54 replies to this topic

#1 DakaSha

DakaSha

Happy Little Tree-hugger

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2013 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 03:53 AM

im a BIG fan of roguelikes... this has got to be one of the best ones... angband engine but alot more complex(if you like that sort of thing)

http://www.t-o-m-e.n...?tome_current=0

biggest downfall are the bugs tho...

Posted Image
For all you artists here... and we have enough. Please draw me something :D Click Here. If possible include your nick. A simple Test. dunno of the PICKLEWAESEL order!!1!2

#2 MdaG

MdaG

AR-coholic

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 08:10 AM

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the tip. Other rougelike games that have been review are Zangband and Ancient Domains of Mysteries. There are also at least two more up for review. Nethack (and/or Falcon's Eye) and Lost Labyrinth. Check em out if you're interested.

#3 DakaSha

DakaSha

Happy Little Tree-hugger

• Banned
  • 2013 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 05:29 PM

Mdag said:

DakaSha, on Aug 19 2005, 06:17 PM, said:

yes sir.

just use the menu(top of the screen) to use the "new tiles" (id use large tiles also... it looks better and doesnt strain the eyes as much)
Hmm I compiled it from source (playing it in Linux) and I don't see any menu...

*edit*
This conversation should be split into the ToME thread in the request forum...

ok then i dont know... i use the windows binarys  :)

Posted Image
For all you artists here... and we have enough. Please draw me something :D Click Here. If possible include your nick. A simple Test. dunno of the PICKLEWAESEL order!!1!2

#4 MdaG

MdaG

AR-coholic

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 05:30 PM

I'm searching the forum, it's the same source. It's just that the Windows one is precompiled... right?  :)

#5 DakaSha

DakaSha

Happy Little Tree-hugger

• Banned
  • 2013 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 05:38 PM

this is my screen (oh and i recomend the theme mod :) )

Posted Image

#6 MdaG

MdaG

AR-coholic

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 05:39 PM

Hmm, can you post a screenie of how it looks with the tiles? I can only get ascii.

*edit*
By the way, I'm looking forward to reading your review. Sometimes one's enthusiasm can rub off...

#7 DakaSha

DakaSha

Happy Little Tree-hugger

• Banned
  • 2013 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 05:45 PM

sure here ya go: (Bree)
**EDIT**
yeah im going to try to review it by monday... cant promise anything but it WILL be done   :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

#8 BeefontheBone

BeefontheBone

Self-titling Egotist

• Members
  • 2953 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 06:10 PM

Juni, have you tried Mordor? It has fixed dungeons and I reckon you might enjoy it - check out Braindead's site here.
[center]
QUOTE (gregor)
also consider this - the turkey *male genital*ula is called little asia on some geographical maps maps.

I'm your solar-powered princess/Your technological soulmate.

#9 MdaG

MdaG

AR-coholic

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 07:58 PM

Having only ASCII for graphics isn't bad at all. Things tend to get really scary when it's my imagination doing the environments and monsters... :)

*edit*
If you do want to run it with graphic tiles in Linux run ToME like this (console)
tome -g -- -b

*edit*
Man am I getting my a** pounded!... This game makes Zangband seem easy! Is it suppose to be this hard, I can't even survive on lvl 1 !?
Sometimes I get teleported out into the wilderness, why is that? It's really annoying cuz I have to spend a lot of food on getting back to Bree...

#10 DakaSha

DakaSha

Happy Little Tree-hugger

• Banned
  • 2013 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 09:14 PM

yay somebody likes it :)

if your in bree and press "<" youll enter the overhead map... its not that hard i think... its considred a very easy angband variant. just take your time and read everything that you are told. youll get the hang of it after ahwile and wont have to read about 90% of what pops up

Posted Image

#11 MdaG

MdaG

AR-coholic

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 09:25 PM

DakaSha, on Aug 19 2005, 11:14 PM, said:

yay somebody likes it :)

if your in bree and press "<" youll enter the overhead map... its not that hard i think... its considred a very easy angband variant. just take your time and read everything that you are told. youll get the hang of it after ahwile and wont have to read about 90% of what pops up
After only playing it for about an hour (and dying eight times during that time...) I have to say it shown promise. I'm still wondering what's causing me to teleport like that on lvl 1 in the dungeon west of Bree... Why am I getting my *** whooped by the dogs in the field (trying to do a quest finding mushrooms for some guy in Bree)? Do you have any n00b tips for me?

#12 DakaSha

DakaSha

Happy Little Tree-hugger

• Banned
  • 2013 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 10:14 PM

i have the perfect noob tips for you ;):

1(optional): download and install theme and the graphics files

2 you need my preference file or you need to set it up the way you wish.

3... take a Troll - Zombie - Warrior - Hafted Master (STAY AWAY FROM EVIL EYES WITH THESE)(i reccomend 98 quests)

4  hit "C" and put tactics to furios and exploring to running. go to mayor... get quest... go to house in the middle with yellow roof... do quest. return to mayor get new quest.. forget it for now. the house is now your house like in zangband.

5 go to the western dungeon and make your way down untill you have to much to carry.

6 use scroll of recall

7 identify one item that you think might be worth alot of cash...sell it.  then go to library and identify all... sell what you dont need.

repeat from step 5 and enter loop untill you beat the barrow downs (level 10)

ok...

keep your 2 "C" options on at least aggressive and always on running.

dont do the farmer maggot quest (3 dogs) untill you get the garenteed ring of invisibility from smeagol (hes ussually found on level 7..hes not all to hard but be carefull...he has a surprise ;) )... then you can get by the dogs then without being attacked.. then bring the mushrooms to FM ... then kill the dogs ;)

SKILLS
ok. first skill haftedmastery all the way up... then magic device and archery untill you can only higher them 1 per level. keep all remaining skill points from then on... you can use them when you get new skills.. you can "purchase" the ABILITY ammo making for 7 skill points... just hit "N"...

ok sorry if thats alot but its perfect for the start(untill your good enough to do it your own possibly better way :P )... tell me when you need more info... i love to help a roguelike player ;)

**EDIT**
i dont have any clue why you are teleporting out of the dungeon... never heard or seen it before  :)

Posted Image

#13 MrBackAlleySka

MrBackAlleySka

Daily Denizen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 20 August 2005 - 02:35 AM

excellent! Another Roguelike! Hehe, im always up for one of those, this one really looks complex and I love complex <3

#14 MdaG

MdaG

AR-coholic

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 20 August 2005 - 06:58 PM

My greatest character yet lived to become lvl 2. Is it suppose to be this hard? First monster I encounter usually kicks my ***. I can't finish the mission the mayor gives me since I keep getting killed by the rouges. Is the default difficulty set to super hard in the source version?

#15 DakaSha

DakaSha

Happy Little Tree-hugger

• Banned
  • 2013 posts

Posted 20 August 2005 - 09:52 PM

it isnt hard. make sure you have tactics on at least aggresive like i said. (only need it that high in the beginning.)

and there is no difficulty setting

just get used to it and most importantly take your time :)

Posted Image

Reply to this topic