41 replies to this topic

#1 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6270 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 01:58 PM

Since I feel in a music sort of mood from last nite thought I'd do another discussion, this time on your favourite lead singer, who is it, why all the questions and answers you wish to express.

Mine, well definitely tough to say, Freddie Mercury ranks right up there as a fav no question about it, as well Geoff Tate from Queensryche for his multi-octive range he can still hit high notes like he could back in the day, as well Bruce Dickenson from Iron Maiden definitely receives props for being able to continue with his style to this day and still rocking on.

So who's your favourite lead singer?

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

#2 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4277 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 05:01 AM

Simple: Tarja Turunen from Nightwish. Beauty, grace, voice and operasinger technique. And of course excellent opera-metal music. If you are or got interested, homepage can be found here.
...70 years... LOL

#3 BeefontheBone

BeefontheBone

Self-titling Egotist

• Members
  • 2953 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 09:23 AM

Alison Goldfrapp, or possibly Shirley Manson of Garbage fame (EDIT: Doh, just found out they look like splitting up :) - apparently they're going on indefinite hiatus after the Australian tour. Gah!) Alison has this incredible sexual energy on stage, coupled with an incredible voice and an obvious and infectious enjoyment of what she does. If you ever get chance to see Goldfrapp live, don't miss it! I'm seeing them in October for the second time and I'm dead excited about it.

I rather like Dave Gahan's voice too, but I wouldn't say he was a great frontman. For that you need a Robert Plant, preferably with Jimmy backing him up.
[center]
QUOTE (gregor)
also consider this - the turkey *male genital*ula is called little asia on some geographical maps maps.

I'm your solar-powered princess/Your technological soulmate.

#4 taikara

taikara

Tai-Fu Mastah

• Members
  • 2389 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 12:18 PM

Maynard James Keenan.

I'm slightly obsessed with the man  :)

(but not to the panty-throwing and "Will you marry me?" sign-holding fanatic extent, thankfully... that's just tacky.) ;)
..<[[[Tofu Ninja of the Pickasldawessle Order]]]>..
QUOTE (Tai - in response to DD on how people who fear change are like cats)
you mean the "you moved my litterbox, so I'm going to pee in your clothes hamper" attitude?
Yes, I just quoted myself. ph34r my T4i-F00!!.
doodoodoo!!!

#5 BeefontheBone

BeefontheBone

Self-titling Egotist

• Members
  • 2953 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 12:43 PM

Maynard does indeed rock, but I've never had chance to see him live; they only play very occasional arena gigs in the South of england :)
[center]
QUOTE (gregor)
also consider this - the turkey *male genital*ula is called little asia on some geographical maps maps.

#6 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • 6270 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 01:52 PM

I admit haven't heard Maynard *expects to get flamed for saying that* :) I think Geoff Tate's an excellent vocalist, he just has a presence on stage that gets your attention and when he hits the high notes of his songs, look out, honestly listen to a song like Queen of the Reich, where he sings in a super high octaive that's just insanity honestly, not for the faint of heart singers that's for sure. He also comes from a family with singers, his aunt was an opera singer, mom jazz singer and dad gospal singer, must be in the genes hehe.

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

#7 BeefontheBone

BeefontheBone

Self-titling Egotist

• Members
  • 2953 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 03:57 PM

If you like Queensryche you'd probably enjoy some tool or A Perfect Circle. I'd go for Lateralus and Thirteenth Step (repectively).
[center]
QUOTE (gregor)

#8 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • 6270 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 04:58 PM

For sure I'll have to check em out, other lead singer I must give props too is Matt Barlow from Iced Earth he's also a vocalist who I've recently listened to his work for the band and it's very good how he can vary his style, but unfortuantely he left the band in 2003 to join the U.S Department of Homeland Security  :) yeah apparently it was because of the 9-11 attacks some personal reasons behind it.

#9 PrejudiceSucks

PrejudiceSucks

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1865 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 05:29 PM

Brian Molko. Pure genius in a bisexual package.

#10 Dvoe

Dvoe

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 05:32 PM

My personal favs:

Bruce Dickinson (Iron Maiden)
Tony Kakko (Sonata Arctica)
Tarja Turunen (Nightwish)
James Hetfield (Metallica)
Warrel Dane (Nevermore)
Matt Barlow (Iced Earth)
Geoff Tate (Queensryche)
:angel:

#11 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • 6270 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 07:00 PM

Only thing I wish is that Tate could have maintained his voice like he used to kinda like Dickenson can now a days, least he's kinda got his back from when I went to their show here, sniff so beautiful. Now if Maiden could come here...

#12 Flop

Flop

Aspiring Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1318 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 11:19 PM

Damn, you gotta get off that Queensryche trip DD. :angel:

I have to agree with you on Freddie Mercury, though. The best lead singer ever, IMO. Bruce Dickinson is great as well.

As for the worst singer I have to say Lækre Jens from Red Warszawa. Yeah, I know, none of you know who he is. Suffice it to say that he was kicked out of the band on three seperate occassions, because he simply can't sing. ;)
Furthermore, it is my opinion that Carthage must be destroyed.

#13 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • 6270 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 03:48 AM

Never! Off queensryche what blasphemy you speak of. :angel: Actually mostly getting into a lot of Iron Maiden now, so the tides they are a changing.

#14 BeefontheBone

BeefontheBone

Self-titling Egotist

• Members
  • 2953 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 08:25 AM

the tides they are a changing.
Isn't that Dylan? :angel:
[center]
QUOTE (gregor)

#15 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • 6270 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 01:07 PM

Heh so it is, well then I'll just finish it off by saying "Living on a razors edge.
Balancing on a ledge.
Living on a rasors edge" not Dylan but it'll do. :angel:

Back to Community Contests, Games, and Role Playing