   "Oh, I never happened to ask it!"
   "Fine. Who was your father?"
   "He died when I was very little. I can't remember him."
   "And how old are you? You are older than you look, aren't you?"
   "Why do you ask these questions?" Tai asked little annoyed.
   "How did you come up with name Beludor?"
   Tai remained silent. They had entered the larger cave and stood face to face. Fiador wasn't going to give in, but he went straight to the point:
   "You are Dor's daughter, aren't you?"
   Tai knew too well her face had betrayed her.
   "My Queen, I swear to serve you as a humble servant. My life and sword is yours. Whatever you order me to do, I will do with great enthusiasm and as well as I can. What is thy bidding? Do you accept my puny services?" Fiador asked knelt and head bowed.
   Tai felt sudden urge to hold this man, but maintained her dignity. She raised man's head with her left hand and smiled to him. All she saw in man's eyes was unreserved love.
   "I accept your services and appoint you my general. Together we shall put the lemens to rout and raise adors back to glory."
   Fiador took her hand and kissed it gently. For a short moment Tai felt his presense and his heart racing. His mind was pure from deception and dishonesty. She pulled the man up and watched each others deep into eyes.
   "Now I want you to go and bring two more men here. Let's slowly get that female accept you all here."
   "Yes, Your Majesty!"
   Funny thing was Beludor being nowhere in sight.

...70 years... LOL

#119 Frodo

Frodo

• Admin
  • 9533 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 08:36 AM

YAY!   :D    She has friends.  She has allies.  And they will defeat the lemens.   :shrug:

But where is Beludor?   :ok:

#120 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 05:35 AM

The Truth
I'm levelheaded my *money-maker*
I'm of the worst class
You saw what you wanted to see
But it wasn't really me