10 replies to this topic

#1 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6270 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 02:12 PM

Feel free to comment and discuss this game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks don't hesitate to share them with the others! Thanks!

Review + download

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

#2 Potatoe

Potatoe

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1487 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 05:11 PM

Looks nice. But I wonder is there gonna be a good FPS game coming on the site soon. *hint hint*

#3 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • 6270 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 05:53 PM

There's a few I've written that are top notch First person shooters. :bleh: But anyways let's try to keep on topic about victory road.

Very hard game, just like it's arcade predecessor.

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

#4 VR2

VR2

Forum Peon

• Producers
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 02:10 AM

Wow, interesting thread...I started writing this game in 2001 and folks are still discussing it in forums such as this. Thank you, that is really terriffic :bleh:

My feeling on the game now has not dimmed with time, I wrote it to give the "feel" of Daytona in graphics and sound, but I knew I didn't have the programming or art skills to really do Daytona USA justice.

I'd like to think that nowadays I could do alot better than VR, perhaps use a physics library etc (as my most recent demo does), but developing full games, rather than quick demos takes an enormous effort and investment, time and pure dedication.

So, for the time being at least, I think short code demos is about all I can manage.

The FPS referred to in this thread was another of these, a mixture of some new collision routines I'd written and experimenting with shadow mapping. Ages later I visited the topic again for the platformer demo applet where the player could stand on moving & rotating platforms etc.

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks for the the thread, and if anyone has any questions, feel free...

#5 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • 6270 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 05:23 AM

Since 2001 eh, whoa quite a bit of time, think ya definitely got the "Daytona USA" feel, definitely enjoyed the game, really captured that racing excitement I remember when playing the Daytona games, in my arcade days. :bleh:

#6 Forebodingburger

Forebodingburger

Forum Peon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 01:43 AM

Man, I loved Daytona USA on the Saturn as a kid...

Too bad I ruined it. :bleh:
Beeing Extrodinarily Evil To Squirrels

#7 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • 6270 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 03:27 AM

Never did have a saturn used to play the game at the arcades a long time ago, there was a nice arcade we used to have with a lot of games called playdium shame it closed down :bleh:

#8 VR2

VR2

Forum Peon

• Producers
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 10:33 PM

Graphically, the original Saturn version looked very poor I thought, even at the time, especially compared to it's rival, Ridge Racer on PSX.

It was only after I managed to get hold of the game as "abandonware" for the PC many years later (a pc port of the Saturn game) and being able to compare it with the Street Circuit Edition and the later Dreamcast 2001 revision, that I discovered that it actually had the best / closest to the arcade handling of all the home versions!

After the wow factor of better graphics of the Dreamcast had worn off, I'd find myself going back to the original as it just played better. Unfortunately, being DOS based it no longer runs on my system.

I would just love it if sega did like with Outrun and remade Daytona USA for PSP! or Virtua Racing...

As for Victory Road, you may not know that...

Press the "q" Key while mid-crash - and you go into what I'll call "screenshot" mode. You can then move the camera around with the cursors & also ZOOM in and out using the "o" and "p" keys :-D Careful tho as extreme camera zooms can crash the program :-0

Press the "W" key while playing to get the chance to switch to "wireframe" mode.

For those who are really stuck and can't unlock what they want, just email me and I'll tell you how to cheat and get everything.

I also have a patch lying around somewhere that will mod the game...basically it was done to remove any copyright material so the game could be sold but that never happened, it also gave me a chance to tweak things a bit to make it slightly easier & give more speed / better handling to the cars generally. On the other hand, it does away with the official "Daytona" announcer & sounds in favour of the tones of a friend of mine. Music remain unnafected though. Personally the mod version is my favourite.

Again if anyone is interested, drop me a line and I'll see if I can dig it out for you.

#9 Tom Henrik

Tom Henrik

Funktastic Pimptabulous

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2784 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 10:59 PM

Hey there VR2, and welcome to the site :P

It's great to see that producers are becoming more active on the forum! :sneaky:

I see you mentioned that there is a patch for the game. Is it possible that we could host this on the game page as an extra? Also if you have anything else that we could throw up as an extra, that would be awesome! Examples would be things like mods, patches, art sketches, a photo of your nicely painted toycar ( OMG ) and so on. Basically anything that is related to the game, that you would be willing to let us host :borg:

Yo!

#10 VR2

VR2

Forum Peon

• Producers
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 01:35 AM

Sure, I'll see what I can dig out of the archives for you :sneaky:

#11 VR2

VR2

Forum Peon

• Producers
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 11:32 AM

View PostVR2, on Nov 9 2006, 01:35 AM, said:

Sure, I'll see what I can dig out of the archives for you ;)
Here is the turbo patch for the game:

http://www.victory-r...ctoryRacing.zip

Installation instructions:

Make a backup of the game by copying all files in C:\Program Files\VictoryRoad to a new folder, called C:\Program Files\VictoryRacing

Unzip the above path INTO the new VictoryRacing folder. Execute the "C:\Program Files\VictoryRacing\VictoryRacing-beta.exe" program inside your new VictoryRacing folder.

Reply to this topic