93 replies to this topic

#1 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6270 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 06:02 PM

Looking through this board there hasn't been a music topic in well quite a while actually so I thought let's start one shall we. ;)

Okay now I'm going to ask for your memorable concert experiences, was it really memorable? Did it live up to your expectations? Was it a waste of time after it was all said and done? Describe how it went for ya, how the experience was and whatever else ya care to add in.

Describe whatever comes to mind,

As well ya can bring up future concerts you might want to see someday in the future.

Okay for me haven't really had any concert experiences, except going to see an opera one with my parents when I was young, missed a hockey game to see it too argh other than that though on Sept 20 really stoked going to go see Queensryche perform here, ;)  this is probably their last tour and I am so pumped to see them really am, going to be a sweet concert.  ;) Tickets cost me 40 bucks, kinda a small venue though for them, so kinda is a shame, sound system isn't that great there either :) and found out System of a Down plays the same night, ah wells, hopefully it gets a good showing, was selling really good at the beginning so we'll see.

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

#2 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6304 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 09:02 PM

Do classical concerts count as well? I went to a piano concert at the Sheldonian once with a friend (some Russian pianist whose name I forget was playing Rachmaninov, I think) and we decided to get the cheapeast tickets, which turned out to be a very bad mistake: Our seats were up in the circle, which is basically just a bunch of fairly steep (but narrow) stairs. The concert was sold out, so my friend and I had to sit there squashed between two groups of German tourists, with people's knees poking into the small of our backs and our knees poking into some other people's backs. It was extremely uncomfortable, but at least it was cheap.:) And the concert itself was quite nice, although my back hurt for quite a while afterwards.

"Flippin' immigrants, stealin' our bandwidth etc. etc." - PrejudiceSucks

#3 Puffin

Puffin

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 09:15 PM

I went to symphony orchestra concert last christmas, bunch of people i know were playing. i was sick, and coughing the whole time. Had to go to the bathroom once, i felt like i was suffocating.
user posted image
©Kiddiarni

#4 PrejudiceSucks

PrejudiceSucks

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1865 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 07:04 AM

Leeds fest this year. I feel so happy about it.

Anyway, I went a bit too far up to the front of the Foo Fighters and was promptly pushed over and stamped on. Then about five people picked me up and crowdsurfed me to within a few meters of the Foos! Result!

Although my arm still hurts.

Oh and this classical concert in a cavern in Majorca (the Cuevas del Drach if you must know) which was really, really odd. Because they were playing in boats, underground, on a lake. Enjoyable none the less.

#5 BeefontheBone

BeefontheBone

Self-titling Egotist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2953 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 11:44 AM

Goldfrapp a couple of Easters ago were great - off to see them again in October :) Best one was probably seeing Kosheen at the Pepsi Sziget festival in Budapest 3 years ago - they were on in the middle of the afternoon in baking heat; quite possibly the sweatiest experience of my life ;)

As for disappointing gigs, Queens of the Stone Age sucked when I saw them - there was no energy, no connection with the crowd and you couldn't see them for all the smoke and stuff on stage. They might as well have just put on a CD.
[center]
QUOTE (gregor)
also consider this - the turkey *male genital*ula is called little asia on some geographical maps maps.

I'm your solar-powered princess/Your technological soulmate.

#6 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6304 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 12:22 PM

Maybe they did, and that's why they needed all that smoke and stuff...

#7 taikara

taikara

Tai-Fu Mastah

• Members
  • 2389 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 12:44 PM

A Perfect Circle two years ago... it was a spiritual experience :)

Maynard is just the man.
..<[[[Tofu Ninja of the Pickasldawessle Order]]]>..
QUOTE (Tai - in response to DD on how people who fear change are like cats)
you mean the "you moved my litterbox, so I'm going to pee in your clothes hamper" attitude?
Yes, I just quoted myself. ph34r my T4i-F00!!.
doodoodoo!!!

