Happy Little Tree-hugger

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2013 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 07:43 PM

omfg... how did i miss this thread!?

*downloads*

Posted Image
For all you artists here... and we have enough. Please draw me something :D Click Here. If possible include your nick. A simple Test. dunno of the PICKLEWAESEL order!!1!2

#32 BeefontheBone

BeefontheBone

Self-titling Egotist

• Members
  • 2953 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 08:06 PM

I've not managed farming properly myself yet, and it's the first major barrier you're likely to run into (apart from wild animal attacks or the odd accidental civil war in the current version). You need to find muddy tiles and assign a farm plot on them (b then p). The easiest way to do it is to set up an area yourself and control the flooding with floodgates and channels - the seasonal flooding's not very reliable.

Basically, you need to tunnel east until you find the underground river then clear a space near it for your farm, pluse a tunnel leading to the river for the channel. Put a floodgate right next to the water, then the channel, then another floodgate on the other end, and a stone door on the room. Floodgates (and the levers you need to control them) require mechanisms from the mechanic's workshop, a total of 3 mechanisms per lever/floodgate combo.

You should get something like this:
.....................	  ~~
...................X______X~~
.....................	  ~~
Link the floodgates to levers, then pull them both to open them and flood the area. Close them off so the area dries and goes all muddy, then designate it as a farm plot (you'll need a dwarf assigned to farming (fields) on his v p l list), then select it with q and choose something you have as a crop. Planted squares turn to a brown =, then all the dwarves come and harvest it later. The mud/fields will dry up when winter starts, so you need to get on with it really, especially in the first year - it's that bit I've not gotten right yet :) You can farm a few scrappy muddy tiles next to the river, but you really need a proper farm set up before the spring migration brings you more mouths to feed.

@Daka: Wait until you try Adventure mode. The combat is ridiculously detailed (as it was in the original Slaves of Arnok, in fact).
[center]
QUOTE (gregor)
also consider this - the turkey *male genital*ula is called little asia on some geographical maps maps.

I'm your solar-powered princess/Your technological soulmate.

#33 DakaSha

DakaSha

Happy Little Tree-hugger

• Banned
  • 2013 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 11:22 PM

is it just me or does this game completly rock *money-maker*?

i havnt really played much but it seems to be really cool... im really hoping it doesnt turn out to be a disapointment because im completly flashed by this one so far :)

Posted Image
For all you artists here... and we have enough. Please draw me something :D Click Here. If possible include your nick. A simple Test. dunno of the PICKLEWAESEL order!!1!2

#34 a1s

a1s

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 12:17 AM

you are? :)
I found it very slow paced, my guys had managed to get just sevral meals and one drink (that I noticed, anyway) as well as got slaughtered by a bear in 4 or 5 hours! I was sort of expecting to deal with the winter by the time I went off to bed...
Those of you being liberal-art majors � don�t worry, advanced mathematics were largely omitted from this text in concern for your mental health.

QUOTE (Mighty Midget)
if BP has potied on Twilight Zone episode, I will strangle him

secret adept of the PICKALLONWEASEL order

#35 DakaSha

DakaSha

Happy Little Tree-hugger

• Banned
  • 2013 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 01:40 AM

yeah so far i think this is great. seemed hard to play at first but after about an hour i wasnt having any problems. i have strated over alot though just to perfect the beginning so i wouldnt know about bears... but the manual says to create some bows or crossbows or something for protection.... which seems to make sense :)

edit: oh and yeah sure its slow paced at first but wait untill you have a hundred dwarfs running around :)

Posted Image

#36 BeefontheBone

BeefontheBone

Self-titling Egotist

• Members
  • 2953 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 11:47 AM

In case you guys missed it, there's a new version available at the DF site. 's a couple of bugfixes, including the one that made your fortress descend into civil war if anyone got sufficiently irritated, and (I think) the one where well-prepared meals were masterpieces and made their creator suffer the "art desecration" unhappiness modifier when eaten.
[center]
QUOTE (gregor)
also consider this - the turkey *male genital*ula is called little asia on some geographical maps maps.

#37 JimmyJ

JimmyJ

Daily Denizen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 12 August 2006 - 06:14 AM

Cool, i shall be fast to download it :)

EDIT: Uh oh , it seems the site is down :)

#38 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6304 posts

Posted 12 August 2006 - 09:25 AM

Works fine for me...

"Flippin' immigrants, stealin' our bandwidth etc. etc." - PrejudiceSucks

#39 BeefontheBone

BeefontheBone

Self-titling Egotist

• Members
  • 2953 posts

Posted 12 August 2006 - 10:09 AM

Really? Won't open for me. Hmmm.

EDIT: Wait, it's fine now. Strange.
[center]
QUOTE (gregor)

#40 JimmyJ

JimmyJ

Daily Denizen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 12 August 2006 - 10:15 PM

Huh, it is working now for me too, i wonder why it was down :|

#41 greywolf

greywolf

The Wanderer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 11:37 PM

Has anyone figured out how to equip items in adventure mode yet? It seems that when I buy things and sell my old sword, I can't equip my handy dandy new one. At least, I can't figure out how...

#42 Umber

Umber

Member Munchkin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 09:38 AM

I presume you have already picked it up? After trade, items have to be picked up manually. And to have a weapon equipped, you simply need to hold it in hand (I think that need to be right hand most of the time, but that may vary because of injuries etc).

#43 greywolf

greywolf

The Wanderer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 09:14 PM

Ah, I got it. Thanks, Umber. This adventure mode has tons of potential, but, sadly, the inventory system still has something to be desired. Now if I can just figure out where to get some water before I die of dehydration...

Back to Work in Progress