138 replies to this topic

#61 michael_gry

michael_gry

N00b-a-R00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 05:31 PM

The composition of the original is great, if you can balance it properly.  What medium do you like to use?  Have you tried to modify it with colored pencils?  Try using a pen sometime (seriously).  Once you become proficient with a pen you may never want to go back to pencils.  You know, the texture of the paper can have a lot to do with the final piece, too.  Looking forward to your next post.

#62 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4277 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 05:49 PM

I haven't tried to spoil it with colors, I suck with them. I do use pen sometimes, but prefer ink or pencil. But hmm... My poor English steps out here, what does "What medium do you like to use?" mean? :P

One important factor I'm missing is patience. I hurry too much, especially in the end and can spoil things seriously, like Tai's lips and her glasses. One thing that leads to hurrying is that in the beginning I'm far too perfectionist and can waste huge amounts of time to get some detail finished. And my patience is limited! OMG
...70 years... LOL

#63 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6304 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 07:30 PM

"Medium" here is basically just a fancy way of saying "what you draw on and what you draw with", Juni.:P

"Flippin' immigrants, stealin' our bandwidth etc. etc." - PrejudiceSucks

#64 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 08:55 PM

Oh, okay. Still sounds a little funny to me. But I guess there're many sayings in Finnish that people think are totally crazy, admitted. Anyways, I like drawing with pencil and ink, mostly people and sometimes various scenes: quite kind of Michael's drawing of soldiers in Iraq. Sometimes drawing only vehicles or structures. Usually they still have some poeple in it. I also enjoy drawing nature, but I'm not too good at it and thus I have unconsciously partly left it behind. And I have to admit, that with ink I like to draw more cartoonish (see my Nemi, for example) and then I may even use colors, but mostly black and white, with only pencil.

Btw, I left that pic I drew today to my friend's house and he'll hopefully get it scanned soon, so I can post it here. And sorry Tai for drawing only you, but I find your picture challenging and I want to do it once well! When I'm satisfied - or better said you're satisfied :P - I move on to next challenge.
...70 years... LOL

#65 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 10:18 AM

Okay... Looks like I'll never get that pic scanned at my friend. But. Now I got scanner and I compared to scanned and cam-photoed versions of the first pic I made of Tai and she certainly deserves to see the scanned version (though resized down 75%, only thinking of slow-connection users - Tai can get the full size pic e-mailed if she wants). Here you go:

Attached Files

• Attached File  tai1.jpg   32.77K   120 downloads

...70 years... LOL

#66 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 03:04 PM

Okay. Adjusted that pic above a little (didn't first even realize it wasn't thumbnail...) and fixed the contrast, so it looks more like the actual picture. And after I had managed to do that, I decided to add Nemi here too. The rest were so crappy I'm not going to touch them, so don't worry, I'm not spamming my own thread full! :(

Quick edit: Oh, totally forgot, I have to visit my friend who was supposed to scan that better pic of Tai and scan it myself. It's far better, imo.

Attached Files

...70 years... LOL

#67 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 04:48 AM

Ok, here it is. And now I'm not sure anymore is it any better... :(

Attached Files

...70 years... LOL

#68 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6304 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 06:50 AM

The hood looks a little like a lampshade, but otherwise very nice.:(

#69 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 09:56 AM

Hmm... After careful comparison, I can't understand why I ever kept that new one better... First one is on paper, on screen and on my mind now far better. Sorry.

Now I'm off to new challenges. ThatSino! wanted rhino-sized beetles, if I remember correctly, but unfortunately I excel in facial pics, not in insects. But we'll see what I can come up with... *goes searching good resource pics*

Edit: Not quite my business... This sketch I came up with, but I'm not happy and it wasn't easy. And I'm still not happy with it.

2Edit: Two sketches, still not happy. Not at all...

Attached Files

...70 years... LOL

#70 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 07:25 PM

Something totally different, connected to my gameproject here. Comments appreciated!

Gah... Don't know what went wrong. It's lacking nice celtic borders...

Attached Files

...70 years... LOL

#71 Indie

Indie

N00b-a-R00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 07:40 PM

Nemiiiiiiiii <3

I think that last one looks pretty good too, but I believe that something seems to be missing.. Not quite sure what though.

EEEH! I feel totally awesomeish now, the drawings; it's TAI! ^___^ Wahaha. Nice work ;D

#72 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 07:50 PM

Okay, no celtic border then. But this is the final for now and I'm considering it official title of my game, until somebody does better!

Attached Files

• Attached File  NEW.jpg   62.62K   115 downloads

...70 years... LOL

#73 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 09:11 PM

Okay, finally made myself a decent siggie. Well, decent and decent... But, surprise surprise, it's related to my forum game!Posted Image
...70 years... LOL

#74 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 12:50 PM

Long time no sketching!
Posted Image
...70 years... LOL

#75 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6304 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 04:38 PM

Looks like you wearing a wig and heavily padded clothes, Juni.:)