#8 BeefontheBone

BeefontheBone

Self-titling Egotist

• Members
  • 2953 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 02:38 PM

Grrr. *jealous* - they only play very infrequently over here (even less often than Tool) and only the odd arena gig in London, which makes it really expensive and crap for me to travel down there. It's very irritating, as Maynard is indeed the man - APC rule.
[center]
QUOTE (gregor)
also consider this - the turkey *male genital*ula is called little asia on some geographical maps maps.

#9 PrejudiceSucks

PrejudiceSucks

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1865 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 02:43 PM

Edit by Beef: Doh, sorry - pressed Edit instead of Quote and didn't notice. I THINK this is roughly what you posted :S

Didn't get to see QOTSA at Leeds fest this year because I only got tickets to Sunday. Roots Manuva were good though.

Edited by BeefontheBone, 07 September 2005 - 08:26 PM.

#10 Doubler

Doubler

A regular Llama

• Admin
  • 2740 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 04:35 PM

Went to the Simon & Garfunkel concert in Amsterdam a couple of years back. Wonderfull experience, even though the sound in the Arena sucks.
This years vacation took me to Ieperfest. Absolutely not my music, but the atmosphere was great, and it was fun to hang out with friends.

Wonderfull sig and avvie by Taikara :D

#11 DakaSha

DakaSha

Happy Little Tree-hugger

• Banned
  • 2013 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 04:43 PM

went to a german hip-hop concert...

Curse was the main act and the supporting act was Olli-Banjo... my faveroute german hip-hop artist... anyways after the concert i went up to banjo and said hey great job up there... he said:

"Thanks man... is there gonna be a party here?"
"I dont know dude its your friggen concert!"
"Oh yeah.. come on lets go start a party"

so then i was walkin around with banjo tryin to get a party started... the people were to nervous to really say anything with banjo standing there so it didnt really work out... it was fun though.

Posted Image
For all you artists here... and we have enough. Please draw me something :D Click Here. If possible include your nick. A simple Test. dunno of the PICKLEWAESEL order!!1!2

#12 Puffin

Puffin

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 04:52 PM

Alice Cooper is great live.... A GREAT show, there was a big gillioutine, and they killed Alice ;)

I got the biggest shiver in my life when they played "Poison" :)
user posted image
©Kiddiarni

#13 BeefontheBone

BeefontheBone

Self-titling Egotist

• Members
  • 2953 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 08:26 PM

And this is what I was trying to post before ;)

Roots Manuva were good though.

WAS good, surely? I like Roots - my sig had some of his lyrics in it until yesterday when The Simpsons replaced it. Awfully Deep is a quality album.

What was everyone's first gig? Mine was Incubus at the MEN arena right after Morning View came out (which was a crappy album) - I remember the stupidly-named Hoobastank supporting, gettting hugged by some random gay bloke who stood on my foot and kept shouting at Brendan to get his kit off and being pleasantly surprised when they played Nebula in the encore.

I'd also like to recommend The Faint both live and just generally - I first got into them when they supported Placebo (2 days after the aforementioned Goldfrapp gig, in fact) - the keyboard player was playing chords with one hand at dancing in some bizarre manner with the rest of his body, 'twas fantastic. They started my interest in Electroclash that night when I bought Danse Macabre (their new album is even better, amazingly :)).

The bands I've seen the most are probably Capdown (they play Leeds a lot and are much better live than on CD) and Idlewild (3 times now, I think).
[center]
QUOTE (gregor)

#14 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6304 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 08:41 PM

BeefontheBone, on Sep 7 2005, 08:26 PM, said:

What was everyone's first gig?
You don't want to know... Oh, all right, I'm in a chatty mood tonight, so I'll tell you: Manfred Mann's Earth Band. Believe it or not, I even went there with my parents (well, I was twelve, so I would have been too young to drive anyway). And what's even more embarassing, I didn't mind.:)

#15 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • 6270 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 09:06 PM

Ack first concert experience, try a Pavorati concert that my mom wanted to go too, yeah mentioned it in my first post, missed hockey game but yeah first one I was young and such, ack and my dad got interviewed by the local news channel since I guess it was a big thing, I was in the shot with him ack das not cool eh :)

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

Back to Community Contests, Games, and Role Playing