62 replies to this topic

#1 Kon-Tiki

Kon-Tiki

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 10:07 PM

Feel free to comment and discuss this game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks don't hesitate to share them with the others! Thanks!

Review + download

#2 Yobor

Yobor

N00b-a-R00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 07 May 2005 - 10:53 PM

Hehe, this game is awesome. I actually got it quite a long time ago, and havent played recently (Since everyone is a Barret-*twiggy*) but still, its a great game.
We're running low on skin; I suggest we harvest another lesbian.
user posted image

#3 Havell

Havell

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 07 May 2005 - 11:06 PM

Anyone feel like another Abandonia match?  No Barrett allowed.
IPB Image

#4 Lizard

Lizard

N00b-a-R00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 07 May 2005 - 11:29 PM

Not that bad idea!But I am newbie..... :)

#5 TheAssassin

TheAssassin

Forum Peon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 May 2005 - 12:10 AM

Excellent game for multiplayer :) Controls might take you a 30 minute session to master and use to the fullest extent.  The weapons will take less time than that.

Once you learn the game, try it on Realistic Survival.  Its a new trend thats started recently and rooms are becoming more frequent.  Its Soldat...Except that when you die you are done for the round.  And you die quicker, and can't see around edges that aren't in your line of sight.  This makes for stealthy, chaotically paranoid matches where everyone on your team is counting on you to make those last 3 kills.  Tons of fun.

#6 VijchtiDoodah

VijchtiDoodah

Forum Peon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 May 2005 - 08:31 AM

Whoa, whoa, whoa.  That "requires registration" warning is going to be a HUGE turn-off for most people who look at the review.

I've been playing Soldat for over a year now and still haven't registered.  The pop-up isn't annoying in any way and there are practically no missing features.  The registration should really be called a "donation" because that's all the creator wants in order to continue to update this great game.  In return, he gives you the option to customize the color of your jet flames (which isn't in any way necessary), the ability to choose from different profiles (which is only needed if you have more than one person on your computer and if that person wants different settings), custom interfaces (but there are hundreds of mods that can be used without registering), and an mp3 player (which is also completely unnecessary because you can play the game and have music software running in the background at the same time anyway).

Really, Soldat is an awesome game with an even better community behind it.  Learning how to play is extraordinarily simple especially since there's such a diverse collection of servers that host different types of players.  And if that isn't easy enough, there are even training bots that you can use and set the difficulty on.

As for the "barret-*twiggy*" comment, barrets aren't much of a problem any more as weapon balancing has become much more efficient.  If you have a problem with someone who has this one-hit-kill weapon, you can simply shoot them to send their accuracy down the drain (and when they miss their one and only shot, you can easily take them out before they have time to reload).

This is one game that everyone should at least try, and if you like it, you can join the forums (which are much friendlier and more interesting than other game's forums); or, if you don't like it (but you will), it's a quick and painless deletion for such a small file size.

#7 Stroggy

Stroggy

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 08 May 2005 - 08:47 AM

I'm sorry but I can't deny the truth, fact of the matter is: it is there and you do have to wait 3 seconds or so before you can start the game.

#8 Kon-Tiki

Kon-Tiki

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts

Posted 08 May 2005 - 11:41 AM

Three seconds's nothing. If they'd've leave that out and put one function more in to load when starting up, it'd be like that too.

#9 Stroggy

Stroggy

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 08 May 2005 - 01:45 PM

Be that as it may, Soldat is still the 4th most downloaded game on this site

#10 TheAssassin

TheAssassin

Forum Peon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 May 2005 - 04:53 PM

The fact that you said "Registration REQUIRED" is what will be a turndown.  "Some Features Locked without Registration" might of been better or something along those lines.

I've been playing about 6 months now without registering...The registration in no way effects gameplay and therefore cannot be called required.

#11 S4R

S4R

Forum Peon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 May 2005 - 06:03 PM

Nice post Vijch.

I also think, in the review, there should be a bit more added. Soldat also has a very nice Map Maker, which is very easy to learn. You can also modify your interfaces in the Interface Maker.

Soldat is an intense game, so if you don't like it, you don't need to complain. Just leave it and join another game. And the registering pop-up, you're gunna whine over a 3 second screen? What are you stupid?

#12 Stroggy

Stroggy

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 08 May 2005 - 08:53 PM

I gave it a 4.5, I generally lauded it with praise. Where other reviewers complained about controls I said they were splendid and intuitive and now I'm even interviewing the creator of Soldat... what more do you want?

Its already one out of 4 most popular and most downloaded game. It is the game with the second most hits for the time being.

Oh and Mr. S4R, I would appreciate it if you wouldn't call me stupid, there are more civilized ways to convey your disaproval.

#13 Kosta

Kosta

The Great Creater

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 08 May 2005 - 09:21 PM

Calm down everyone... REQUIRED might be a heavy word, but no need to call anyone stupid. I've changed it to "Registration popup" which is more of an annoyance. I hope this is more to your liking :)

#14 Stroggy

Stroggy

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 05:25 AM

appeasement never helped anybody.
Posted Image

But alright.

#15 Nosferrath

Nosferrath

N00b-a-R00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 04:33 PM

The game doesn't work. It just keeps asking me for dlls and after I downloaded them it says that a device attached to the system is not functioning.  :)

Reply to this topic